UKBouldering.com

scotland (Read 5109 times)

tom

scotland
April 30, 2003, 06:46:02 pm
Have recently moved to deepest darkest scotland it's even called the  black isle, place called culbokie  (20min north of inverness) does anyone know of a guide or website for scotish bouldering or know if there is anything near by. The amount of rock in scotland there has to be something!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 scotland
April 30, 2003, 07:38:23 pm
No idea meself - the only bouldering I've done in Scotland is at Dumbarton and an obscure little sandy seaside crag at North Berwick.

Probably your best bet is to have a look round scotlandonline.com (there's some topos on there), and to ask the same question on the forum at scottishclimbs.com which seems to have quite a few Scottish boulderers on it.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#2 scotland
April 30, 2003, 10:01:03 pm
If you live in Inverness how come your location says Bangor?

As said by da Bubba you need to be on scotlandonline, just don't believe the hype, you have been warned.  Nearest bouldering that I know to Inverness is Ruthven, recommended to me as being good but not been yet mesel, and some place out on the coast east of Inverness that I can't remember the name of and can't find me guide at the mo.

If you're interested in meeting up I travel up to Beauly every fortnight at least and stay for a few days.  I always bring the pad and boots so mail me if you are interested.

It has to be said however that the bouldering in Scotland is shite (except for Dumbarton).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 scotland
April 30, 2003, 10:03:44 pm
Quote from: "Norton Sharley"
It has to be said however that the bouldering in Scotland is shite (except for Dumbarton).

You're a brave man to say that Norton  :wink:

tom

#4 scotland
May 01, 2003, 08:45:38 pm
i'm at uni in bangor but my parents have moved to sotland if that answers your question, it makes going to visit more appealing if there some bouldering
thanks for the info

tc

• junky
#5 scotland
May 02, 2003, 03:11:50 pm
"Shite", eh? You actually ever been anywhere apart from Dumby, then?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#6 scotland
May 06, 2003, 09:53:45 pm
yeh, have you?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#7 scotland
May 08, 2003, 08:55:20 pm
Seems that was your first and last post then tc  :twisted:

Ok, it's not quite shite, but you have to work bloody hard to find much decent bouldering.

shreddingtonfrog

#8 scotland
May 14, 2003, 02:45:41 pm
Tom,
There's aboslutely hunnerts of great bouldering venues within 1 hour from you. Duntelchaig is bombing, and you have to pass the Heathmount Hotel on the way home again!
However, if you're ever in Torridon..........let me know and I'll show you around the biggest south facing boulder-fest in the world. Bring wellies though

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 scotland
May 14, 2003, 02:47:11 pm
Is this the often talked about, but no information whatsoever Torridon sandstone bouldering?

Does it really exist? Is it all hype, or is it the new Font?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 scotland
May 14, 2003, 03:13:06 pm
The Bransby showed me some pics of the most stunning looking boulder in torridon - and apparently plenty more like it.

Maybe The North face will sponsor that yank with the stupid hair to go and develop it.

Last time I was in Coire lagan on skye (where the cioch is) a load of boulders were chalked. Can't say I was inspired tho'

shreddingtonfrog

#11 scotland
May 14, 2003, 09:00:26 pm
I have stupid hair too, but nobody's sponsoring me to develop the area.
Yes Bubba, it does very much exist. There'll be a wee laminated guide sheet out shortly. Having been to Font and having exhausted much of the Burbages, I can thoroughly recommend Toz. The grades we're [I'm] using up here are UK trad; the only stuff I can replicate; and only being able to lead 6a/b tops on a good day, have left millions of problems for everyone. Scott Muir, Paul Tatt, and the odd wave from the Aberdeen scene have been spotted dabbling, but it's all there.......south facing......good, solid sandstone....and only 450 miles from where you're sitting now.

Tom, are you on your way over yet?

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#12 scotland
May 15, 2003, 09:25:56 am
Quote from: "shreddingtonfrog"
I have stupid hair too, but nobody's sponsoring me to develop the area.
Yes Bubba, it does very much exist. There'll be a wee laminated guide sheet out shortly. Having been to Font and having exhausted much of the Burbages, I can thoroughly recommend Toz. The grades we're [I'm] using up here are UK trad; the only stuff I can replicate; and only being able to lead 6a/b tops on a good day, have left millions of problems for everyone. Scott Muir, Paul Tatt, and the odd wave from the Aberdeen scene have been spotted dabbling, but it's all there.......south facing......good, solid sandstone....and only 450 miles from where you're sitting now.

Tom, are you on your way over yet?

How many problems?
Do you have any photos?

dom

• addict
#13 scotland
May 16, 2003, 05:37:34 pm

some may say dumbarton bouldering is shite (not me), but it has to be said that glen croe, portlethen and especially glen nevis bouldering is on a par if not better than dumby. it also helps that they have friction.  wolfcrag has a few good probs as well

havn't been to other places like garheugh point or glen massan but they are supposed to be half decent as well.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 scotland
May 16, 2003, 06:44:48 pm
I think the bouldering at Dumby is excellent, it's just the location that's a bit minging.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#15 scotland
May 17, 2003, 11:55:40 am
Quote from: "dom"

wolfcrag has a few good probs as well

Come on now, Wolfcrag is ok for an evening's training but I would not describe it as being good.

shreddingtonfrog

#16 scotland
May 17, 2003, 12:12:46 pm
Re Torridon Bouldering Mecca
Loads of piccies for imminent guidelet, but no-one in action in the shots....yet.
Innumerable problems, all dotted about

dom

• addict
#17 scotland
May 17, 2003, 02:22:49 pm

Come on now, Wolfcrag is ok for an evening's training but I would not describe it as being good.

fair enough, its better than climbing on buildings but even i cant pretend that its all that good.  the other places are decent tho

danielb

• regular
    • http://www.danielb.org.uk
#18 scotland
May 26, 2003, 04:09:29 pm
There is bouldering in the new North East Outcrops on the Sea Cliffs around Aberdeen and in some other areas too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal