UKBouldering.com

Poll

...people here only boulder, exclusively.  How many mix it up with roped climbing.

"It's just me and the mat."
29 (38.7%)
"I have it all!"
46 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 72

How many... (Read 5207 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
How many...
June 23, 2006, 09:52:54 am
Sooooo!  Need me some stats:

What's it to be?  Doesn't matter if you have used ropes previously and now boulder.  But if you click Me/Mat - that's all you do on rock.

Press those buttons now!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 10:47:17 am
You name it, I've done it (mostly badly) (apart from that dry tooling pish).

Maybe break down voting into;

trad too

clip bolts too.

have done routes in the past

dont do routes at the moment, but plan to at some point?

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 11:25:13 am
what about its just me and as many mats as i can carry.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#3 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 11:41:04 am
I'm looking for a ratio of boulderers to all-rounders.  Don't care if it's with 12 mats or with brandy.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 12:31:50 pm
I trad by preference... boulder by necessity. 

It's a fairly unrelated  topic but I would be curious to know what proportion of self-proclaimed climbers only climb indoors, and whether it is by necessity or choice.  One of my house-mates had a friend round who, without knowing of my obsession, said she was a climber.  Wanting to appear friendly and interested (rather than the grouchy hermit that I probably am) I began to wax lyrical about Kyloe, Bowden, Slipstones, Almscliff, Caley etc.  It soon transpired that she had no idea of what I was talking about and did not really have any particular hankering for real rock.  She just viewed climbing as an exercise that fitted a niche  inbetween running and going to the gym.   Is this a prevalent attitude? Was she unusual or is the world just that little bit sadder than I realised?

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 12:52:30 pm
i suspect it may be related to where you live.round here with the nearest rock being an hour away,there is quite a few regular users at the local wall who don't climb outside and as you mention they just see it as another form of exercise.the wall actually tries to sell climbing as the in all round body workout,as there are so few regular climbers in this area.
i would imagine its a faily similar scene in london

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 02:21:32 pm
over the last couple of years i've probably bouldered, trad'ed and sport climbed in pretty much equal measure.  however, since getting back from a trip at new year i have almost exclusively bouldered indoors.  biking seems to have taken over when the weather's been good, and seeing as my only big trip this year is going to be on the bike as well i'm probably going to get even less climbing done.

(as an aside, i don't know if anyone else has done any rough and ready bike touring, but what used to work for us was a mixture of anusol and ibuprofen gel, mixed (rather like araldite)  in the palm and applied liberally up and around the crack. we called it "elton's olde bum remedy"...)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#7 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 02:45:30 pm
It's generally just me and my mat....

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 02:52:04 pm
over the last couple of years i've probably bouldered, trad'ed and sport climbed in pretty much equal measure.  however, since getting back from a trip at new year i have almost exclusively bouldered indoors.  biking seems to have taken over when the weather's been good, and seeing as my only big trip this year is going to be on the bike as well i'm probably going to get even less climbing done.

(as an aside, i don't know if anyone else has done any rough and ready bike touring, but what used to work for us was a mixture of anusol and ibuprofen gel, mixed (rather like araldite)  in the palm and applied liberally up and around the crack. we called it "elton's olde bum remedy"...)

i've wondered whether the old stump cream would work on hardening your arse.never dared try.
i use assos chamois cream,it gives you a nice tingling sensation.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#9 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 04:17:32 pm
it gives you a nice tingling sensation.

when i want a nice tingling sensation i just imagine a threesome with floella benjamin and bonnie langford...

dave

#10 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 04:52:27 pm
i boulder through lazyness and cowardice.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#11 Re: How many...
June 23, 2006, 05:30:20 pm
Just boulder:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#12 Re: How many...
June 24, 2006, 08:55:46 am
Where's the "mostly trad" option then??

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#13 Re: How many...
June 24, 2006, 09:12:34 am
These aren't the Mostly Trad options you're looking for...

Fiend...You are in the Take it all category.  You sound confused or hurt or left out and that confuses me.  But there'll always be other polls...

I want to know how many people on this board at this time only boulder.  By that, of those reading this, for their involvement with rock climbing, how many climb on boulders, real ones: you've either only ever bouldered; or you've climbed on bigger stuff too - but that was then - and now only boulder.  How many registered users of UKB only boulder, never use ropes, against the number of people who are varied in their climbing.  IE.  If your a user but have only ever climbed and don't boulder then it's not Me/Mat is it?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 09:14:09 am by Houdini »

Doylo

• forum hero
#14 Re: How many...
June 24, 2006, 12:21:12 pm
I tend to just boulder and redpoint sport routes these days. Sacked trad off a few years ago but intend to take it up again when i'm an old man alla Nic Sellars.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#15 Re: How many...
June 25, 2006, 08:10:46 pm
For me Winter = Bouldering, Summer = Sports chuffing. Simple really  :whistle:

webbo

• forum hero
#16 Re: How many...
June 26, 2006, 08:21:36 am
how many people on here don't own a rope.i still have one somewhere in the loft which must be 15 years old.i'd think twice about using it as a tow rope.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: How many...
June 26, 2006, 10:33:41 am
I have no climbing ropes, not even a static. 

The 1st was lost when a mate left it in the car he blagged a lift in & forgot about the rope on exit, bye-bye Edelweiß.  The 2nd I gave away to a friend, who has at least used it in the quarries somewhere.

I've two skipping ropes though: one in wood, with bearings and a leather cord - and my new one with metal cord set in plastic from the kung-fu shop - which you can go like the clappers on.

And two mats: a small Pod that's 5 years old and still plenty firm.  And a mint DMM original as an undermat which I bought in Thailand for about 7 quid.  My mate, Eetu did even better and found a mint Metolius w/backstraps for 20€, which I thought rocked.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: How many...
June 26, 2006, 10:37:00 am

I've got a brand new rope in the garage that's not even been uncoiled - had it for about 6 years now!

BenF

• forum hero
#19 Re: How many...
June 26, 2006, 12:17:18 pm
Since this has turned into a pad and rope count... I have four pads (including a tiny Snap module thingy) and seven ropes (three single, four half ropes).  Admittedly one of the pads is only really used for sleeping on these days.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#20 Re: How many...
June 26, 2006, 11:44:49 pm
I mainly boulder through the winter. But the sport climbing here is so good that I got lured back and did a few routes a couple of months ago.

I reckon I'll get the rope out more in the spring when it starts getting too hot in the City and head for the mountains.

andy_e

• forum hero
#21 Re: How many...
June 27, 2006, 08:54:43 pm
I boulder, but I have a rope and I'd like to get some chuffing done... :please:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#22 Re: How many...
June 28, 2006, 08:05:18 pm
That's a mat-tastic 40/60 split so far.

Anyone care to offer ratios for the last 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 blah... years?

(Not that it really is 40/60 in reality...but)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#23 Re: How many...
June 28, 2006, 08:16:19 pm
I've only got the one mat and two ropes (70m and 40m singles), 5 pairs of shoes,17 quickdraws, a harness and belay device. All I need for the simple life  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal