UKBouldering.com

Beginner Mat and Rock Shoes Recommendations (Read 3111 times)

bikerboy

After a spate of borrowing stuff at indoor centres...now looking for some recommendations on the following:-

1. Rock shoes - likely to be for bouldering principally (initially lime/sandstonbe most likely) - I'm a Euro size 46 witha wide fit.

2. A portable crash mat that will be fold/roll up to a compact enough size to fit across the pillion seat and panniers on a motorbike.

Probably need to add that I'm basically a 'newbie' so not sure if that'll have on bearing on advice given.

Cheers  :bow:

Martin

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Try lots of different boots on and get those that fit you best ;)

No idea on the mat front.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
as bubba pointed out the most important thing with rockshoes is top get the pair that fits best.  Try on lots of pairs, preferably in a shop with some kind of climbing wall for testing them - make sure you can really transmit your weight onto small edges via your big-toes.  The "as worn by so-and-so" advertising bumpf and sticky rubber claims are minor factors compared to fit.  Brands commonly recommended for people with wide feet are La Sportiva (Katanas fit my wide feet brilliantly and seem popular on limestone) and Boreals (Crux, Piranha and Stingma all look nice) though just try everything....

Re mats... no direct experience of motorbike compatibility but a good choice for a small mat, and now thanks to rebranding exercise, available at a bargain price is the Franklin Satellite:

http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=2&t=15&p=2443&sid=df175e2d6999f8ceee29ba86f2bb9b57

Another good small mat is the Pod, Alpkit also make some mats that are very good value (and their customer service is reputedly excellent):

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=252

If these are all too big for a bike... I have seen some small mats whilst out-and-about that fold into three (rather than as a doubled "suitcase" like all of the above) - unfortunately I can't remember the brand ... though I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.....

Duma

• forum hero
indeed they shall...

You're thinking of the Triple Pad - Jo Montchaussé's brand, they fold up to 40 x 85 x 24 cm., and are probably the only thing that may go on a Motorbike. Get them from bleau.info - 205 euro.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 12:21:43 pm by Duma »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

You can't link pics from bleau.info ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I Thailand I regularly travelled by motorbike with two mats over my shoulder on one side.  It meant that I had to lean out as a counter-weight on the other side.  Which I found hilarious and dangerous on such awful roads.  

Bouldering mats on bikes at speed = not crap!

True - you cannot link from www.bleu!

Duma

• forum hero
Am I missing something? showed up ok on my pc.  Or am I not allowed to rather than being unable to?

Edited anyway to remove pic :shrug:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

It'll show up on your pc coz your browser will have cached it...

Dunno why bleau.info are so tightarsed about hotlinking, but there we go...

bikerboy

You guys are pretty slick.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the immeditae and helpful advice given.

I'm so overwhelmed, I'll need to go and have a lie down. :yawn:

Great stuff..cheers

Mart

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I think motorcyclists are maybe the boldest people out there.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
I carried my bouldering mat via the rucksack style straps (it's one of the big fold in half Metolius jobs) on my back whilst riding a twist-an-go moped in flip-flops and no helmet whilst out on Goa's mean streets. Fucking hectic! Nothing like it for the old adrenaline buzz. Reasoned that, if I fell off, I'd probably land on top of the mat on my back. Worst thing was it acted like a parachute. Serious drag forces trying to pull me off the back of the bike! Happy days though.8) 

JaseM

2. A portable crash mat that will be fold/roll up to a compact enough size to fit across the pillion seat and panniers on a motorbike.

I used to have a bike as my only form of transport, I basically didn't bother with a mat (ahhh.. the good old days) and carried my kit in a rucksack and a old sleeping mat to keep the boots clean. I now have a car and bike, obviously I prefer the bike and would be very interested to know how you get on transporting a mat about. If you use the rucksack style ones please be careful with the parachute effect and remember cross winds not just your speed will affect it. Let me know how it all pans out.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
You're thinking of the Triple Pad - Jo Montchaussé's brand, they fold up to 40 x 85 x 24 cm., and are probably the only thing that may go on a Motorbike. Get them from bleau.info - 205 euro.

Is it me being tight, or does 200€ sound too much more one of these weeny naff mats?  How French!

A Franklin for 55 quid - refered to somewhere else recently on UKB sounds a mega deal.  And what's a beginnner mat?  Is it different from a Pro mat?  Just make sure is damn firm.

bikerboy

And what's a beginnner mat?  Is it different from a Pro mat?  Just make sure is damn firm.
[/quote]

Well......err...one that I'm likely to spending quite some time on....therefore may well need to double up as 'siesta suitable' mat if all the exertion gets too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

but in all fairness subject perhaps should have been worded 'Beginner Shoe and Mat Recommendations'

Off to try out some shoes this weekend and much as I like the folded dimensions of the 'Bleau' advertised €205 mat - it seems quite overpriced - as do many of these products given the fact that they are just foam pieces stuffed in durable covers. :shrug:

So the 'Franklin satellite' is top of the list at the moment - although I won't be carrying it across my back - I wasn't looking to get in a spot of parascending at the same time!!!!!!!!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
POD - always

bikerboy

Well ended up with some La Sportiva beginners shoes from Blue Lagoon in Wareham - nice guy Martin who runs the joint and extremely helpful. Was also keen to show me some stuff across in Portland.  :thumbsup:

As for the mat £50 bought me a 'Whoompf' from www.alpkit.com, top service, arrived within 24 hours and no charge for P&P - how do they do that.  Looks like it'll go on the bike too. Well chuffed  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Red Dwarf

Aaarrrggghhh...why didn't I think of Alpkit when I was back in the UK two month ago...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Well ended up with some La Sportiva ....As for the mat £50 bought me a 'Whoompf' from www.alpkit.com, top service, arrived within 24 hours and no charge for P&P - how do they do that.  Looks like it'll go on the bike too. Well chuffed  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

well if  my twin recommendations of Alpkit and La Sportiva don't get me some karma points there is truly no justice in the world! 

bikerboy

well if  my twin recommendations of Alpkit and La Sportiva don't get me some karma points there is truly no justice in the world! 
[/quote]

Heh as far as I'm concerned the vibes you're sending out are all zen my friend!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

although let's face it you did cover a couple more bases in your recommendations!!! so I figure you had a reasonable chance of scoring

Mucho grande anyhow!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal