UKBouldering.com

The Hulk (Read 57715 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#100 Re: The Hulk
March 19, 2009, 08:44:53 am
Ha ha. I realised what you meant Joe but thanks for being even more anal in wanting to clear up your clearing up!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#101 Re: The Hulk
March 19, 2009, 09:07:16 am
i went yesterday and had a bit of a do, after doing the right foot on and move to sloper thing (first move), I found that I hopped my left into the chip/broken thing and right wasnt doing anything. the top sloper was (is) wet on the left, but ok on the right. I was hitting it just left of the crimpy ripple thing and nearly holding it. From there I intend to go right hand to edge beside, change left to the little crease and then you know the rest. Great prob. Am psyched to get it done!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#102 Re: The Hulk
March 19, 2009, 09:28:04 am
See you found it was damp. How annoying when it was dry Monday and hasn't rained since! Feckin unpredictable seepage. Going tomorrow anyway.

Do you mean you were doing the first move with the right toe on a la Moon vid? I tried that last year but it seemed to push me out too much so just went with the basic Jerry way.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#103 Re: The Hulk
March 19, 2009, 09:54:59 am
yes! its all about getting your leg outside your elbow which is very flexibility dependent, it feels totally 8c until I get any weight onto that right foot and then I can take my right hand off and have a cup of tea (well ok, thats exaggerating, but my point is, theres a sweet spot. Everything outside it feels hideous, then suddenly you are on and its possible)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#104 Re: The Hulk
March 19, 2009, 09:58:27 am
Hmmm. I am quite flexible so it might be possible and certainly sounds like it might make the move higher percentage. However now I've done the move the basic way I sort of like it in a dirty Old Skool crimp and pull sort of way............

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#105 Re: The Hulk
March 24, 2009, 08:28:38 pm
God, I thought I had done Seans sitter. Someone had told me vaguely where it went (when having a brew at my house, not at the crag. And it was John Wobble so even less trustworthy) and I just started sat down and climbed up. I didn't know any of the problems were eliminates. I will have to print of this entire thread next time I go.

I guess it will be wet tomorrow morning? Raining in Hathersage at the moment...

ferret

• forum abuser
#106 Re: The Hulk
March 25, 2009, 01:14:49 pm
God, I thought I had done Seans sitter. Someone had told me vaguely where it went (when having a brew at my house, not at the crag. And it was John Wobble so even less trustworthy) and I just started sat down and climbed up. I didn't know any of the problems were eliminates. I will have to print of this entire thread next time I go.

omg why wud u make this problem an eliminate? thought we had enough of those on peak limestone already.

seemed to me startin on the hold under the roof and climbing straight up was a cool problem about 7c, wot more do ya need?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#107 Re: The Hulk
March 25, 2009, 01:23:53 pm
Yes you can do that if you like, and no doubt it would be a cool problem and probably about 7c. However Sean's problem, and Jason's problem (which follow the same line but have subtle differences in what you use) are different. To puzzle over why you would make eliminates is to completely ignore the history of the place which is that it was used for training, therefore its all about making it harder, missing out certain holds, things to make it easier etc.

What more do you need? well, if you've done the line using everything then something, clearly.

Mocho, I am going this afternoon. I shall report what I find.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#108 Re: The Hulk
March 25, 2009, 01:29:06 pm
Incidently Ferret, i keep getting facebook friend requests thinking i am you! I mean how many Adams from the UK travel round America frequently  :-\
You need to clarify your surname i think!  ;D

ferret

• forum abuser
#109 Re: The Hulk
March 25, 2009, 04:28:53 pm
 :off:
Incidently Ferret, i keep getting facebook friend requests thinking i am you! I mean how many Adams from the UK travel round America frequently   
You need to clarify your surname i think! 

thats quite funny, will be sure to use my full name in future  ;)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#110 Re: The Hulk
March 25, 2009, 08:07:07 pm
:off:
Incidently Ferret, i keep getting facebook friend requests thinking i am you! I mean how many Adams from the UK travel round America frequently   
You need to clarify your surname i think! 

thats quite funny, will be sure to use my full name in future  ;)

Hi, the names wood, adam wood! got a very bond ring to it!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#111 Re: The Hulk
March 26, 2009, 06:48:50 am
I guess it will be wet tomorrow morning? Raining in Hathersage at the moment...

Fine last night (up till about 1830), however big patches of wetness were starting to appear which I would have thought can only get worse. With specific reference to Sean's, all holds on the hard bit dry, but at the top I use a hold out right which was wet. It did get climbed missing that out, but the person who did so is v.tall.

Regards the Hulk, 4 times matched on the top sloper and still didnt do it! I think the way I will eventually do it is thus : hit sloper on lip with left hand, rf in pod, rh to edge on rhs of sloper, then (and this is where it all goes wrong), I think i shall go lh to the ripple on the rhs, heel up and rock. I tried the lhs of the sloper but it just didnt work. People use another edge, but its v.wet so thats out for now.

Worried that it will be wet through by saturday.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#112 Re: The Hulk
March 26, 2009, 07:59:29 am
Punter!!!  ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#113 Re: The Hulk
March 26, 2009, 08:48:13 am
NNFN!  :rtfm:

Dob the ripple thing is a really solid hold if you turn your hand sideways and crimp it. It's the only way I can get anything out of that sloper and will certainly be the way for me to do it. Just need a new right tricep for the second move and I'm in with a shout. Was hitting it last Friday but I already knew I was injured and was just making it worse so it was a half hearted effort. Physio tonight..........

:(

benpritch

• forum abuser
#114 Re: The Hulk
March 27, 2009, 07:23:22 pm
anyone been today?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#115 Re: The Hulk
March 30, 2009, 10:35:28 am
I hadnt been then, but I went on saturday and it was good. I heard from visiting leeds raider stubbs that it was also good yesterday.

Stubbs

#116 Re: The Hulk
March 30, 2009, 10:45:12 am
Calumny, as if you'd catch me climbing on dirty peak limestone on a day with such good conditions  ;)

Some damp footholds around the Pinch, Jericho Road (which wasn't climbable I don't think) but everything else dry as far as I could tell, not that I could pull onto anything...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#117 Re: The Hulk
March 30, 2009, 07:52:59 pm
wetter today than at weekend which was disappointing (but not very!)

dave

#118 Re: The Hulk
April 11, 2009, 11:00:24 pm
was at said crag today - there was talk on twitter of the superman sidepull being "fixed", yet still looks the same broken hold to me - what gives?

Doylo

• forum hero
#119 Re: The Hulk
April 11, 2009, 11:03:45 pm
it was fixed but broke again, dave mason has the piece

a dense loner

• forum hero
#120 Re: The Hulk
April 12, 2009, 06:14:37 am
someone get it back off dave. bonjoy work some magic

cofe

• forum hero
#121 Re: The Hulk
April 28, 2009, 09:49:16 pm
Any weedy, unflexible 6 footers out there with an almost infinite boredom threshold and plenty of time on their hands?

DAVE...HEY DAVE!

Where is he when you need him?

Heres my beta for The Hulk:

1.Walk up to problem in trainers, have a feel at the holds, decide they feel massive and it looks piss.

2. Put rock shoes on and chalk up.

3. Fail to pull off the ground.

4. Feel like an idiot and sack it off.

is that still your beta word?

;D

cofe

• forum hero
#122 Re: The Hulk
April 28, 2009, 10:06:26 pm
incidentally, crag pretty dry today, but doubt it will last...

dave

#123 Re: The Hulk
April 29, 2009, 11:07:21 am
on the subject of jason's start; I get the impression from sperating the wheat from the chaff on this thread, that jason's start at 7c is non-eliminate, i.e. is essentially a sitter into the 7b-heel-toe-enabled commonsense version of seans? I think thats how i read it, but just want to check. word.

Kingy

• forum hero
#124 Re: The Hulk
May 13, 2009, 09:31:14 am
Good nick last night, all dry. The Superman hold is back on which makes the Hulk pull on probably very slightly easier. The Sharples wonder torch was in full effect after the sun went down, atmospheric!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal