• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#26 Re: sick body tension
July 04, 2006, 05:40:16 pm
Indeed!  Crossbows!  Archery!  Jousting!  One-arm front levers!

Is this some Italian Highland Games?

Oh, just because John Gill did it - doesn't mean we should.  That fruit ripped is bi-cep off the bone, twice.  Now that's one injury I'm keen to avoid!  Twice!  (Shivering with horror smiley)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:05:45 am by Houdini »

route149

• addict
  • 'Let's see how Ben does it...'
#27 Re: sick body tension
July 04, 2006, 06:56:17 pm

Oh, just because John Gill did it - doesn't mean we should.  That fruit ripped his bi-cep off the bone, twice.  Now that's one injury I'm keen to avoid!  Twice!  (Shivering with horror smiley)

did he then eat the bicep, with fava beans, perhaps?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#28 Re: sick body tension
July 04, 2006, 11:49:57 pm
As I'm sure Nibile & perhaps The_Dom will tell you, when consuming human flesh (an excellent source of creatine) a fine Chianti is more important than Fava beans.

I found this site to be most interesting, as I love gymnastics, and core strength is where it's at.

click here pain-lovers

how do we know he's italian?  he  might live there but be faking the dodgy english.  might be john gill hanging out in italy.  or john gaskins.  who knows?

and....
check out my pics. doubts about me being italian will disappear instantly.

There is only one sure way of checking if Nibile is an all Italian gentleman.  And I think you know what I'm talking about...   (bagsy Slopes does the checking!)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:05:09 am by Houdini »

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#29 Re: sick body tension
July 05, 2006, 12:49:32 pm
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

siena is an amazing town. few things are better than going bouldering in a fresh summer afternoon, and then get back and stay out till dawn..

i think gill ripped his bicep while bouldering, not training....and thanks houdini, that was a scary reminder...may as well drop the challenge...

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#30 Re: sick body tension
July 05, 2006, 01:17:41 pm
I'd like to see gaskins core training regime, maybe 100 front levers balancing an anvil on his toes

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#31 Re: sick body tension
July 05, 2006, 01:30:21 pm
My spies tell me that John prefers to employ the King James bible, as anvils are hard to find these days...

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#32 Re: sick body tension
July 05, 2006, 01:33:02 pm
Once met a man who said when he met Gaskins (this was years ago, possibly in the 90s, possibly before) he was doing sit-start campussing. He had a campus board he could reach from the ground, and just two rungs on it, made from wood dowels. Doing the move thus meant keeping legs at 90 degrees. When he could do the move, he shaved a bit more off the dowels.

route149

• addict
#33 Re: sick body tension
July 05, 2006, 08:54:11 pm
balancing an anvil on his toes
Are you sure he used his toes?  Heard it was a part of the body a bit higher up.  Balancing an anvil on that is unbeatable as a party trick and for killer core stability.

route149

• addict
#34 Re: sick body tension
July 05, 2006, 08:55:21 pm
few things are better than going bouldering in a fresh summer afternoon, and then get back and stay out till dawn..

where is best bouldering round there, btw?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#35 Re: sick body tension
July 10, 2006, 01:25:28 pm
in one hour drive we are at over 4000ft, its called mount amiata. summer is perfect. ok, really, not perfect but very good. goin tomorrow to clean up new stuff!!!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#36 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 02:50:22 pm
I've seen some stunning examples of core-strength in my time, but the dude-and-a-half on this video takes the biscuit. 

What this guy does just before the vid ends blows my mind. 

Don't take my word for it, see for yourself by moving your mouse towards the light-blue text!

Toad

• regular
#37 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 03:50:43 pm
:jaw:

JR

• forum abuser
#38 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 05:37:34 pm

What this guy does just before the vid ends blows my mind. 

Don't take my word for it, see for yourself by moving your mouse towards the light-blue text!

if you mean the footless press ups, remember watching Toby Benham doing them then trying them.  Impressive, simply having the power to effectively bench press your weight at an angle with that much ease is hard enough, but whilst having the core strength to hold your body is phenomenal.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#39 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 07:06:43 pm
think thats on one of huffys training vids? bear in mind that these people are medically classified as midgets, purely for the take on levers etc. i would be psyched to see some impressive stuff from someone who is not a stump (for core stuff). best i can think of so far is dave thomas holding front levers at the edge woody

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#40 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 07:15:02 pm
but front levers just aren't that hard. We need some other test of core strength. I can't do those fingertip planch pushup, and neither could toby could he? I know he could push ups in a handstand (which isn't particulary hard either) but I never saw him to those bad boys. so dense and others...

1. devise a test

2. everyone tries

3. we see what core strength really is

to all those wannabe's
“A competitive world offers two possibilities. You can lose. Or, if you want to win, you can change.”   :lol:

JR

• forum abuser
#41 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 07:24:41 pm
but front levers just aren't that hard. We need some other test of core strength. I can't do those fingertip planch pushup, and neither could toby could he? I know he could push ups in a handstand (which isn't particulary hard either) but I never saw him to those bad boys. so dense and others...

for real, was doing them in my bedroom back in the day.  Came up on a bike to get some music for his mp3 player, shortly after having run from sheffield to matlock for no real reason.  Fucking loon.

Where the hell is he nowadays?  spain?

fuck man even i can do push ups in a handstand (as long as someone holds my feet) :whistle:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 07:27:18 pm by JR »

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#42 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 07:27:27 pm
WOW. Honorary wad point for Toby! Last I heard he was in NZ again but had gone and joined a Circus or circus school...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#43 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 07:46:32 pm
Well, after reading 'fingertip planch press-up' I immediately gave it a go.  And yes, they are piss, and I should put out at this juncture that 1)  I am pissed  & 2)  I am a stumpy.  So yes, they are too goddam easy.  Front levers too, again far to easy for a guy that weighs less than a Penny Black or six.

I thought I would try and do some of those finger-tip push-ups with my body horizontal to and off the floor...

...I failed comprehensively.  These are officially nails.  However,  I found it an invaluable, nay perfect, exercise for generating stars before my eyes, and I feel extremely woozy and must sit down a while and perhaps drink more.

I thought it most impressive when the geezer was in a handstand and revolved his body/legs around without losing it.  Most cool.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 07:48:31 pm by Houdini »

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#44 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 08:00:17 pm
you just did this???

WAD

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#45 Re: sick body tension
July 14, 2006, 08:15:08 pm
Not as well as that young chap there, that's for sure.  Arms not so straight, legs not as wide, but almost there.  I put this down to very long arms and short legs, being light, and a savage push-up regime and some hop energy that will help me forget the seering pain I now have in my armpits!

What I'm saying is - I am no wad.  Just built for it.

That young chap there is quite something, and I must confess to a feeling somewhat envious of his preturnatural talent.

EDIT - I would like to confess that I've been trying these all week, and have not found them to be as easy as I may have earlier suggested....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:17:38 pm by Houdini »

a dense loner

• forum hero
#46 Re: sick body tension
July 15, 2006, 09:50:53 am
did none of you read my post? toby is medically a midget, he is built for these things, i would like it known that i think he's a monster at this kind of thing, however i am talking about impressive core stuff from slightly taller people. i have seen a fair few things so when i say watching dave do a front lever was impressive i mean it was pretty impressive. so give me your core stories people...

handstand push-ups with someone holding your feet are not even discussed in creches

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#47 Re: sick body tension
July 15, 2006, 09:56:31 am
why are you still hanging about in creches? Ofcourse they're not discussed there, 3yr old kids have better things to discuss...

How about 1 arm L-Sit Pull ups... keeping your body straight and open of course.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#48 Re: sick body tension
July 15, 2006, 09:59:09 am
am gona come down there n raise you on the river. you've just made that exercise up :wall:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#49 Re: sick body tension
July 15, 2006, 11:36:59 am
Then you've just paid to see my Ace high flush and you had better find another way of earning a living... 

as for making it up, maybe, but you know what they say “Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration”... remember that next time you leave early after a measly 1 hour session...  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal