UKBouldering.com

wack weather (Read 3196 times)

dave

wack weather
January 07, 2006, 06:44:06 pm
OK so the weather blows in the peak this weekend. theres a few places known for dryness that i've never been to yet and don't know how dry they really stay in winter. so someone hit me with some beta. As you may guess i really really don't want to have to go indoors this weekend.

the first obvious example is the churnet. question? does this actually stay dry in this kinda shit weather? Its a fuck off a long way to go just on the offchance.

people always say hueco wall at cratcliffe stays dry, yes it does low down but its still toss and damn limited.

bell hagg - yeah the burgular section stays dry 24-7, the rest gets green though.

roche abbey - gyppo lane bouldering i have only seen wet once, and that was cos of a thick wind-driven damp fog getting underneath, otherwise always dry.

minus ten wall - i have never been there and been able to do nowt......but its still -10.

any others?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 wack weather
January 07, 2006, 06:54:28 pm
If its like this ain't nowhere gonna be dry. Snow was stickin on tops at dusk.

Bear with me now, gonna think outside the box and inside the peak... anyone wanna take me caving? I'm thinkin all that squirmin would be good for the back.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 wack weather
January 07, 2006, 07:02:32 pm
If only Craig David weren't banned eh  :roll:
 Bouldering by lamplight in caves is the future by the way.

dave

#3 wack weather
January 07, 2006, 07:33:22 pm
anyone wanna go and aid mecca on bolts? you may be able to score yourself a few foundry quickdraws as swag.  :wink:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: wack weather
January 07, 2006, 08:08:25 pm
Quote from: "dave"
the first obvious example is the churnet. question? does this actually stay dry in this kinda shit weather? Its a fuck off a long way to go just on the offchance.

Ben F and Fatneck dropped some beta bombs on a friend and myself about the Churnizzle, said it was good in wet weather. We scoped it out a week ago when the cold/snow was finally getting turned to rain, and although a lot of the buttresses are steep enough to stay dry in the rain, they also tend to gather condensation and get pretty claggy / damp / seepy. So not really good for this weather I don't think - would be good on a pissy day after general good weather.

Fj

• menacing presence
#5 wack weather
January 07, 2006, 09:47:35 pm
Agree with all said in the last post, but would add be careful if you do climb at churnet in/shortly after rain, as the usually soft grit gets even weaker and holds have been known to break :roll:

BenF

• forum hero
#6 Re: wack weather
January 08, 2006, 12:42:27 pm
Quote from: "Fiend"
Ben F and Fatneck dropped some beta bombs on a friend and myself about the Churnizzle, said it was good in wet weather. We scoped it out a week ago when the cold/snow was finally getting turned to rain, and although a lot of the buttresses are steep enough to stay dry in the rain, they also tend to gather condensation and get pretty claggy / damp / seepy. So not really good for this weather I don't think - would be good on a pissy day after general good weather.

Good summary Fiend, shame our beta didn't provide you with a day of climbing...  but don't give up on the Churnet, it is a special place.

As well as being special, the Churnet is a strange place.  Sometimes it's pissing down and it's bone.  Other times (like when it condenses) it's barely raining but fucked.  Wright's Rock usually has something dry, whatever the rain/condensation situation, even if it's just the traverse.  I would say that if it's a wet day but not the middle of winter or the third wet day on the trot, then head that way.  Me and others will be for sure.  It's saved the day countless times in spring, summer and autumn if it's raining on the grit but the rain ain't torrential (the walk up to the crags is a bummer if it's pissing down).

BenF

• forum hero
#7 wack weather
January 08, 2006, 12:46:22 pm
Oh yeah, just to rub a bit of salt and that, I forgot to say...  I was out bouldering in the Llanberis Pass all day yesterday and it was fuckin' mint.  Cold, dry and empty.

One of the advantages of living west of the Pennines; I can get way out west easily enough. :wink:

But I don't have Burbage fifteen minutes away though. :cry:

dave

#8 wack weather
January 08, 2006, 06:13:48 pm
stoney was ok today - decent nick on -10 wall. holds in tom's roof were damp/wet by the time we got up there but still got a good session in.

ferret

• forum abuser
#9 wack weather
January 09, 2006, 01:44:38 am
wrights rock and bizarre were both dry on sat despite copious amounts of rain and snow, its worth taking the chance on if ya psyched

BenF

• forum hero
#10 wack weather
January 09, 2006, 08:01:42 am
Quote from: "ferret"
wrights rock and bizarre were both dry on sat despite copious amounts of rain and snow, its worth taking the chance on if ya psyched

Bizarre was dry?  Really?  Even the top out?  I haven't seen that problem truly dry for yonks.  As I said before, strange place.

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#11 wack weather
January 09, 2006, 10:14:11 am
Quote from: "BenF"
Oh yeah, just to rub a bit of salt and that, I forgot to say...  I was out bouldering in the Llanberis Pass all day yesterday and it was fuckin' mint.  Cold, dry and empty.

Was out there as well on Saturday, conditions were sh!t hot! A little brassic but well worth the old journey from Manchester.

Went to Almscliff Sunday and somehow managed to squeeze a session in despite the wank weather. Think the cliff must have been the only dry crag in Yorkshire!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 wack weather
January 10, 2006, 12:29:57 pm
Argghh this weather sucks cock. Still its good to know its all in the normal pattern. Check the singularities:

25 Dec  - 31 Dec     (83%)
One of the most traditional periods of the year where in many years the Atlantic brings gales and heavy rain/sleet or snow back to the UK during the festive week.     

5 Jan - 17 Jan  (87%)
A traditionally wet and windy period of the year as the Atlantic begins to become more active, however storm systems affect mainly western areas.     

18 Jan - 24 Jan    (87% )
Dry and frosty as high pressure begins to affect the UK, Easterly winds are quite common during this time.       

24 Jan - 3 Feb    (85%)
This period is notorious for gales and severe gales to affect the UK with snowfall a high risk to many areas.        

8 Feb    - 16 Feb    (56%)
This period usually sees the years highest frequency of high pressure across the UK and is usually the coldest period of the year. A good period to head off to the Alps for some ski-ing    

Only another ten days of it then....

saltbeef

• forum hero
#13 wack weather
January 10, 2006, 12:40:45 pm
if this grim weather persists much longer I may have to joing cowboy hat in the solarium in an attempt to stave off SAD

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#14 wack weather
January 10, 2006, 12:54:34 pm
Quote from: "cubanallstar"
Went to Almscliff Sunday and somehow managed to squeeze a session in despite the wank weather. Think the cliff must have been the only dry crag in Yorkshire!

Arrggghhh... not what I wanted to hear!  On sunday I drove through 75 miles of drizzle to get to Almscliff at around 11am, saw fog and a dripping crag, and promptly drove to the Sunderland Wall feeling thoroughly pissed off.  Still, to be honest I'm not sure if I could have stuck-out  5 hours of cold and damp lurking under the Virgin (sometimes, sad to say, a simple session of beefy indoor gymnastics is most what I feel like).

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#15 wack weather
January 11, 2006, 01:11:10 pm
Quote from: "moose"
Quote from: "cubanallstar"

Arrggghhh... not what I wanted to hear!  On sunday I drove through 75 miles of drizzle to get to Almscliff at around 11am, saw fog and a dripping crag, and promptly drove to the Sunderland Wall feeling thoroughly pissed off.  Still, to be honest I'm not sure if I could have stuck-out  5 hours of cold and damp lurking under the Virgin (sometimes, sad to say, a simple session of beefy indoor gymnastics is most what I feel like).

Shit house! Most of the crag was dry suprisingly Worth getting my Forest Hills muddy for anyway!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 wack weather
January 12, 2006, 05:01:19 pm
For those at work, I bring good news from the peak. Despite only two dry days the wind has dried just about everything, even slow driers like brad pit and rowtor. Forecast looks to hold for tomorrow, if it looks to crap out before the weekend I'd be taking the day off. Back to the anti-hydral now.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#17 wack weather
January 12, 2006, 05:05:49 pm
Froggatt was NOT dry at 12ish today but Cubar was with a force 8 blowing your mat all over the shop and taking your whippet out(she wasnt happy :lol: )

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal