Yorkshire conditions? (Read 3830 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Yorkshire conditions?
February 01, 2006, 10:03:22 pm
How are they? Things have been good here down in the Peak but it's got real foggy and raw recently.

What is the weather / rock like at places like Caley, Brimham, Slipstones, Brideys, par example?

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Yorkshire conditions?
February 02, 2006, 08:22:35 am
cold and sunny last sat at brimham.according to the missus who works on the edge of york it was -3 and dry yesterday.why do'nt you p.m. big frank out at pately.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Yorkshire conditions?
February 02, 2006, 10:49:43 am
I was at Brimham on Sunday - cold, and foggy.  Generally dry rock (enough for a good day out if you can keep warm) but the odd wet patch - seepage streaks on Whiskey Galore etc.  Its been like that for the few few weekends in my experience - the Nidderdale valley seems to cling to the damp more than the surrounding area (doesn't seem to shake off the dew / frost either cf Almscliff etc)..

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
#3 Yorkshire conditions?
February 02, 2006, 01:54:34 pm
Cold damp and foggy today!
Guys Cliffe looked spectacular this morning as the woodland is covered in a thick white frost. generaly I can see it from the shop window - not today!

I was at Caley a couple of weeks ago, that was minging!

I would head to Almscliff or even risk Slipstones personaly.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#4 Yorkshire conditions?
February 02, 2006, 02:09:01 pm
Jim went to slippies yesterday... i'd take your thermals...

Sypeland

• stalker
#5 Yorkshire conditions?
February 02, 2006, 02:21:06 pm
Brave man, Pateley didn't get above -4 yesterday, I bet Slippers was colder!

(woz)

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Yorkshire conditions?
February 02, 2006, 02:36:50 pm
Quote from: "Fiend"
What is the weather / rock like at places like Caley, Brimham, Slipstones, Brideys, par example?

Caley was mint on tuesday + it hasn't rained/condensed since then so should be perfect.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7 Yorkshire conditions?
February 02, 2006, 07:02:27 pm
Quote from: "Francis Holland"
Brave man, Pateley didn't get above -4 yesterday, I bet Slippers was colder!

Perfect  :D

Cheers guys.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#8 Yorkshire conditions?
February 02, 2006, 07:42:58 pm
slipstone was -2 when we rocked up in the car. quite foggy but the rock was dry. despite feeling much colder when leaving it turned out to be only +1 degree. bizarre

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#9 Yorkshire conditions?
February 03, 2006, 04:59:05 pm
any chance of Caley still being dry for saturday?  There's been some v. light drizzle today in Durham and it's all a bit horrible and damp up here (Almscliff weather?).

dave

#10 Yorkshire conditions?
February 03, 2006, 06:33:26 pm
I too would like to know what the caley flava is. I imagine almscliff will by dry whatever though.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#11 Yorkshire conditions?
March 02, 2006, 02:29:43 pm
bump..... what's it like in god's-own-county?  Is there likely to be much snow on the ground / general dampness at the likes of Caley, Brimham, Slipstones this weekend?  

There's been no snow up here in Durham at all - just sunshine and subzero temperatures (-5Cish overnight etc) but I've heard tell of 6" of snowfall in parts of Yorkshire.  Weighing-up whether to be taken in by glorious appearances and drive down to the grit, ignoring the certainty of utterly numb extremities and a long drive back to the wall.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#12 Yorkshire conditions?
March 02, 2006, 09:48:57 pm
Was in Leeds last night, so sign of snow, dry and bloody freezing  :wink:

webbo

• forum hero
#13 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 08:38:59 am
i was at almscliff on tues.blowing a gale and freezing.went to caley which was in good nick apart from being colder than i can ever remember.i had 7 layers on at one point.
thermal t shirt,long sleved t shirt,s/s t shirt,thin fleece,thick fleese,red point jacket,down jacket.
friction was'nt bad apart from some holds were so cold they hurt.
there not forcasting much snow for west yorks,so it should be good for sat at least.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#14 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 08:59:39 am
Quote from: "webbo"
i had 7 layers on at one point.
thermal t shirt,long sleved t shirt,s/s t shirt,thin fleece,thick fleese,red point jacket,down jacket.

Maybe a nice knitted cardigan and some fleecy slippers would have helped... :wink:

Stubbs

#15 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 09:13:01 am
Reckon it'll be mint at caley over the weekend if this stable weather keeps up - it was warmer yesterday than the days before, but it only really became bearable to be outside after about 1 pm (i've been out on site all week) so i ain't rushin to get out of bed tomorrow...

Saturday looks better than sunday too: -9 with windchill on sunday apparently  :shock:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#16 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 11:21:58 am
I reckon I'll brave it on saturday at least then.  Brimham or Caley will be witness to around 2 hours of utterly numbed mooching and pawing, prior to a 90 mile drive back to the wall, probably filled with seething resentment that I made the effort cos' otherwise I could have got in a trip to the cinema!  

Mind there is hope - the air is so utterly bone dry that it doesn't feel anyway as horrible as it has done on recent less cold, but damper days.

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 11:45:52 am
Quote from: "Fiend"
Quote from: "webbo"
i had 7 layers on at one point.

Maybe a nice knitted cardigan and some fleecy slippers would have helped... :wink:

i may be of mature years but have yet to resort to cardigans and slippers.any more aspersions on my dress sense and you will be hearing from my tailor. :evil:

Sypeland

• stalker
#18 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 01:05:48 pm
Yesterday was perfect, sunny and freezing cold, hence how Baltic Arete got it's name!

Today started the same, blue sunny sky and freezing, but in the last hour we have got thick cloud cover!

Sypeland

• stalker
#19 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 01:39:50 pm
A few flakes coming down!

Stubbs

#20 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 06:20:08 pm
The sky has just done a big sloppy snow dump over west yorkshire, so i take back everything i said about caley earlier - Shit  :x

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#21 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 06:45:56 pm
arse.... is it properly coming down? Any hope of largely dry climbable rock at Brimham/ Caley on saturday?

Uncertainty abounds as to whether to bother with the 150 mile round trip to yorkshire, or just save petrol and go straight to Sunderland Wall.  

Could look to the north I guess - any word on Northumberland conditions?  Presumably pretty bad too - since Kyloe / Bowdens are fairly coastal.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#22 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 06:47:45 pm
blockbuster is still doable in heavy snow  :D

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#23 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 06:58:36 pm
"You can get your fingers in there you rat" etc!  

Unfortunately Blockbuster is not doable by me - although a session on Secret Seventh was planned... I had absurd delusions of going home having managed to statically reach the high arete from the heel-hook (god.. just how small and sad are my ambitions?!).  Is there definitely no hope of non-blockbuster caley being climbable then?  

You will be happy to know that Durham is completely snow-less.... unfortunately there is no decent bouldering for at least 35 miles (Shaftoe and Goldsborough)!

andy_e

• forum hero
#24 Yorkshire conditions?
March 03, 2006, 07:01:39 pm
Get a session down at kepier dude!

I've climbed at Caley in snow. There was no topping out but it wasn't as heavy as it has been recently so it will probably be piss wet through.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal