UKBouldering.com

South Yorkshire speed test (Read 3473 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 11:16:20 am
Dunno if anyone else was watching Beeb one last night at about 9pm, there was a CarWars programme on, and the featured area was South Yorkshire - some quality chase footage around sheffield and surrounding areas. It's wierd watching hoodlums (or 'customers' as the dibble refer to them) getting chased when its somewhere you know!

Anyway they were sat on the exit slip from the services between 38 and 39 on the M1 (Woolley Edge?) and a bike flies past, they give chase and work out the guys average speed at 128.5mph, and the fella later admits just before 37 he'd been doing 172! go on my son!

So then, how fast have you been and in/on what?

underground

• forum hero
#1 South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 01:10:22 pm
Yeah, and the dood had been on the Budweiser too! When the plod asked him 'Can you give me one good reason why you were doing that speed?' I was really hoping he'd say 'Yeah mate, I'm on a f**king Fireblade!'

But he didn't unfortunately.

I once had my shed of a Fiat Panda rattling down the motorway out of Glagee at 115 mph with my mate in the passenger seat screaming 'I'm not helping when it catches fire and blows up!!!!'

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#2 South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 01:49:15 pm
Absolutely crazy wasn't it :shock:

172 is going some.

Quickest I've been is 150 in a twin engined Golf VR6, that was quick enough for me at the time. Funnily enough slowing down was a slight problem!

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#3 South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 01:52:03 pm
Didn't know VR6 got twin engine!  :shock:

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#4 South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 02:00:36 pm
They ain't, this is a specially modified one by Dubsport purely for hooning around in.

Basically a normal road going car with one engine, but has the ability to fit another engine in 30 minutes for shows etc.

Check out: http://www.dubsport.com/projects.asp#mk32xvr6 if you want the low down.

There is the newest mark 4, I went in the Rallye VR12 further down the page.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 02:42:40 pm
Bad ass! VeeDubya now do a Golf called the R32 which is an off the peg Golf with a 3.2 litre lump under the hood boasting 240brake and a top speed of 153mph and does 0-62 in 6.6seconds.

I want one of those.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#6 South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 02:43:50 pm
Wheres bubba when u need to talkabout illegal speeding!!
i once did somewhere around 92 down past the chequers inn past froggat 9i wasnt driving) he had a little difficulty getting round the corner

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#7 South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 03:07:09 pm
Johnny Dawes. Now theres a scary driver. On the way back from Chatsworth Edge Johnny came down Carterknowle road and took the corner into Abbeydale road with nothing more than a glance over his shoulder and in excess of 40mph! I was gripped.

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#8 South Yorkshire speed test
March 14, 2003, 03:26:23 pm
Dubsport are the boys when it comes to VW conversions, my mate had a Corrado VR6 put in a Mk2 Golf, which was pretty quick in itself.

Yes I've read quite a reviews on the R32, indeed it looks very nice although all the newer Golfs are getting more like Exec mobiles rather than toys.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 South Yorkshire speed test
March 18, 2003, 10:33:25 am
Quote from: "fatboySlimfast"
Wheres bubba when u need to talkabout illegal speeding!!

Well now, I never speed, as it's discraceful and irresponsible  :wink:

No occifer, I've never done 110mph in a 30 limit in Bradford. Actually, that is a bit stupid but it was 1am and there was nobody about, and an FZR 600 don't take long to get to that speed.

Personal fastest was in my old Bimmer 325se at 145 on the M4, late at night, and on the GSXR-750 I've seen 150 on the clock on that dual carriageway on the A6 going down Taddington Dale - things get a bit scary at that speed on the road, and the only other times I've hit 150 has been on the Cadwell Park back straight.

I'm pretty much giving up bikes now as they're just too dangerous on our crowded roads but there's very little comes close to the sensation of being banked over, your  knee-slider pinned to the floor at 110mph with other bikes snapping at your heels on a trackday - awesome to say the least.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal