UKBouldering.com

Router with print server (Read 2527 times)

underground

• forum hero
Router with print server
March 11, 2006, 07:35:28 pm
Been thinking about getting a router for the firewall facility and to minimise the amount of software I have to run. I already have a modem so no combined jobby needed (this is what I think now but may be totally wrong).

The other thing is, my good woman works on a laptop, but we only have room for one printer, which is connected to the PC, so she can't print.

So, with the above in mind, can anyone say whether THIS

would be a good option?

Thanks Muckers.  :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Router with print server
March 11, 2006, 07:39:29 pm
Shouldn't need it bro.

Just use XP printer sharing

As long as the lapper is networked then she can print no problem. Means the printer serving PC needs to be turned on, which is usually no big deal.

underground

• forum hero
#2 Router with print server
March 11, 2006, 08:11:59 pm
No, bro! I didn't explain clearly- there are two separate network connections - home PC on home broadband, lapper on a seperate phoneline to seperate broadband into the corporate VPN.

So I'm just wondering if I use the router for my connection, but she plugs into one of the routing ports via a RJ45 cable into the lapper, the print sever option will be available?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Router with print server
March 11, 2006, 08:18:38 pm
Ah, I see - it's a work lapdog then?

Hasn't the lapper got a printer port at the back? Just swap the printer cable to the lapper when you want to print.

underground

• forum hero
#4 Router with print server
March 11, 2006, 08:23:15 pm
Fuck that, it'd be a recipe for something getting broken. And the space is a nightmare with tangled wires all over. Would be the easy option though... But I thought since I was opting for a router anyway, would be a bonus...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Router with print server
March 12, 2006, 10:58:51 pm
Quote from: "underground"
So I'm just wondering if I use the router for my connection, but she plugs into one of the routing ports via a RJ45 cable into the lapper, the print sever option will be available?

Possibly, but it may mean changing her network settings from the work ones to your home ones and back again everytime she wants to print, which is a royal pain in the arse.

Is the laptop wireless? If it is it might be worth looking into printing via that, cos it may mean she could have different network settings for each network card (one wired, one wireless)  

What printer are you using? You can print with Infrared from some laptops directly to some printers (one or more adaptors may be needed but they don't cost much) You can print via  Bluetooth aswell but I haven't tried this and it's  a bit pricey..unless she gets work to buy her one. :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal