UKBouldering.com

Humpin' @ Curbar (Read 16870 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#25 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 01:42:33 pm
exactly my point. you'd want to claim it, people of a more discerning nature would think it unimportant

Stubbs

#26 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 01:48:16 pm
Willy waving, irrespective of the amount or quality of problems claimed, could also be avoided by just using the log book function, rather than the ranking one.

(editted to make sense)

irish si

• menacing presence
#27 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 02:52:57 pm
david mason, doing a problem in 'a first session' is not onsight (as you argued with my G/F)... come on update your 8a.nu....

also ive done this problem half a decade ago approx...

saltbeef

• forum hero
#28 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 03:40:23 pm
Quote from: "a dense loner"

thanks for the advice i will try and get out more as soon as God decides to add an extra day to the week.

you misery! ha ha! so yoou caqn get out 8 days a week to moan, ratherr than 7!

saltbeef

• forum hero
#29 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 03:42:51 pm
Quote from: "irish si"
david mason, doing a problem in 'a first session' is not onsight (as you argued with my G/F)... come on update your 8a.nu...

i agree mr mason, look at this guy! onsight monster!

account_inactive

• forum hero
#30 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 04:13:42 pm
Try http://www.xpressit.nl/boulderingdownloads/ for a way to record your routes without getting your tiny cocks out.............. :roll: [/url]

a dense loner

• forum hero
#31 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 04:39:41 pm
if the internet is down for any reason you can also go old skool and record your stuff on paper, quite possibly a diary. if climbing in all weather's and you have a bad memory may i recommend using a pencil to jot down your latest ticks

monkey boy

• forum hero
#32 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 04:40:37 pm
Quote from: "irish si"
david mason, doing a problem in 'a first session' is not onsight (as you argued with my G/F)... come on update your 8a.nu....

sadly i cant be arsed to change it all as this would take forever. Well i did say someone has probably done it before so well done just letting people know its there as it is quite a good line.
I didnt argue with your girlfriend it was what i thought onsight meant sorry if everyone is so upset by this.
it will be the last time i will put stuff on this sight, and we were only wondering whether it had been done before.
oh well back up to leeds soon and yorkshire where the climbing is good and people tend not to be such up their own ass pricks like the climbing community in Sheffield.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#33 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 05:10:29 pm
absolutely amazing.

you have done a lot of good probs, meaning you are a decent climber. if you never knew what on-sight was why did you claim things as on-sight? it is things like your scorecard which makes people think 8a.nu is a farce

there is nothing up my arse about not wanting to report a problem that i thought was a stocking filler, and that i was quite sure every man and his dog had done. there may be something up si's arse, most probably festerring?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 05:16:23 pm
Quote from: "monkey boy"

sadly i cant be arsed to change it all as this would take forever.

So you could be arsed to do it all in the first place, but now you realise your fake ranking will plummet, you cant be arsed to change it?

it will be the last time i will put stuff on this sight.

Please don't go, you will be sorely missed. PS If you learned the difference between site and sight, you might be able to figure out where the word onsight actually comes from, as opposed to on site.

oh well back up to leeds soon and yorkshire where the climbing is good and people tend not to be such up their own ass pricks like the climbing community in Sheffield.

You will probably find the "pricks" on this site cover the width and breadth of the country, so watch your back next time you are at the 'cliff, you never know who is "spotting"  you.

tc

• junky
#35 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 05:22:12 pm
Easy tiger. There's no need for that.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#36 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 05:31:40 pm
Quote from: "SA Chris"

sadly i cant be arsed to change it all as this would take forever.

So you could be arsed to do it all in the first place, but now you realise your fake ranking will plummet, you cant be arsed to change it?

it will be the last time i will put stuff on this sight.

Please don't go, you will be sorely missed. PS If you learned the difference between site and sight, you might be able to figure out where the word onsight actually comes from, as opposed to on site.

You will probably find the "pricks" on this site cover the width and breadth of the country, so watch your back next time you are at the 'cliff, you never know who is "spotting"  you.

As the only person on this board who actually knows dave (nice guy btw) I can assure you that he would be the last person to be bothered about the ranking - and it is quite an effort to change even one problem, let alone all of them. We all know that 8a. isnt accurate, or even close, so what does it matter - and i'm sure you are far too 'cool' to look at the site anyway, so it is no concern of yours.
And you can't really blame him for being angry with the posters on this site after the treatment he has recieved

p.s. well done for spotting his typo

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#37 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 05:40:35 pm
I'm sure he's lovely, but I don't appreciate being called a prick, especially a sheffield prick (:wink:  in case I alienate the whole site)/

I don't look at 8a.nu, not because I'm too cool, but because the whole thing is bollocks. Why else would you use the site if weren't interested in your wankings?

(woz)

• forum abuser
#38 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 05:58:29 pm
Quote from: "SA Chris"
I'm sure he's lovely, but I don't appreciate being called a prick, especially a sheffield prick (:wink:  in case I alienate the whole site)/

I don't look at 8a.nu, not because I'm too cool, but because the whole thing is bollocks. Why else would you use the site if weren't interested in your wankings?

I can only speak for myself on this one but I can honestly say that I never look at where I am in the rankings - I couldn't care less. If every single climber in the world was on it, with completely accurate scorecards, then i probably would (and i dont think that that makes me a bad/egotistical person - its human nature to be competitive).
I use it as a record of what i've done, and i find the training log useful too. I sometimes even look at other peoples scorecards to see what they thought of problems.

as for the name calling - just think "sticks and stones" and i'm sure you wont get too upset.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#39 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 06:28:31 pm
i don't understand, are people upset with me? are they upset because i didn't think it worthy of a write-up? which si also feels is the case. i was pointing out, like i have done a number of times in the past, that if a problem is "easy" in a well travelled venue it would more than likely have been done before. if you guy's had asked if the prob had been done i would have said yes, whereas what was asked was has this problem been done, if not i will give it 7b+ n call it humpin. it was at this point that i nearly passed water

i read 8a every so often, in fact i get emails telling me to look at certain times, an even bigger fact i got an email enquiring about who this guy dave was since his scorecard is quite impressive

andy_e

• forum hero
#40 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 06:40:36 pm
The rankings are utter boolocks anyway, I was 40-odd last time I checked! i would expect to be more like 4000-odd.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#41 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 06:50:36 pm

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#42 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 06:52:09 pm
Put your meat and two veg away Fiend, there's children watching!

BoulderHog

• addict
#43 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 06:58:49 pm
I also know Dave and think he's a sound guy and a good climber.  It seems understandable to me that a boulderer might not know the meaning of the term onsight, which is basically a sport/trad concept with no place in the bouldering world, it's unfortunate that 8a have it as an option and credit it with so many more 'points'.

As for this new problem, I can appreciate how a local may be annoyed at some kid coming along trying to claim something that is well known to them, but honestly this should be in the guidebook, that to my mind is what a guidebook is for, to list as many problems that are known at the time. Also it looks like a good line to me, sit start up an arete with tricky opening moves - if this now constitutes an inconsequential and wank line, then it's a sad day for bouldering.

7B+ is hardly piss is it? I'm sure there are lots of people on this board who aspire to this grade, saying it's 'easy' is a bit of a slap to the face.

Finally, I don't think everyone should be so harsh about willy waving in general, after all, just about every human activity has some willy waving as a motive.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#44 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 07:01:29 pm
Quote from: "BoulderHog"
I also know Dave and think he's a sound guy and a good climber.  It seems understandable to me that a boulderer might not know the meaning of the term onsight, which is basically a sport/trad concept with no place in the bouldering world, it's unfortunate that 8a have it as an option and credit it with so many more 'points'.

As for this new problem, I can appreciate how a local may be annoyed at some kid coming along trying to claim something that is well known to them, but honestly this should be in the guidebook, that to my mind is what a guidebook is for, to list as many problems that are known at the time. Also it looks like a good line to me, sit start up an arete with tricky opening moves - if this now constitutes an inconsequential and wank line, then it's a sad day for bouldering.

7B+ is hardly piss is it? I'm sure there are lots of people on this board who aspire to this grade, saying it's 'easy' is a bit of a slap to the face.

Finally, I don't think everyone should be so harsh about willy waving in general, after all, just about every human activity has some willy waving as a motive.

I think that about sums it up

BoulderHog

• addict
#45 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 07:04:11 pm
Actually, maybe something like trainspotting hasn't got much willy waving involved, I wonder how many 'spotters' have pulled birds using their impressive log book of engine numbers.

dave

#46 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 07:11:08 pm
Quote from: "BoulderHog"
It seems understandable to me that a boulderer might not know the meaning of the term onsight, which is basically a sport/trad concept with no place in the bouldering world

stop it, my ribs are falling out.

the thing which concerns me about the potential quality of the "new" problem is the fact that theres a line of jugs a foot round the arete which you don't use, and the fact your left hand is virtually on a rock when you pull on (judging by the photos. This to me sets the "shite problem" alarm bells ringing. You'll forgive me if it turns out to be amazing but i'm not holding my breath. You never know i may try it next time i'm there and am bored, but only if theres no-one watching to take the piss.

I'm also a little confused about the logic of naming and claiming the first ascent of something that, and i quote the ascentionist, has "probably has been climbed before". Makes the person seem like they just wanna get their name in lights/on paper or something (even if that's genuinley not the intention), especially compared to all the other people who climb unlisted problems, eliminates and combinations all over that block every week but have enough sense not to go claiming everything. hopefully this "kid" as you say will learn from this episode and take a more reasoned approach in future, this sparing us and himself from all these harsh words and harsh eliminates.

peace and fucking.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#47 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 07:15:01 pm
the guidebook is not definitive, ru points out that it's not supposed to be. i for one am not annoyed that someone claims a prob. my opinion that the problem is wank is my own (and consequently anyone with eyes). if i go there on sat i will prob see numerous people trying it. however i would point out that this is on a boulder with 2 of the best traverses n one of the best dyno's in the peak. i put easy in quotation marks to show that it wasn't easy just easier than something "hard". this in no way saying that 7b+ is easy, at least it's not meant too. people have seen the photo's and think it looks good and is a quality line. i have done it n don't. my cock is so big i can't really call it a willy

a dense loner

• forum hero
#48 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 05, 2006, 07:35:55 pm
ps i didn't see dave's reply, i was replying from page 3, dave has put it quite nicely. have you thought of running for orafice dave?

irish si

• menacing presence
#49 Humpin' @ Curbar
January 06, 2006, 12:19:03 am
dont be silly dave, no need to leave, its just  a fundamental mistake...

there is a lot of banter on this sight, and 99 % of it is good humoured and chilled.... (that 1 % is for heason.net)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal