UKBouldering.com

Pex Hill (Read 11836 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Pex Hill
January 30, 2006, 02:41:39 pm
To all fans of this great venue - or those who haven't visited yet (shame on you!) - Pete Chadwick kindly made the most of this weather by spending most of Saturday scrubbing the place clean. Many classic problems such as Grand Horizontal, Catalepsy, Breakaway and Monoblock now spick and span - get 'em while they're clean.

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 11:18:27 am
Quote from: "andy popp"
To all fans of this great venue - or those who haven't visited yet (shame on you!) - Pete Chadwick kindly made the most of this weather by spending most of Saturday scrubbing the place clean. Many classic problems such as Grand Horizontal, Catalepsy, Breakaway and Monoblock now spick and span - get 'em while they're clean.

Alriiiight!! Shame it's still bloody dark after work mid week. Might try and squeeze a quick session in on the way home when i visit my folks on Sunday.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 11:23:19 am
That's cool, good effort Pete.

Might have to head over at some point.

What condition are the easier problems and leadable routes in??

BenF

• forum hero
#3 Re: Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 12:13:49 pm
Pete Chadwick kindly made the most of this weather by spending most of Saturday scrubbing the place clean.

Pete texted me on Friday night to invite me along, but to my shame I copped out of cleaning duty and went to Porth Ysgo instead (no decision really...  cleaning a scruffy quarry in the shade or sun drenched, beach bouldering?).  

However, I shall make amends and head down there soon to do my bit though.  I use the place often enough after work and appreciate the cleaning that gets done each year, so I will do my share...

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#4 Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 12:26:22 pm
Do you know if Black Magic's been cleaned?

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 02:13:18 pm
Just the reaction I was after - once clean the place needs traffic to keep it that way. I think Pete concentrated on Lady Jane wall (on your left as you enter) but also did some on far end of Pisa Wall (right as you enter) - doubt he got round to Black Magic. One word of warning, Pete told me last night that though Catalepsy (total classic) is clean the top out is a little earthy - be careful

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#6 Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 02:33:00 pm
Hey Andy, a while ago there was a bit of discussion about Monoblock and how hard it was, with the locals saying it was nails, and the peak boys saying it couldn't be that nails, and if it wasn't so far away they'd all have done it one handed by now, possibly whilst closing a number 2 with the free hand.

Don't quote me on that, but anyway, as no-one had actually done it, conversation degenerated into a shoulder shrugging contest. But you've done it haven't you, so, out of curiousity, how hard do you think it is?

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#7 Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 04:51:07 pm
hey andy, you getting down there at all at moment ?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#8 Re: Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 05:54:15 pm

Catalepsy and Breakaway stay pretty clean anyway, as does Grand Horizontal. It's only the top-outs of Breakaway and particularly Catalepsy which got very dirty. I did Catalepsy a couple of years back, just after Pete and Buzz had dug back the overgrowth at the top, and was mighty glad they had. I spent a lot of time cleaning things like Cosine Alternative (better than Bermuda Triangle IMHO), Bernie the Bolt and Philharmonic about 2 years ago. It's a shame they don't see the traffic they deserve.

BTW how hard is Monoblock? AFAIK it's only had the three ascents, yours, Phils and Joe's.

andy_e

• forum hero
#9 Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 06:06:33 pm
http://www.rockfax.com/databases/results_route.html?id=10081
Although I'm sure it's harder from the description I've heard!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#10 Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 06:59:58 pm
Andi-E, I think the point of the question is that the rockfax grade was just a guess, and not informed by anyone who has actually done it...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#11 Pex Hill
January 31, 2006, 07:31:44 pm
It was the best guess Pete and I could come up with.... Correct answers on a post card to...

pete

#12 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 10:07:12 am
I thought Monoblock was getting on for 7c+ but Andy and Joe seem to think it's easier than that but they are/used to be fairly handy. Mind you, this is Phil Davidson's version of Monoblock I'm talking about. Joe Healy's original route starts to the right and once feet are established on the break shuffles leftwards before making the same difficult move to the high pocket with the right hand. The line that Joe originally planned to climb has still not been done to my knowledge. I don't think the original version has been repeated perhaps this is because it has been superseded by Phil's, a better and easier line but maybe also because Pex has become a bit of a backwater. Both were first climbed in 1986. Now have you got all that? I will be asking questions later.
Pete Chadwick
PS. When I went down at the weekend there were many holds that had been covered with what I and Will Simm thought was liquid chalk, very unsightly and a bugger to get off. Not come across this before!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 10:21:49 am
on an ever so slightly different note, at a secret location yesterday there was so much chalk on the holds as to render them almost useless. we had to spend the first 20 mins cursing n using horse hair

am glad you came up with that description pete. instead of the nonsense people usually band about :D

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#14 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 10:31:20 am
Quote from: "a dense loner"
on an ever so slightly different note, at a secret location yesterday there was so much chalk on the holds as to render them almost useless. we had to spend the first 20 mins cursing n using horse hair

This wouldn't be the 'secret location' that every man and his dog knows about by any chance? Hence the chalk :wink:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#15 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 11:37:45 am
a much more succint clue was given

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#16 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 06:36:44 pm
Just a though. I would be happy to give anyone the 'Cook's Tour' of the hallowed ground that is Pex. Anyone fancy it?

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 06:54:00 pm
Quote from: "Andy F"
Just a though. I would be happy to give anyone the 'Cook's Tour' of the hallowed ground that is Pex. Anyone fancy it?

Yeah. Is it really worth it over, say, the peak?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#18 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 07:52:16 pm
no thanks andy F, i've been :wink:

ding dong

• addict
#19 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 07:53:48 pm
had a great session at pex today, been there before briefly and didnt really see most of the lines, but today there were enticing dabs of chalk showing the way on many of the routes.
balancy tenuous walls on the whole usualy easing to highball finishes, careful on the top outs!
good conditions today, i expect a lot of the problems would be 'impossible' during the summer?
get down there people.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#20 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 08:08:49 pm
What did you get done? Hope you tried/did Catalepsy as it's one of the finest problems known to man.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#21 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 08:48:32 pm
Catalepsy and Breakaway saw quite a few ascents each. Jonny Ratcliffe narrowly missed flashing Breakaway! Ding Dong also did Bernie.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#22 Pex Hill
February 01, 2006, 09:32:15 pm
Here's a shot from today:

Jonny Boy Ratcliffe climbing the classic Catalepsy.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#23 Pex Hill
February 02, 2006, 12:00:43 pm
Good effort lads, sorry I couldn't be there. Really good to see all the attention the place is getting at the mo.

Also, thanks for all the hard work done by Pete et al. Added to the bush clearing by Buzz earlier in the year, Pex hasn't looked so good in ages!

Would be happy to join in any guiding as well guys.....

andy popp

• forum hero
#24 Pex Hill
February 05, 2006, 11:57:03 am
Missed the boat on the question about Monoblock grade but Pete's got more idea than me to be honest (I'm one of those stupid people who thinks everything I find hard is about the same grade - around 7b+ in my case) I think Steve Dunning gave it a brief try one time with Pete so its not a complete pushover.

It might be interesting though to here the Welsh team's grades for the things they did - building parity for the new guide.

Might be a Peak/local team there tomorriw

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal