UKBouldering.com

your worst fall? (Read 3832 times)

mark s

• junky
your worst fall?
May 08, 2003, 06:58:49 pm
on sunday i was trying a new prob.the last move being a long dyno.no one else would do the move so "fuck it" i thought and went for it.hand got the top but legs carried on going up until i could no longer hold on,came down horizontaly for about 12 foot landing on my back.still hurts now.but weekend is fast aproaching the pain will go then.

mozzer

• addict
#1 your worst fall?
May 08, 2003, 07:50:10 pm
Probably when I was at Cratcliffe in the wet, and bouldering near the hermits cave. I slipped and landed (no mat) with the middle of my foot on the edge of a boulder.

Burst some capillaries in my foot and it swelled up nicely. Couldnt climb for a couple of weeks. Bloody hurt as well!

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#2 your worst fall?
May 08, 2003, 08:07:10 pm
Fell out of the old tree after bouldering the start to Out of My tree. Ended up bruised from arm pit to knee and in a range of colours that I have never seen before. Still managed to drag myself into work that night, but couldn't actually bend over. :crying:

mark s

• junky
#3 your worst fall?
May 08, 2003, 08:08:04 pm
i missed the mat aswell.had a couple of spotters aswell.plus a few people standing around.lucky i did not land on them.got a grudge for the problem now.will have to go back and do it.

dave

#4 your worst fall?
May 09, 2003, 08:53:18 am
Falling off the last move of a 6c at Roche Aux Sabots last november, twisting ankle badly. It was the first day of a week-long trip. I didn't bring any ibuprofen. Nuff said.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#5 your worst fall?
May 09, 2003, 09:51:15 am
Brads rib/arete on Stanton from nearly the top, sideways horizontal missing two spotters, three mats, backslapping on to the sloping ground! Pride convinced me that it didnt hurt at the time, next morn my wrist wouldnt move in a circular motion and me arse was a bit black and blue

Nim

• regular
#6 your worst fall?
May 09, 2003, 03:03:40 pm
My best one was at Cratcliffe.  Low level B2 traverse - foot slipped off, fell a whole 12", landed on the mat but twisted over.  Totally knackered all ankle ligaments and had to be carried back to the car and driven to NGH.  Crutches for a week, physio for 3 months.  I tend to use spotters now.......

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 your worst fall?
May 09, 2003, 03:16:59 pm
Rowtor: big roof left of domes. T-crack style undercuts, huge span out to the lip, toehook, match hands, match toehooks. Now completely horizontal. toehooks pop, body describes a long, graceful arc, can't hold slopers anymore, fly downhill in a perfect impression of superman in reverse. land in gully, limp home.

Svelt, HVS crack up left corner of great slab, millstone. At about thirty foot is a small roof/ flake undecut. Solo up to it, cam your toe in it then carefully stand out horizontally, waving both hands at your ecstatic photographer mate. At this point something popped and I did a couple of cartwheels, managed to steady myself and still have time to watch a big rock getting bigger fast; and, get this, my mate pissing himself. Afterwards maybe, but while I was falling!!! :shock:

Want to hear about any others?

Velvet Silence, Black rocks. Supposed to meet some mates but no sign, crag deserted, so I started warming up. Lovely day with about 6" of snow. I had a brief look at the block and decided that despite the snow, I'd still be able to top out. When I got there I found I couldn't. Landed on my rucksac. Totally missed the mat.

I could go on. No bones broken yet!! (touch wood)

billy

• regular
#8 your worst fall?
May 09, 2003, 05:07:37 pm
Worst fall was definitely coming off trackside at curbar. Had heel hook in, both hands on top and foot slipped. Landed about 5ft away from problem and, in my infinite wisdom, broke my fall with one outstretched arm! Elbow buckled backwards and spent the next 4 months off with a dodgy elbow  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#9 your worst fall?
May 10, 2003, 08:19:18 pm
Two good falls,

Came of the top move to the very easy problem to the right of Brad's Rib, fell horizontally through the first few inches of bracken, then was rapidly stopped by a small boulder impacting the right side of my rib cage.

About a month ago was working a new traverse at Bathford, had to match a really poor sloper, and get a very high heel hook about a foot above my hands.  Very delicate move which I popped off from, fell about 5 feet onto a sharp edged boulder below.  Impacted all along the back left of my rib cage, lay around for about ten minutes in the dirt unable to breath from the severe winding I recieved.  Bought a bouldering mat that afternoon.

Unfortunately I never bruise so couldn't impress anyone with my injuries.

screwyouI'mfromderby

• regular
#10 your worst fall?
May 11, 2003, 10:50:43 am
not strictly a bouldering fall, or indeed mine, but this is pretty interesting.

I was belaying a mate of mine on the start of Birch Tree Wall. Bear in mind he's in recovery from a burst disc back injury. He's got gear in at about 10' and falls when he's about 6 " past the quickdraw.

I held the rope and swung in but the krab in the gear broke. A WC spring clip snapped in two.

He bounced off the first step and fell backwards getting a fracture in his heelbone. It's gne black now.

Fair enough, not a bouldering problem, and not above grade 5. But hard for someone with no feeling in his feet and remember the FUCKING GEAR FAILED.

I went white.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#11 your worst fall?
May 12, 2003, 09:36:22 am
I landed straight legged off the top of submergence (still not very high, but if you don't bend your leg it hurts) and couldn't walk without a limp for about three weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal