UKBouldering.com

V7 flash (Read 13753 times)

BenF

• forum hero
#50 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 12:12:37 pm
yup, the nouveau chimp is well better.   :thumbsup:

Although I'm sure about half an hour ago his avatar was a playing card...  What's going on?  Very rapid avatar amendment.

And yeah, people stop bashing this forum and the karma system please.  It's quality.  The right mix of serious discussion and p*ss-taking I feel.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#51 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 12:13:58 pm
Fools!  Fools!  Bring back the Ass of Spades!

BenF

• forum hero
#52 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 12:14:38 pm
Fools!  Fools!  Bring back the Ass of Spades!

Well if you will call a spade a donkey.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#53 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 12:34:18 pm
Spade's a spade, youth!

BenF

• forum hero
#54 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 12:46:07 pm
Haha, I think I just got some negative karma for requesting the chimp's return.  :lol:

Or was it for asking people to stop dissing the forum?  F*ck knows.  That's the great thing about this Karma thing.  You never quite know why you got it.  I mean you could get a load of bad or good karma 'cos someone just read an old post and not because of something you wrote five minutes before.  A bit like life really; you never truly know the score or how people really think of you.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#55 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 01:24:20 pm
how people really think of you.

If karma is an indicator, -207 (and counting) says alot  :lol:

sasscotty

• addict
#56 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 01:30:43 pm
Have I got the highest negative karma thing then?:lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#57 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 01:43:21 pm

I wouldn't find it quite so funny.

I've toyed with the idea of banning users once they reach a certain level of negative karma - the idea is that the community is self-policing to a large extent. If the community dislikes somebody that much then they probably don't belong here.

I won't put this in place until I can get a breakdown of karma votes, just to ensure that one particular person isn't voting over and over again....which will be considered an abuse of the system with it's own penalty.

BenF

• forum hero
#58 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 01:55:46 pm
I've toyed with the idea of banning users once they reach a certain level of negative karma - the idea is that the community is self-policing to a large extent. If the community dislikes somebody that much then they probably don't belong here.

What a cool idea, although it obviously has it's pitfalls (as you point out Bubba).  I love the community idea of that.

sasscotty

• addict
#59 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 01:58:01 pm
I guess your banning me then because some body sits there all day clicking the negative thing.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#60 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 02:00:34 pm
Once I can log karma (going to work on this as a matter of priority) it will be easy to do without pitfalls.

When introduced, I will probably just reset all karma anyway, so to all those abusing the system, stop it now.

I guess your banning me then because some body sits there all day clicking the negative thing.
Nope. If somebody is sitting there doing that all day then they will recieve an appropriate penalty, eg
- transferring all the negative karma that they have dished out to one particular person over to them instead.
- banning them from using the karma system all together.
- giving them a temporary forum ban
- etc.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#61 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 02:11:17 pm
I think it's important not to have sense of humour failures with this karma thing.  And I see no reason why Scotty should think that he's going to be banned.  He amuses me greatly, especially this morning, which has been moderately trying, Salut Scotty.

But seriously, those Monkeys, man!

Seriously now - If flashing stuff is what flips your wig (and flashing stuff really does flip mine:  I ALWAYS try and flash as a general rule) you need to start putting some serious effort in.  Mostly this comes from upstairs.  I use every atom of anger in me, and I find it works.  Psyche is everything.  As is positivity.

Hope this helps.

EDIT - It took me around 4 years to go from being able to flash V7 to break through the V8 and V8+ grades.  I've never flashed V9.  And that is my motivation.  Sieging sucks.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 02:23:58 pm by Houdini »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#62 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 02:23:01 pm

I agree to a certain extent, but if the karma is no use then I might as well just take it off.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#63 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 02:25:25 pm
Point taken.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#64 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 02:34:44 pm
i hate sieging as well, but im so bad at flashing.
im getting alot better now in one-session sends, as i was saying in the appropriate thread. my thought is that if i can flash something it was too easy and so not worth. i know, it doesnt make sense, but im always searching the highest possible intensity, and i often find it only on more difficult problems, that i cant flash or do in one session.

edit:
its always worth to climb, im talking only in terms of the highest difficulty i can afford. hmmm, it still doesnt make sense... :-\

JaseM

#65 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 08:37:28 pm
:agree: (i think?) If I flash something I tend not to rate the problem, it seems to lack the intensity of something I can't actually do straight away.
However, sieging something for weeks on end just sends me loopy and it becomes more a psychological battle to do the thing rather than a different sequence or an improvement in technique etc. A few sessions working on a problem is about all I can handle then I need to find something different

BenF

• forum hero
#66 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 08:58:57 pm
:agree: (i think?) If I flash something I tend not to rate the problem, it seems to lack the intensity of something I can't actually do straight away.

Don't agree with that Jase.  In terms of rating a problem's quality anyway - if it's a good problem it'll still be good on the flash.  I'm shit at working stuff and I usually aim for the flash and get a hell of a lot of satisfaction from it.  However I find it near impossible to grade a flashed problem because I obviously got it all right and it came together perfectly.  This just feels flukey to me or alternatively I often immediately think something I flashed was soft at the grade (and next visit end up spending about fifty goes before giving up and wondering if my original flash was some kind of dream).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#67 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 09:03:30 pm
I agree with BenF.

Flashing stuff is special. I think it's the best feeling one can get bouldering.  It's wrong not to rate a problem just because you flashed it: at that particular moment in time you were on fire. This is the bit where you are allowed to feel very good indeed.  Here, you rate yourself - don't denigrate the climb.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#68 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 10:15:23 pm
I agree to a certain extent, but if the karma is no use then I might as well just take it off.

Is it any use? I've never used it - always thought that if I can't disagree or praise someone directly, then what's the point of the forums? Seems to me clicking + or - is a step below even txt spk.

JaseM

#69 Re: V7 flash
July 05, 2006, 11:44:32 pm

Don't agree with that Jase.  In terms of rating a problem's quality anyway - if it's a good problem it'll still be good on the flash.  I'm shit at working stuff and I usually aim for the flash and get a hell of a lot of satisfaction from it.  However I find it near impossible to grade a flashed problem because I obviously got it all right and it came together perfectly.  This just feels flukey to me or alternatively I often immediately think something I flashed was soft at the grade (and next visit end up spending about fifty goes before giving up and wondering if my original flash was some kind of dream).
I'm not really talking about the quality of a problem, 'rate' was not really the right word to use as it is quite ambiguous. What I am referring to is the satisfaction I get from an intense problem that requires more attention than merely turning up. Something that needs to be worked at. However, I don't mean more difficult / higher grade = better, but if I don't feel that there is an element of difficulty about the problem I don't value the achievement to myself. The arete problem I showed you is my favorite series of moves, though a long way short of the hardest problem, however there was a degree of struggle to dispatch it.
Maybe I just like to torture myself and lack the self worth to appreciate anything that is achieved easily?......Probably not though

BenF

• forum hero
#70 Re: V7 flash
July 06, 2006, 08:01:45 am
I'm not really talking about the quality of a problem, 'rate' was not really the right word to use as it is quite ambiguous. What I am referring to is the satisfaction I get from an intense problem that requires more attention than merely turning up. Something that needs to be worked at. However, I don't mean more difficult / higher grade = better, but if I don't feel that there is an element of difficulty about the problem I don't value the achievement to myself. The arete problem I showed you is my favorite series of moves, though a long way short of the hardest problem, however there was a degree of struggle to dispatch it.
Maybe I just like to torture myself and lack the self worth to appreciate anything that is achieved easily?......Probably not though

Alright, fair enough Jase.  You've always been up for the struggle/fight when it comes to climbing, I wish I could keep my attention on projects for longer or manage to work things properly.  I've seen friends get on stuff that they can't get even close to, but they persevere, put the time in and eventually climb them.  I don't think I've ever actually done that.  I know I'm missing something.

Then again, the flash is very important for me.  (Note that I said "the flash" and not "flashing").

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal