UKBouldering.com

Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad (Read 12918 times)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 19, 2010, 09:04:00 pm
It's like land of the bloody giants in here, who knew this many of you were so tall.  I am now adding 'have comedy photo taken while standing beside Blunk' to my To Do list.   ;)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#26 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 19, 2010, 11:40:27 pm
Hmmm swaying towards the idea of two saturns now, and telling the missus to toughen up and carry one haha, it will be a good warm up no?
Plus I can get one this month and go check out the boulders at Shoreditch park and Hackney wick, which look like lots of fun!

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#27 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 20, 2010, 12:08:36 am
I've vote for the Mondo - Best pad I've ever bought and two years down mine is still going strong despite getting masses of abuse.
Yeah it is a pain in ass to carry (esp here when you have to bush bash a bit) but I wouldn't be without it.  In fact, I was pleased to have it under me on Sat when I broke a hold on a roof and hit it full pelt, from head height, landing flat on my back. Didn't feel a thing. I'm 6'1 and about 88 kilos at the moment so I'm no small fry.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#28 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 20, 2010, 11:35:41 am
Aha, just found out that these guys do custom sized pads!

http://www.climbingfactory.co.uk/index.html

Didn't notice that before, have emailed them and they may be able to offer a hulk sized solution to my desires at a potentially very good price looking at what they charge for their other bits, and how reasonable they seem.

We shall see!

T_B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 20, 2010, 02:00:42 pm
i have a moon saturn. I like it to fall onto, but the problem with the bigger pads are they are a pain in the ar*e to carry if you need to carry a rucksack as well. with the moon pad if you stuff much inside it, it's very overbalacing to carry. that said, the rigidity of it is good for placing over uneven landing. not used a ronin, but don't know how well this is achieved with a blow up pad. I suspect a saturn and a ronin would be a nice combo, as would a pad caddy  ;)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#30 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 20, 2010, 02:15:12 pm
A Ronin and a Moon Saturn is a nightmare.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 20, 2010, 03:17:49 pm
There is of course one other option thats not been mentioned  :whistle:  :)

Which is..........?

Lose some weight!  :P

Thought you were gonna suggest installing Linux.

Well that too obviously, it goes without saying  :P

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#32 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 20, 2010, 04:55:00 pm
i have a moon saturn. I like it to fall onto, but the problem with the bigger pads are they are a pain in the ar*e to carry if you need to carry a rucksack as well. with the moon pad if you stuff much inside it, it's very overbalacing to carry. that said, the rigidity of it is good for placing over uneven landing. not used a ronin, but don't know how well this is achieved with a blow up pad. I suspect a saturn and a ronin would be a nice combo, as would a pad caddy  ;)

I would have thought using any kind of pad that blows up would be a little bit too dangerous for bouldering no?

I mean fair enough if you're into all that hollywood shit and what not, but I like to keep my explosions to a minimum, an uncontrolled fart here and there is as far as I like to push the envelope when it comes to pyrotechnics.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#33 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 20, 2010, 04:57:00 pm
not used a ronin, but don't know how well this is achieved with a blow up pad.

The Ronin is not a blow up pad

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#34 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
January 20, 2010, 11:18:16 pm
It's like land of the bloody giants in here, who knew this many of you were so tall.  I am now adding 'have comedy photo taken while standing beside Blunk' to my To Do list.   ;)

Like this only scarier!

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#35 Re: Big guy needs bouldering mat/pad
April 07, 2010, 11:46:00 am
Thought I would update you all :)

I got a quote from the climbing factory guys, and it was amazing value for money, and it did sound awesome.....
But I managed to track down a Moon Saturn for £169 with free postage, and that was just too good an offer to pass up, oh and it is the current model not the previous version.
Tested it out at the weekend down at The Roaches and Burbage South, can't say I really pushed the limits or anything (it was my first time on real rock lol), but I did drop down from about 10ft at one point and I gotta say it was a really surprisingly plush landing, plus the nice large landing area was very confidence inspiring.
I think the best way to describe it would be a well damped suspension unit, feels firm as hell when walking around on it normally, but when you land it seems to just dissipate the impact with little to no perceivable bounce/rebound.
It kind of reminds me of a pair of good quality knee pads from my bmxing days, the build quality also appears to be excellent, feels really sturdy and tough, really pleased with my purchase!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal