UKBouldering.com

touring stateside (Read 757 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
touring stateside
June 19, 2006, 07:21:02 pm
On re-watching Rampage the other week, I was struck by just how good an idea going across the US in an RV actually is. Anyone done a similar roadtrip before? Although not able to drive, would be well up for saving up and doing something similar with those who can.
How much moolah is one thinking of needing when planning a 2 or 3 month long trip for example. Is it cheap to buy an old, but working RV when your out there and get insured on it?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: touring stateside
June 20, 2006, 12:10:19 am
Not sure what the costs I are for w decent RV but mu money is on a station wagon and camping with the odd night in a motel being much better

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#2 Re: touring stateside
June 20, 2006, 09:27:24 am
I did from the Deep South(east coast, Horse Pens etc) all the way to L.A via Hueco, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada etc etc. We travelled with a couple who both had vans so that part was easy! What I would say is that getting a good van is actually not that hard, most in America do upwards of 250,000 miles easy cos of the dry conditions and also the cost of new vehicles being low! However getting ripped off as in all countrys is the risk.
The probs are getting insurance, very difficult for a non resident! Most people I met did it through friends that lived there! Also petrol not as cheap as it once was! Saying that it was a great 3 months although trying to eat whilst on the road and avoiding junk food is impossible

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal