UKBouldering.com

stoney stuff (Read 10390 times)

blockhead

• player
stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 02:28:34 pm
I use the minus ten wall as regular warm up before an assault on the grit and have now done... or tried most of the problems in Ru's guide and the rockfax, with a few notable exceptions. The only ''official' problem i have done that isn't in the guides is dense's white ladder. There has to loads more out there, probably some classics of the moffat and moon era. What are they and how hard.

C'mon tell us yor problems!

Here some photos of the place to use/jog ya memory.

Apologies in advance if i can't get the pictures to work.

[Have edited correct image URLs in. You need to right click on the image once it is in the gallery. Then copy-paste the whole of URL into your post. - Bonjoy]

blockhead

• player
#1 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 02:36:26 pm
Bugger. Don't understand this at all. Have tried to do this:

You put a web page location in the image tag rather than the image location. If you go to the gallery page showing the image you want then right click on the image and select "Copy image location" or something similar. Then paste this in the img tags in your message then the wonders of the interoweb will display the image in your post.

But when i right click on the image in the gallery it doesnt give me the option to "copy image location". If i select "copy shortcut" that doesn't seem to work. Computers are shit.

Can anyone explain this to me in words of one syllable?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 02:43:51 pm
Have already done it for you. I'm not sure if Nik used a Mac or something as his instructions are a little misleading. Correct way is:
 Right click on image
 Select Properties. This will open a box with a link in the middle. This is the URL.
 Copy this URL. Make sure you get the whole of it, if its long some will be off page and require you to scroll onto it.
 Insert between tags as you did.

Also, it is better if you resize your image before posting on gallery, to save on memory and make it more user/screen size friendly. This can be done using all manner of programs.

blockhead

• player
#3 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 03:00:39 pm
Cheers. Think i understand now... although i said that last time.

I did resize those shots before submitting them - whats optimum size for viewing on the forum? and do your picures appear when you 'preview' your message or is it just the code?

That last picture is your starter for 10.

Sit start, hands in break, sidepull sloper, small crimp, good diagonal sidepull to top break. Feet anywhere 'cept in the two vertical cracks - two hard rock ups about 7b/7b+. Sure it or something like it will have been done many times before.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 03:50:19 pm
Yes the image should show in preview.
 I'd say around 500-600 pixels wide for landscape and 300-400 pixels wide for portrait.

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 04:19:25 pm
The problem with my instructions is that they assume you are using firefox. Perhaps not a reasonable assumption, so just add the following bit to the start of theinstructions and it will all make sense:-

Install and use firefox as your web browser.

dave

#6 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 06:39:05 pm
alright, here is the holds for dense's white ladder:

of course althought we all call it dense's white ladder, it will inevitably have been done by every man and their dog in the 80s. supposed to be 7b+/c

a dense loner

• forum hero
#7 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 07:41:06 pm
The only ''official' problem i have done that isn't in the guides

therein lies the rub dave. blockheads already done it. originally done by 3 passing gypseys i believe

dave

#8 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 08:02:39 pm
aye i know he's done it, i posted it for everyone else's benefit. just call me a good muthafucking samaritan (i don't mean that in the sense of "call me a taxi").

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 08:22:29 pm
you're too kind, don't make a habit of it tho some women don't like it

blockhead

• player
#10 stoney stuff
February 09, 2006, 08:46:41 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Yes the image should show in preview.
 I'd say around 500-600 pixels wide for landscape and 300-400 pixels wide for portrait.

Cheers Bonjoy, its all slowly starting to make sense. Now i know the image will appear in preview i wont have to make any posts in the hope that the pictures will just sort themselves out somehow.

If its any consolation i'm really good at programming the video recorder. I can get it work nearly every time.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#11 stoney stuff
February 10, 2006, 10:59:14 am
Bit busy at the mo but I will try to post some other stuff over the next months or so. There were a No of things not included in the guide due to space (a pre-requisite of my section being that I appear on every page) :wink:

Some particularly dirty little Nos and a few nice other things.

Funnily enough I always used the grit as a warm up for stoney!

Andy

blockhead

• player
#12 stoney stuff
February 15, 2006, 12:50:50 pm
Cheers Andy, it will be much appreciated. Already looking forward to wrestling with them crimps and frictionless footholds. Nice.

james

• obsessive maniac
#13 stoney stuff
March 04, 2006, 07:52:41 pm
For a bonus point, do white ladder from a sit.  Adds a few interesting and quite tricky moves. 7c

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#14 stoney stuff
March 04, 2006, 08:50:23 pm
For a bonus point, do white ladder from a sit. Adds a few interesting and quite tricky moves. 7c

Using what holds? The break?

And how do people usually do the top move - where do they put their feet? Presumably there is a better way than leaping with both feet in the break?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#15 stoney stuff
March 04, 2006, 09:28:03 pm
the top move is a big leap, thats how its done. Its blind putting your feet on

james

• obsessive maniac
#16 stoney stuff
March 04, 2006, 09:41:39 pm
Sit is as follows:
Outside left foot on shit edge/slot (next to pollished nothing sloper)
Right foot flagging right
Left hand in break
Right hand on undercut/break (just right of main white ladder right foothold for standup)
Right foot to "main white ladder right foothold for standup" (just left of right hand, feeld bunched)
Right hand starting sidepull of white ladder standup
Left hand starting crimp of WL standup
Finish WL

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#17 stoney stuff
March 04, 2006, 10:01:48 pm
Quote from: "Jim"
the top move is a big leap, thats how its done. Its blind putting your feet on

I realise there has to be a certain amount of jumping, I was just wondering if there are better footholds to jump off than both feet in the break? I know it's blind, that's why I asked, as I was getting getting knackered hanging on the crimps and trying to find the best foothold. Decided in the end that maybe getting a left foot quite high on the smear beneath the bulge might be the way, though it was the end of the session and I didn't get a chance to try it, so this could be nonsense...

The sit start sounds like good clean finger snapping fun.  :shock:  :D

dave

#18 stoney stuff
March 05, 2006, 07:20:48 pm
think andy did it with oleft foot on a blind foothold above the break. the one with brushmarks on it.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#19 stoney stuff
March 05, 2006, 07:29:36 pm
thats the one you use...

blockhead

• player
#20 stoney stuff
March 06, 2006, 02:22:21 pm
I used right toe on an obvious and good smear about 6 inches above the break. You can see it on daves photo - between starting holds and just above break - a small white patch in... a dark sea of grey. Easy to see and place from the top 2 crimps. It makes last move a steady pop not an all out leap.

abarro81

• forum hero
#21 Re: stoney stuff
January 30, 2009, 10:23:50 pm
Right, so Dave's pic with the white ladder holds earlier in the thread seem's to be gone.. What are the rules? Got some psyche to get to stoney once my exams are out of the way.

Kingy

• forum hero
#22 Re: stoney stuff
January 30, 2009, 10:44:55 pm
Using the diagram on p324 of the guide, pull on with your right foot on a polished good bit of the break, using small sidepull 8 for your RH and small crimp 4 for your LH. Lock up for a small grey crimp with the RH then aim for a really bad crimp for the LH that slants down from R to L. Bring your left foot up into the best bit of the break below your LH and then spring for the jug in the break, a classic yet frustrating move! I could never reach the apex of the jug and went for it on the lowest part on the right hand side but I believe for the full approved tick, one must grab the true apex (only at Minus 10!) A sit start exists and is supposed to be 7c but seems pretty contrived, I could never figure it out. Enjoy!

Duma

• forum hero
#23 Re: stoney stuff
January 30, 2009, 10:53:31 pm
I believe for the full approved tick, one must grab the true apex

A sit start exists and is supposed to be 7c but seems pretty contrived

:lol: :lol: :lol:

abarro81

• forum hero
#24 Re: stoney stuff
January 30, 2009, 11:00:51 pm
Presumably the second holds aren't numbered on the topo? Above 5 and 6, between 2 and 10?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal