UKBouldering.com

Stanage Plantation - voluntary bans? Opinions, please... (Read 3236 times)

TN

• regular
Okay - after a long winter of slacking, me and Julian are back on a roll with this.
We went up yesterday and assessed what's next - it's the business boulder...
We're hoping to get this done in the next couple of weeks but then it's a case of monitoring how it all settles and then trying to re-grass the areas. We don't know how well it'll take but as someone pointed out - the Deliverance area was grassy until fairly recently, so we should be able to do 'something'...

Anyway - I posted the message below on UKC last night re: a voluntary ban in the area to let the vegetation grow back. What are peoples feelings, please? I know when it's been raised before people have been very supportive, but not being a 'proper' boulderer I really value the opinions of those who are.

Specifically we're not sure about when, and for how long....

Some of you might have heard me and Muz have been trying fix some of the water damage to the area around the more popular boulders at the plantation. We *may* have mentioned it once or twice... ;-)

We had a chat with a nice chap this afternoon (didn't get your name - sorry) and got onto the subject of 'regrassing' the treated areas. When I sounded people out a while ago they almost all supported a voluntary ban while the areas were reseeded and the grass/vegetation got reestablished.

Now, we are aiming to get the final area built back up in the next few weeks then will speak to the warden about him getting some top 'soil' and appropriate seed for us.

I am asking - do people support a '1 area at a time' voluntary ban for 8-12 weeks to see how the new vegetation 'takes' - probably starting at the Green Boulder like we did with the filling in.

Please let us know what you think - whether you think this amount of time is excessive or not enough, whether you think this is a good idea? Muz isn't convinced anything will get established there, but we reckon it's worth at least an experimental attempt...

Also, what do people think to the work that's been done so far. I think the Green Boulder area has settled really well, personally - I am pretty impressed!

Thanks,

T

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I'll happily partake in a voluntary ban! I'm not that keen on the plantation any more, and wouldn't go near it with a brush-stick when it's busy  :wink:

There needs to be encouragement for people to spread the load and try other places, including esoteric ones with good climbing that could actually benefit from the extra (careful) traffic.

matthew

• menacing presence
Yeah i'd partake most definately.
There needs to be encouragement for people to spread the load and try other places, including esoteric ones with good climbing that could actually benefit from the extra (careful) traffic.

Damn straight

TN

• regular
Cheers guys. I don't tend to climb at the plantation much either but it's still in our best interests to look after it.
Just got some weirdness on UKC from an 'anon' - dunno whether people think there's some sinister undercurrent to all this, but I hope it doesn't come across that way... <sigh>

LongMonkey

• player
Yeah, I'd support/respect and temporary cessation around certain boulders whilst reseeding was going on. I agreed that it makes sense to at least try seeding in order to stop further erosion. You only have to see photos in the book ‘Power of Climbing' to see that there was (once) grass around the Face of Business boulder. I admit I haven't been down to the Peak for some time but on my last visit erosion was pretty visible especially below the Deliverance face.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
thats very responsible of you all.
hats off.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
now,
would you let me climb at plantation when i come north in march? :D

LongMonkey

• player
I'm heading down to there 6th, 7th and 8th of March if the weather's good. The plantation is on the list as well as less visited spots.
Any idea when you might start this seeding business TN?

TN

• regular
I was thinking in the next 2-3 weeks initially, but going on what's been said it may be better to leave it a while.
Needs discussion with the knowledgable parties, I think, but we'll post with plenty of notice when we're planning something.
I still think 'doing' the Green boulder first, as a tester, is the best idea...
Will keep you all informed.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
As I mentioned on the RT thread, I'm not convinced the Green traverse has ever supported much/any grass due mainly to shading by the beech tree. The earliest photos I can find are in big al's original peak guide; there is pretty much bare earth under this problem whilst Deliverance/ crescent arete were radically different - grassed and much higher landings.

I think the best plan would be wait until end of april/ early may then cordon off deliverance and have a real go at making that work. Bouldering pressure really drops off by then making a ban much less likely to be broken. It was always the grassiest landing and if it worked would be a nice 'ambassador' for work elsewhere. Whereas failing to grow grass under a banned green traverse might do the opposite...

TN

• regular
That sounds logical.
I am relatively new to bouldering, so the whole area has always been badly eroded as far as I can remember - but I know I've seen photos of Deliverance with a nice plush grassy surface, so what you say makes sense.
We'll keep that in mind when we're planning what to do next.

I'm liking the 'turf' idea a lot - using locally grown grass turfs as opposed to seeding the area. I am just not sure about the practicalities of arranging this and whether whatever we 'transplant' will be robust enough to contend with many falling/jumping boulderers.

Watch this space...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Turfing would definitely be a good plan I think, though it'll be harder work getting it up there... but then seed would need topsoil. Turf does establish much quicker and denser than seeding. Can you get the right grass as turf though?

TN

• regular
Went up in the pissing rain on Friday and made a good start on the Business boulder area. Have dealt with what we believe to be the main drainage issue and filled in a large part of the 'front' area.
We also had a good wander around with the warden (and his crazy but excellent dogs!) and discussed 'turf' etc. He showed us which types of grasses would be best to use, where to take the turf from (and how!) and is going to contact (I think) english nature to inform them what's happening - which is cool!

So - anyone heading up there - please take more blue bags of grit up - we've just about depleted what was up there already but still need more. Also, let us know what you think to what's been done so far.

FINALLY (for now) we'll be needing 'landscaping' volunteers in the near future to help with cutting, transporting and placing turf. Watch this space...

andy_e

• forum hero
I could see where a lot of the work has taken place, fine effort too! must've taken a lot of muscle.

Edit: come to think of it, it could have just been the day that gave me a bad impression...

TN

• regular
It's taken lots of marvellous volunteers, without whom none of this would have been possible <creep grovel>

andy_e

• forum hero
Quote from: "TN"
volunteers

Ah, the BMC Volunteer expenses claim form... my primary source of income!

TN

• regular
You do mean Andi don't you, not me?!

Paul B

• forum hero
Id happily support a ban, but leaving it until the bouldering season is over is definately the way to go, i cant really see why an enitre ban wouldnt be accepted over the summer months.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal