UKBouldering.com

Chalk and skin (Read 2987 times)

Teaboy

• forum hero
Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 02:56:33 pm
My mate said he stopped using Metolius chalk because it was causing his fingers to split and giving him cuticles (those splinter type things at the edge of your nails). I assumed he was just being a ponce but I've just got some of the same chalk and having just started climbing again after a couple of months off I'm experiencing the same problems. Is this coincidence or is my friend correct and I'd be better off with other chalk? As far as I was concerned chalk was chalk but he says there are some drying agents or summat in the Metolius stuff

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 03:46:40 pm
aye metollius superchalk contains additional drying agents to the standard magnesium carbonate (read the packet) - it's what makes it so goooood!  Make sure you wash your hands well asap after a sesh and regularly apply moisturiser to limit the badness (Palmer's cocoa butter and shea butter creams work for me).

Stubbs

#2 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 04:12:04 pm
I had the same problems with supa chalk, and changed to Camp, or whatever other chalk i can get in big blocks. It does the same job without knackering my skin! It's also generally cheaper, especially if you buy a box of blocks...

LongMonkey

• player
#3 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 04:40:09 pm
I used to use the Camp chalk blocks but after trying Super Chalk there's no going back. I've never really had any problems with it drying my skin out too much.
I guess you could do a 50/50 mix (or whatever takes your fancy) of Camp and Super Chalk to kinda water down the drying agents.

Found this online for those of you who what to maintain soft hands  :lol:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/product.php?p=2442&list=1

http://www.zen-lizard.com/

Little Paul

• addict
#4 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 05:35:26 pm
I use Flashed chalk i think it's pretty good.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#5 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 06:21:30 pm
If you don't need superchalk you might as well not bother. All other chalk is shit IMHO. I have one hand that never sweats and one that over sweats and superchalk has never had any negative effects on my skin on either hand

Medium\Large

#6 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 06:43:47 pm
Quote from: "Jim"
. . I have one hand that never sweats and one that over sweats  

Jim your a fucking freak!

Little Paul

• addict
#7 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 06:52:49 pm
No he isn't he's just slightly weird!! :lol:

dave

#8 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 06:54:11 pm
a couple of years ago i started to suspect that metolius chalk was causing my skin to dry out too mucn and causing massive gaping splits with alarming frequency. I stopped using it and instead went to that decathlon cheap shit. Although this is not science I'm pretty sure that i get less bad splits now than i used to. Its most noticable at the end of long days bouldering (like in font) where you've got chalk on your hand constantly for like 5-8 hours, with metolius chalk my skin would always dry up and go brittle no matter how much sanding and moisurising i'd done in the preceding days/weeks. I suspect this problem is only going to effect those who get dry finger skin anyway, otherwise you won't notice the difference.

Does rather confirm my theory that everything metolius makes is complete crap though. Chalk, clothes, pads, holds, you name it - total dogshit!

andy_e

• forum hero
#9 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 07:10:29 pm
Quote from: "Stubbs"
I had the same problems with supa chalk, and changed to Camp, or whatever other chalk i can get in big blocks. It does the same job without knackering my skin! It's also generally cheaper, especially if you buy a box of blocks...

r-man uses whatever chalk he can get hold of... i.e mine!

I used metolius briefly... it gave my hands a nasty feeling post-session. I just use goolies and any blocks I can get.

mark

• forum abuser
#10 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 09:16:34 pm
Add me to the tried-it-and-gave-it-up list. I tried it, full of enthusiasm, but my split frequency went way up and I returned to normal chalk.

Just say no. Together we can win the war on split tips.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#11 Chalk and skin
February 28, 2006, 09:24:15 pm
I've used it for over a year and never had any problems. Although saying that I've never ever had a split tip and never moisturise my hands...

Palomides

• forum abuser
#12 Chalk and skin
March 01, 2006, 09:24:04 am
I too have skin that's prone to dryness.

For me Metolius Super Chalk == Awesomely Huge Flappers

Never mind little splits, it's like having a Gateway to Hell open up on my fingers.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#13 Chalk and skin
March 01, 2006, 11:04:40 am
I've used Metolius chalk for years, although for the last year of use my tips have been cracking close to the tip of the nail and I have had the same 'skin splinter' effect.  Due to a period of skintness, I have started using Camp chalk and me skin is now sorted.  I think they may have added more 'agent' to make it stickier or changed the agent - who knows?

Teaboy

• forum hero
#14 Chalk and skin
March 01, 2006, 01:02:50 pm
Cheers everyone. Like Dave says this survey lacks scientific rigour but anecdotaly at least it looks like there's something in what my mate said, maybe I'll give the Metolius stuff a swerve in future.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#15 Chalk and skin
March 02, 2006, 10:00:56 am
If anyone knows of any chalk that dries your skin out MORE than metolius super chalk, I'd be interested  :wink:

P.S. Jim you need different chalkbags for each hand, to maintain an equal friction coeffecient  :wink:

andy_e

• forum hero
#16 Chalk and skin
April 13, 2006, 08:51:09 pm
I was forced to buy some Metolius Super Chalk today... my god that stuff ruins a session. Two hours in and my fingers were in agony... far too dry! I was still feeling strong but couldn't pull on any more.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#17 Chalk and skin
April 13, 2006, 11:15:36 pm
I was still feeling strong but couldn't pull on any more.

oh to be in your world

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#18 Re: Chalk and skin
May 01, 2006, 08:28:03 pm
I reckon metolious chalk does dry your hands out loads more, jsut make sure you wash your hands as soon as you can after a session and use palmers cocoa butter if they get uber dry, I never had any particular problems with using it though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal