UKBouldering.com

Parisella's Cave conditions reports (Read 545650 times)

a13c

• regular
It was all dry this afternoon, couple of drips by left wall but generally primo.

yetix

• forum abuser
Thanks!

yetix

• forum abuser
Anyone know how the caves been today?

Bradders

• forum hero
Anyone know if Marine Drive has been re-opened? Visited a couple of weeks ago and it was closed due to rock fall.

Yoof

• menacing presence
Was open earlier in the week again. Also depending on the person at the gate they will let cars through to get to Parisella's so long as you ask nicely. If you're there later, just moving the signs is an option, as is (potentially) going down from the top and going backwards down the usually 1-way bit. Been to hot recently until late-on, but the rock's been in okay condition.

Bradders

• forum hero
Cheers, it was both open and too hot though not as bad as the last few days.

Dinodinosaur

#2206 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
October 29, 2019, 11:52:33 am
What's the likelyhood of parisellas being dry this Saturday? Or is it going to have seepage? My other thought was hyll drem as that is meant to be perma dry.

Or is it a beacon day

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#2207 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
October 29, 2019, 01:44:49 pm
I predict it'll be good conditions today and tomorrow, and then a bit minging; firstly due to an increase in smeg/humidity/condensation, and then lots of seepage.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/gb/llandudno/53.32,-3.82

The lack of a gap in temperature between the air temp and dew point in the forecast charts tend to indicate smeg central

Dinodinosaur

#2208 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
October 29, 2019, 02:08:31 pm
Amazing thanks!  :bow:

Sorry if this next bit is a hit off topic but that's the first time I've seen that website.

So for future reference does this mean you can roughly guess how smeggy/greasy it will be by looking at the dew point compared to the temperature? The closer they are together the more likely it is to be greasy? How close do they have to get before it's considered greasy?

I've always wondered how to work out how greasy places like Gogarth and Pembroke would be but it looks like I've got a way of having a rough idea

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#2209 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
October 29, 2019, 05:46:10 pm
The thing to really avoid with Parisella's is going immediately after a rapid increase in daytime temperature - typically this happens after a warm-front passes through. That tends to give you a very small difference between air temperature & dew point = condensation. I've had a wasted journey previously when i didn't pay attention to the forecast and found the cave completely "cappuccino brown" and a condensed, smeggy mess.

I would say anything >6 degrees differences between air temp & dew point gives good conditions, though you can also end up with weird super-dry, low humidity "glassy" conditions if the humidity is <50% - that's much more rare than smeggy!

In between these extremes is a guessing game, and you also need to take a look at recent rainfall to predict how much seepage might be coming through. The forecast for he rest of the week is for a <3 degree difference and ongoing rainfall; the left wall and back section of the cave (cave life etc) will probably be climbable, but if you want to get on anything on the right hand side it's probably gonna be wet.

Dinodinosaur

#2210 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
October 29, 2019, 10:59:19 pm
It will be my first time climbing there and had my eye on left wall traverse and the easier shorter variants building up to the full left wall traverse. So I might get something out of it... And tbh that will probably keep me busy for a few sessions :lol: but realistically if it's gonna be a bit smeggy in there then my head says it's probably better to not go there and get a better session done elsewhere

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2211 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
October 30, 2019, 09:43:16 am
It will be my first time climbing there

Good luck!

J_duds

• menacing presence
#2212 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
November 22, 2019, 07:35:41 pm
Is it dry? Any thoughts on whether it'll be good tomorrow, aa the humidity is meant to be 95%!

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#2213 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
February 12, 2020, 01:19:44 pm
Anyone been recently?

yetix

• forum abuser
#2214 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
February 13, 2020, 10:06:49 am
Last night:

Left wall low and high dry

rocka dry (as always)

arch dry

Lou Ferrino first LH and rail wet, but other holds dry

Trigger Cut dry, however half way house holds I think were wet

Bonnie last 3 holds wet

Clever Beaver dry (just about)

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#2215 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
February 13, 2020, 11:35:45 am
Thanks Yetix - very useful summary

User deactivated

• stalker
#2216 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
February 13, 2020, 03:45:52 pm
Nothing like that today haha.

I’d say I’ve never seen it worse seepage wise. You name it, it is wet. Rocka Included, three wet holds on that. Not condense just seepage like I’ve never seen. Puddle outside is as big as I’ve seen too which suggests more to come.

Stuff with wet holds which I don’t think could be managed - bonnie, Clyde, crucial, left wall high, Incredible bulk, most of the lip problems. 

Armstrong pretty wet too. Ferrino will be manageable but would take some drying and keeping on top of.

Whyatt

• menacing presence
#2217 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
February 25, 2020, 01:31:31 pm
Anyone been lately?

yetix

• forum abuser

abarro81

• forum hero
How dry is the cave at the moment? I presume fairly decent, given Jack's been doing a bunch there? Wondering about a trip tomorrow...

Doylo

• forum hero
Fairly reasonable for time of year . The road is two way as it’s closed on the back side so you won’t have to drive all the way round after too.

James Malloch

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
A former PhD student has just got a job down that way and moved to Llandudno last month. He’s since been introduced to the Monkey man - and is now in isolation with goats outside his house/flat. Quite a start 😂

abarro81

• forum hero
#2223 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
December 29, 2022, 02:12:13 pm
Anyone know how wet/dry the cave is at the moment?

andy moles

• forum abuser
#2224 Re: Parisella's Cave conditions reports
January 02, 2023, 02:14:55 pm
I'd quite like to know too. I suspect it's minging but I'm reluctant to drive 40 minutes to confirm this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal