UKBouldering.com

welcome to krell (Read 1702 times)

superfurrymonkey

• junky
welcome to krell
April 24, 2006, 08:13:58 pm
are there specified starting holds for welcome to krell up at the dome or is it ok to start using the pocket, did it starting with the pocket found it well hard for a V3 im climbing in the V6 to V8 range at the moment and i dont think id be capable of it if I wasn`t!!!! and what are the rules for killer weed?

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#1 Re: welcome to krell
April 24, 2006, 09:28:59 pm
Welcome to Krell has a very height dependant start - in retrospect I'm sure it is a lot harder than V3 unless you're 6ft tall. I love that sloping scoop at the top - climbing wall manufacturers should be made to replicate such features.

The only rules for Killer Weed are that you avoid the crack to the right and start matched on the flatty/sidepull. Reach up (left hand) to first large pebble, then go again to larger pebble. Then turn and make a semi dynamic snatch into the sloping break with your right hand. It's probably about as hard as V5 gets before it becomes Font 7a. I wouldn't complain if it got upgraded.

BenF

• forum hero
#2 Re: welcome to krell
April 25, 2006, 08:22:32 am
The only rules for Killer Weed are that you avoid the crack to the right and start matched on the flatty/sidepull. Reach up (left hand) to first large pebble, then go again to larger pebble. Then turn and make a semi dynamic snatch into the sloping break with your right hand. It's probably about as hard as V5 gets before it becomes Font 7a. I wouldn't complain if it got upgraded.

Fair comment I'd say.  I found it hard getting my hand into the break without a) falling off (obviously), or b) ripping all my skin off as I missed the hold.  Some very sharp bits on that boulder.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#3 Re: welcome to krell
April 25, 2006, 08:58:35 am
I was there on sunday yes with lewis and co

TractorIceIsOK

#4 Re: welcome to krell
April 25, 2006, 05:10:19 pm

Fair comment I'd say.  I found it hard getting my hand into the break without a) falling off (obviously), or b) ripping all my skin off as I missed the hold.  Some very sharp bits on that boulder.

I found it pretty straight-forward, I'd say the best gritty slopers around North Wales can be found in that crack. For me it felt distinctly V5 and one of the best 5's I've done.

As for Welcome to Krell, I'm 5'11 and couldnt reach the sloping pocket to start without the aid of 2 mats - I think there has been a decent amount of soil erosion going on. Ace top out though.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#5 Re: welcome to krell
April 29, 2006, 11:57:09 am
Ahaa, ok...Jimmy is it? Nice to have met you - see you in the cave sometime!
The names Jamie although i have been Jimmy on occasion, I hear from Nige that you beat my score on the hand strength test, 73 kilo`s I think he said you got, good effort, do you per chance  do any specific hand training?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: welcome to krell
May 23, 2006, 02:18:42 pm
The only rules for Killer Weed are that you avoid the crack to the right

I think (many, but not all) rules are made to be broken:  I like to avoid the crack to the right with my hands, and apply a cunning heel/toe in the crack - right from the start, un-eliminating the eliminate. This way I can avoid two rather jumpy-snatchy moves and get both moves in a fluid and static (old school) manner.  Though I wouldn't say it was any easier - especially if you are taller than I; which it isn't hard to be.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal