UKBouldering.com

The 50 best Firefox extensions for power-users (Read 20036 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I found that once the novelty of Piclens wore off, it became a bit annoying. Also not great on an older computer, it made my firefox very slow.

Discovered a nice, less obtrusive firefox plugin for browsing flickr called FlickrFox this morning.  Pretty handy so far, time will tell whether it actually gets used though.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Anyone who uses http:// and Firefox may find the Firefox plugin useful for adding, viewing and real-time syncing of your bookmarks.  Adds some handy buttons to the toolbar at the top, one of which opens a side menu of your delicious tags sync'd in real-time  :great:.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Anyone who uses http:// and Firefox may find the Firefox plugin useful for adding, viewing and real-time syncing of your bookmarks.  Adds some handy buttons to the toolbar at the top, one of which opens a side menu of your delicious tags sync'd in real-time  :great:.

Much prefer Foxmarks Bookmarks Synchronizer for simple synchronisation of bookmarks and it also does passwords if you want it to. Depends if you want or need the additional functionality of Delicious really.

bluebrad

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Much prefer Foxmarks Bookmarks Synchronizer for simple synchronisation of bookmarks and it also does passwords if you want it to. Depends if you want or need the additional functionality of Delicious really.

That looks handy too, although I prefer (and have used for a year or two now) Delicious.  I really like the concept of applying "tags" to data for categorisation.  I find it awkward and frustrating to have to classify my bookmarks (and emails) into a rigid hierarchy that folder-like categorisation imposes as one web-site may be related to several different areas (or indeed an email might fall into multiple categories.  By having tags you can let one copy of the message appear in multiple groups/clouds of tags as opposed to having to remember which one location you saved it too (or alternatively duplicating it in each folder/section that it might belong to).

Much of a muchness though its personal preference.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
I never got on with Delicious when I tried it - all the tagging and the like just didn't seem intuitive to me but then I am one of life's more disorganised people so that probably explains a lot.

A word of warning though to anyone who installs Foxmarks Bookmarks Synchronizer! Once you get it fine tuned it works seamlessly but in the early stages make sure that you back up your bookmarks before you start it going as it wipes out everything that you haven't set to be synchronised when it reconnects. Obviously this is not a problem if you are just using it on the one machine and you set it to back up everything and but if (like me) you move across multiple machines it will replace the bookmarks on the second machine with a copy of the original synch.

bluebrad

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
While we are on the subject of backing up things a couple of other really useful extensions - FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension) backs all extensions in Firefox (and a lot more besides if you want). Use it in conjunction with OPIE (Ordered Preference Import/Export) which saves all of your extension preferences.

bluebrad 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Handy plugin to signing unsigned SIS files that you find for you Symbian OS mobile phones.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Getting into this greasmonkey lark and found the following two plugins that work with Simple Machines Forums (the PHP-based forum software that sits behind UKB).  They basically autoload subsequent pages into your current when you get half-way through scrolling through the current page, which is pretty handy for very long threads.  :thumbsup:

Unpaginate SMF threads
Unpaginate pagination microformated web pages (dependency required by the above).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
which is pretty handy for very long threads.
for raping the server ;)

I'll give this one a try...

<edit> works well but only loads the next page when i'm right at the bottom of the current one. Shouldn't have any adverse affects on the server at all, I misunderstood what it was doing.

Greasemonkey is very cool.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:36:43 pm by Bubba »

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

The "Increase the Speed at Which Firefox loads pages" tips by altering the pipelining is not a good idea - it just overloads the server. It's constantly given out as a tip to improve speed but is really quite a selfish way of doing it.

Are the others worth trying?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

The "Increase the Speed at Which Firefox loads pages" tips by altering the pipelining is not a good idea - it just overloads the server. It's constantly given out as a tip to improve speed but is really quite a selfish way of doing it.

Ahh, ok, hadn't thought about things from the "other" side. Makes perfect sense though, although couldn't apache/lighttpd/whatever be configured to just ignore multiple requests from the same IP? Or are the specifics of your web-server software beyond your control?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I'm not sure how easy it is to limit requests in that way - I'll have to investigate further...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
More tips on improving Firefox speed its primarily on GNU/Linux systems and involves tweaking how the database (SQLite) that is used in the background to store the history and various other settings can be improved in speed as its currently a major I/O (Input/Output) bottleneck.  Instead of having this database on the HD which is relatively slow to read/write from/to, you use a temporary file system that resides in RAM which is much much faster.

Not sure how it much of it is transferable to M$-windows versions, but certainly step 1 is platform independant.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
This looks like it has promise some time in the future though it is not a direct replacement for Xmarks\FEBE\OPIE yet. When they get it sorted though it should be da bomb.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
This looks like it has promise some time in the future though it is not a direct replacement for Xmarks\FEBE\OPIE yet. When they get it sorted though it should be da bomb.

Looks promising, hopefully they know something more about Fennec actually making it onto devcies other than M$-Mobile (timeline keeps on getting put back for S60/Nokia).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Kitten Block (redirects links to Daily Fail and Daily Express to cute pictures of kittens).

Kitten Block (Chrome)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Aside from various useful anti-tracking things like uBlock, HTTPSEverywhere, Self-Desctructing Cookies, Ghostery and such like this might be useful...

BullShit Detector

I'm always surprised when NewsThump/DailyMash articles get linked in Da News thread as whilst they're topical they are clearly satire.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal