UKBouldering.com

Beachside bouldering in kefalonia (Read 6042 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Beachside bouldering in kefalonia
May 08, 2003, 09:26:41 pm
Whilst on holiday in Kefalonia I found a collection of boulders on the beach at the resort of skala. The boulders are of sandy limestone and shaped by the sea and the wind. The rock texture is not dissimilar to LPT, i.e sharp! There are a couple of boulders with potential and a variety of types of problems, steep to slabby, aretes, roofs, mantels - all sorts. One boulder particularly stands out as having the most interesting climbing, about 20 feet at its highest and about 40 degrees overhanging. This boulder in particular has some powerful climbing on pockets and thin flakes I climbed a couple of problems in the range v0 to v15 :wink: , heres my new problem Insatiable - V15+ (on sighted, in trainers my god I'm good)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Beachside bouldering in kefalonia
May 09, 2003, 09:00:27 am
Owww! That looks sharp as hell, but what a location - I didn't find owt last time I went to Greece despite lugging a pad around for 2 weeks.

What was the place like, was it real touristy or not too bad?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#2 Beachside bouldering in kefalonia
May 12, 2003, 09:41:01 am
Not too bad as yet, but you can see how in a few years it will be overrun. Its still pretty quiet in Kefalonia and the bit thats supposed to be the big tourist destination is tiny. People really friendly and food very nice, although not as cheap as you might expect but apparently thats the fault of the Euro.

There looks to be loads of pocketed limestone cliffs all over the island and I have found nothing on the Net about any climbing there. Betting that someones had a look in the past though. Much of it looks loose and chossy, but there some stuff with potential.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Beachside bouldering in kefalonia
May 12, 2003, 10:56:47 am
Yeah, I thought the post-Euro Greece was definitely more expensive. Holland didn't seem to be much different, but the worst was France - when we were in Serre Che it was 4.4 for a pint which is a bit steep, even considering it was a bar in the middle of the village.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#4 Re: Beachside bouldering in kefalonia
June 25, 2013, 05:48:27 pm
Digging waaaaay back through the annals.

Does anybody have any up to date beta on Kefalonia? I'm going to stay at a resort in Skala for two weeks this coming Saturday and really really want to keep climbing if possible. It's either that or pump a load of iron in the gym which I'd preferably not do.

Any advice much appreciated word.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal