UKBouldering.com

Classic 7B sports routes.. (Read 15210 times)

webbo

• forum hero
#25 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
April 27, 2006, 01:00:07 pm
when i did routes i thought 7b was the ideal red point grade.not much chance of flashing it,so don't bother to try.get the rope up the route,work it on the way down.then usually r/p first go.none this getting worked up to try and flash it or coming back several times to get it ticked.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
April 27, 2006, 01:20:08 pm
Electric Warrior is also good - short, but well worth it for the euro-style tufa climbing.

Oh yeah, forgot about this, this is ace.

curly ben

• addict
#27 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
April 27, 2006, 06:41:40 pm
yep may well be headin to ceuse as well.. would be quite keen to check out mountain sports routes in swiss. there jus seems to be shed ;loads of mad stuff jus not so sure how easy its gonna be to hook up with folk out there, whereas uk prob easier to cadge a belay=catch up with mates after work.    :-\

curly ben

• addict
#28 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
April 27, 2006, 06:43:46 pm
Anyone wants to go to swiis for a bit this summa and climb round 7 b let me know.... classic 7b's in europe??? oh dear could get complicated

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#29 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
May 01, 2006, 09:50:22 pm
As had been mentioned already  - Wargames, Electric warrior and Mid-air Collision (Chapel Head); Something Stupid, Wasted Youth, Chiseling the Dragon, Taking the Space (Malham) (I'd throw in Toad of Beck Hall as well,it used to get 7b...); Hardy Annual, Sticky Wicket, Ground Effect and Frankie comes to Kilnsey (another 'old' 7b); Trowgerbirge Wall, Hardcore Ecstasy, Pursuit of Excellence (easy 7b+) and The Dark Arts all at Trow Gill.

rc

• player
#30 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
May 10, 2006, 03:32:21 pm
Isn't there a good 7b(+?) at Yew Cougar?
Not done it, but seem to recall a pic in the rockfax.

Paz

• junky
#31 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
May 11, 2006, 10:51:02 am
I'd like to plug Insatiable at The Wave (OK, cheddar quarry).

Unfaggable unstaticable inelegant, foot on grab a big hold and slap for the next one, burl fest.  How climbing should be.  This leads to a more static rock over sidepull bit but this is only to set you up for some final dynos at the end and you can fall of it a lot.  Optional mantle at the end for history buffs.  And it's really short.  And open all year round.  And in the sun in winter and the shade in summer evenings.  And it's not 7a so it's not polished and there's never a queue on it. 

I'll admit it's not perfect as there are no heel hooks or undercuts and is too short, but for me it comes close. 

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#32 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
May 11, 2006, 01:09:02 pm
Cruisin for a Bruisin is the one at Yew Cougar - a stunning pitch.

whispering nic

• player
#33 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
May 17, 2006, 01:50:42 pm
cheers dudes...
anyone know any good bolted stuff north of the border?
any other classic south coast routes?  :)

Weem is the muts nut's for 7a to 7b. 

Dunkeld has Hamish Teddies at Upper Cave Crag and the Chopping Block at Myopics Butress. There's a 7b on Tunnel Walls in Glencoe that's not bad. Lots of new stuff in the west but you need to see Scottishclimbs.com for that

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#34 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
June 12, 2006, 04:12:53 pm
Pic of Mark Sharrat on Midgard Serpent from last week. The cave was pretty dry then and I dare say everything there should be doable by now.

curly ben

• addict
#35 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
June 12, 2006, 06:16:06 pm
 ;D oooh looks wicked. will be gettin myself down there pronto. good pic

andy popp

• forum hero
#36 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
June 12, 2006, 08:35:13 pm
Bonjoy - what's the Midgard Serpent from, is it some sort of mythical creature? Mouldwarp Wall in t'Dale is named after some folkloric legend about a huge snake asleep somewhere under Leicestershire (or somewhere equally unlikely) that will awake when the beast or true king (or someone) returns

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#37 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
June 13, 2006, 07:50:30 am
It's Norse of some sort.

The one may be thinking of is the Somethingorother Worm? I'm pretty sure I recally reading about it in "John Pertwee's Book of Monsters" in my youth.

Just googled it; it's still available.

http://www.richardwho.com/collections/collection44.asp

Class. I loved that shit.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#38 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
June 14, 2006, 09:18:01 am
Jörmungandr ['jÅ“rmuŋgandr], alternately referred to as the Midgard Serpent or World Serpent, is a sea serpent of the Norse mythology, the middle child of Loki and the giantess Angrboða.

Jörmungandr and Thor are arch enemies. Their last meeting will come at Ragnarök, when Jörmungandr will drag himself from the Ocean and poison the skies. Thor will kill Jörmungandr and then walk nine steps before falling dead from the serpent's poison.
BTW if anyone's going to try the route, it's 7b if you finish by grabbing the chain and 7b+ if you clip chain and climb past it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:22:15 am by Bonjoy »

andy popp

• forum hero
#39 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
June 18, 2006, 06:51:36 pm
To Chris, there's loads of those Worm things (the Linton and Lampton Worms are two) the Mouldwarp is similar - my source was Keith Thomas' 'Religion and the Decline of Magic'. Trivia points, who was the incredibly unlikely second ascentionist of Mouldwarp Wall?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#40 Re: Classic 7B sports routes..
June 19, 2006, 07:43:56 am
I'm pretty sure it was the Lampton Worm referred to in said font of knowledge (although I'm pretty sure John Pertwee didn't actually do much of the writing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal