UKBouldering.com

Kilnsey conditions (Read 217316 times)

IanP

• forum abuser
#425 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 13, 2011, 10:36:46 am
Everything is still bone dry, Gareth was on Urgent yesterday evening.  There was some heavy showers during the afternoon but I think it will take a significantly more sustained period of rain to have any impact on crag conditions.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#426 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 16, 2011, 10:59:04 am
Can I just point out that the condition of some of the parking on Sunday was truly appauling. Are people so selfish that they think saving themselves a five minute walk is more important than continued access to one of the best (the best?) sports crag in the UK.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#427 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 16, 2011, 11:30:32 am
Can I just point out that the condition of some of the parking on Sunday was truly appauling. Are people so selfish that they think saving themselves a five minute walk is more important than continued access to one of the best (the best?) sports crag in the UK.

Have to agree, the small layby on the opposite side of the road from the crag, someone had managed to squeeze 5% of their car into the end of the layby with the remaining 95% sticking out into the road.

Cheers
Tim

uptown

• junky
#428 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 16, 2011, 11:43:40 am
I put a notice up last year from the BMC asking people politely to consider their parking behaviour, it's still very much legible so I don't know what more can be done to encourage selflessness?

andyhext

#429 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 17, 2011, 05:44:05 pm
Does anyone know how conditions are currently?

Has this wet weather meant that parts have started to seep?......looking particulary around the slabculture area.

Cheers

nik at work

• forum hero
#430 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 17, 2011, 06:16:33 pm
Sorry can't help with the conditions report but have to agree with the comments re: parking on Sunday. If you're fit and well enough to climb at Kilnsey I can't imagine the five minute walk from the large lay-by would present much of a challenge. It is simply selfish and inconsiderate and unfortunately reflects very poorly on all of us.
Weren't the police ticketing cars last year?

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#431 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 17, 2011, 06:20:51 pm
Agree about the parking situation. It was pretty bad on Sunday, personally I would rather walk a bit than jeopardise access to the crag. Can't really understand people parking at the little pull in underneath the crag.

On another note I am hoping Kilnsey is holding out from the wetness...

Marky

• player
#432 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 20, 2011, 01:00:42 pm
Any updates on the Kilnsey seepage given this weeks rain?  :please:

Three Nine

• forum hero
#433 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 20, 2011, 02:44:02 pm
pretty dry. only things i noticed wet were urgent action and true north

JW

#434 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 20, 2011, 09:50:22 pm
Wet holds also on WYSIWIG (though probably climbable), start of Full Tilt wet. Nearly everything else okay.

Marky

• player
#435 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 23, 2011, 04:24:59 pm
Most stuff still dry but seepage starting to appear on North buttress - although didn't stop Rob Sutton (sp) from crushing True North.  :clap2:

dod

#436 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 26, 2011, 10:21:46 am
if anyones been recently or goes today, could you be a chum and report back on how true north is looking. i'd expect it to be wet up to the first bolt, but if its really wet after that then it's too wet for me

Marky

• player
#437 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 26, 2011, 12:37:28 pm
if anyones been recently or goes today, could you be a chum and report back on how true north is looking. i'd expect it to be wet up to the first bolt, but if its really wet after that then it's too wet for me

Ditto for Urgent Action.  :please:

richardh

#438 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 26, 2011, 09:39:04 pm
up tonight,

was raining into the crag in bursts, but actually didn't make a great deal of difference all in all.

apparently - from someone who was up on tuesday too - urgent action is more seepy that it was.
more dark patches on north buttress, but if I'm not mistaken a couple of guys were on full tilt I think, and climbing between the wet bits ok.

most things are still dry, biological need is suffering, grooved arete fine, The bulge looked ok, Eddie was on it.  Ecstacy - sorry Andy - I don't know the crucial bits to advise, but nerve ending was dry if that's any clue.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#439 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 29, 2011, 12:35:52 am
North Buttress not good today, GA area ok, as was the stuff on the left including China Crisis area. Ecstacy dry at the start, but go better during the day. The Ripper/Biological wet at the start but fine after. May improve tomorrow as the wind dried things out.

griffer

• regular
#440 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 31, 2011, 08:28:46 am
yesterday North Buttress totally unclimbable :(, a lot of seepage starting to come through, however 7am  tuesday morning, awesome sun and a light wind, perfect drying conditions ;D

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#441 Re: Kilnsey conditions
May 31, 2011, 09:21:19 pm
The crag was much improved today, N.Buttress still mostly unclimable but drying back rapidly. Most other stuff fine apart from the Bulge/Ecstacy and Dalliance areas.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#442 Re: Kilnsey conditions
June 01, 2011, 11:31:18 am
cheers Andy... you think rapidly enough to make UA redpointable by tomorrow?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#443 Re: Kilnsey conditions
June 02, 2011, 09:03:19 am
Possibly, but the weekend looks more likely.

TobyD

• forum hero
#444 Re: Kilnsey conditions
June 02, 2011, 09:10:33 am
going there now, i'll report back later....

TobyD

• forum hero
#445 Re: Kilnsey conditions
June 02, 2011, 10:35:00 pm
Possibly, but the weekend looks more likely.

not possibly. There was probably not a dry hold on full tilt, UA is very, very wet too, I can't see N butt being in decent nick for a week looking at it today. WSIWYG pretty wet. Most other bits of the crag looked ok, (although i'll confess i didn't really look at the bulge, or biological, which often have damp bits) Seepage seemed to increase in the day if anything.

Sorry that doesn't sound very optimistic! 

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#446 Re: Kilnsey conditions
June 02, 2011, 11:05:02 pm
Don't suppose you had a look at the Ripper? Bad news about seepage increasing during the day, didn't think that there had been that much rain. Still, 2 days to get dry before my next visit...

TobyD

• forum hero
#447 Re: Kilnsey conditions
June 06, 2011, 09:22:23 am
Don't suppose you had a look at the Ripper? Bad news about seepage increasing during the day, didn't think that there had been that much rain. Still, 2 days to get dry before my next visit...

looks like i was pretty flippin wrong in my last report, so perhaps my opinion isn't worth counting! no, i didn't - but i assume your tweak at Dinbren means you aren't so bothered now.... ?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#448 Re: Kilnsey conditions
June 06, 2011, 07:36:34 pm

looks like i was pretty flippin wrong in my last report, so perhaps my opinion isn't worth counting! no, i didn't - but i assume your tweak at Dinbren means you aren't so bothered now.... ?

Kilnsey can change pretty quickly at this time of year. The tweak isn't as bad as I thought, enough to slow me down for the next week or so though  :(

dod

#449 Re: Kilnsey conditions
June 08, 2011, 01:09:28 pm
anyone noticed the state of true north? wetness up to first bolt is expectable but dont want it too wet after that. cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal