UKBouldering.com

Is our stuff famous? (Read 5465 times)

StuM

• regular
    • stuart mcneil photography
Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 03:49:15 pm
I was thinking about this the other day in a moment of boredom.

Everyone here knows loads of iconic problems all over the world, things like Mandala, Dreamtime and obviously loads of stuff in font that might not be so hard.

But is anything on these fair isles as well known internationaly as these?

Do Swiss folk see pictures of any British problems and instantly recognise them?

Is it all the weathers fault ("It'll probably rain if we go to Britain so no point going") so nobody actually comes here or is it cause we're a quiet bunch compared to our European and American and don't shout about it enough?

And if these foreigners do know about some of our problems, what is the most famous?

conn

#1 Re: Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 03:57:00 pm
Fair few people from all over who I've chatted to have heard of deliverance and brad pit (especially germans because of the sitter).   Not so many have heard of hubble but then i probably don't meet the right people.  Americans seem fairly clued up on the grit because of the stuff lisa rands has done.

Toad

• regular
#2 Re: Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 04:06:16 pm
There was an article about some American girl (can't remember who) in Friction (can't remember which issue) who came over and was stoked to get on and complete Brad Pit. Will post more accurate info when I find the magazine…

Does this count as “famous”?

Toad

• regular
#3 Re: Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 04:07:22 pm
Damn you Conn and your fast fingered typing. Beat me to it  :-[

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#4 Re: Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 04:12:25 pm
I visited the States recently with work and spent some time climbing / bouldering around California and Nevada. On a few occasions when talking to locals there I got into conversations about the grit, so it does seem to be fairly well known. The REI store I visited in CA had a few copies of Hard Grit for sale, so maybe this is why? Or maybe it's just the Internet making the world a smaller place?

Funnily, I went for a dump whilst at the Red Rock climbing gym and came face to face with a large poster of CJD gurning on Lou Ferrino. Hello Chris :-)

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 04:45:37 pm
I'd wager Brad Pitt is instantly recognisable to virtually anyone. Also Superman to those who have seen One Summer. Beyond that, not so many come to my mind.

I think it's the videos that sear problems into people's memory, and there just haven't been that many Brit bouldering vids. Hard Grit is THE memorable video, but I can't say I recall many boulder problems from it.

Dr T

• forum hero
#6 Re: Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 08:05:41 pm
There was an article about some American girl (can't remember who) in Friction (can't remember which issue) who came over and was stoked to get on and complete Brad Pit. Will post more accurate info when I find the magazine…

think you'll find the girl in question was Robyn Puro.......

Dr T

• forum hero
#7 Re: Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 09:13:05 pm
If memory serves a French dude flashed Brad Pit on one of the petzl rock trip videos and they get pretty widely seen
 :off: should be in bouldering vids but.....
have a look at http://en.petzl.com/petzl/frontoffice/Sport/static/Video/index.jsp

dom

• addict
#8 Re: Is our stuff famous?
August 31, 2006, 11:13:41 pm
Most people here know about the trad climbs from Hard Grit, but aren't so clued up on the bouldering.  I was talking to a dude about peak bouldering and he said "isn't there a problem called Tom Cruise or something?"  ... em i think you mean Brad Pit :-[

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 08:21:18 am

I think it's the videos that sear problems into people's memory, and there just haven't been that many Brit bouldering vids. Hard Grit is THE memorable video, but I can't say I recall many boulder problems from it.

Is "Stick It" not well known outside the UK?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 08:32:48 am
I was wondering why Blunk mentions One Summer so often.  It's very poor indeed.  Stick it walks all over it.  It's better than Rampage.   Ooo-ooH!  Says you!

Toad

• regular
#11 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 11:27:25 am
think you'll find the girl in question was Robyn Puro.......

Thank you  :)

From issue 5 she says:
"I was definately psyched to get on Brad Pit before I came out. It was the one problem that always came up in conversation when people heard that we were coming over...   ...but I think the best part of it all was that moment on the first day when I knew without a doubt that I could do it. It is a very, very cool line."

Well, there you have it!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#12 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 11:49:16 am
yes, your stuff is very famous.
at least for me.

having seen one summer, the real thing, stick it, stonelove, splinter, blood sweat and bagels 100 times each, i think i know a little bit. thats why i always dream more about climbing in the peak than in font.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#13 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 02:19:41 pm
I'd have thought that Deliverance has got to be up there too, shirley?

Seen it in plenty of johnny foreigner climbing mags...

Dr T

• forum hero
#14 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 02:39:46 pm
No comment has Much Mayr doing deliverence so I guess the europeans will know it....
do they watch as many DVDs as we do or is the british weather resposible for our square eyes????

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#15 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 03:42:05 pm
Remember reading some yankee guys article in Rock and Ice about the top 5 climbing vids ever and he ranked Hard Grit at number 1 saying "We all know Brits are mental but this tops it big time" ... or something along those lines! You've also got to remember that there's a HUGE trad scene in the states, i'm certain every man and his dog over there has seen Hard Grit.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#16 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 04:27:29 pm
A bit off topic... but I once asked two young american climbers in Tuolumne about which UK waddage they had heard of. Whilst names like Moffat and Moon were only faintly familiar to them (and they had seen Hard Grit) the Brit who really commanded their respect was Andy Kirkpatrick.   Seemed that his scarey epic solo ascent of an a5 aid route on El Cap had given him a bit of a profile as one of our brightest and best... they seemed a little surprised that he wasn't a household-name back home (!).

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 01, 2006, 07:24:57 pm
I was wondering why Blunk mentions One Summer so often.  It's very poor indeed.  Stick it walks all over it.  It's better than Rampage.   Ooo-ooH!  Says you!
Is "Stick It" not well known outside the UK?

I mention One Summer all the time because it's the first bouldering vid I ever saw and I still really like it. I have all the other vids too but with the exception of Hard Grit they didn't impress me as much. Call me weird, my wife does!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#18 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 07, 2006, 07:24:02 pm
I love One Summer. Boring in parts, but IT WAS THE FIRST BOULDERING VIDEO by miles. I used to watch it in the morning while eating my toast before an epic days work when I was in my 3rd year at college. Of course you wouldn't recommend it if somebody was looking for their first bouldering video, but it is awesome. "oh, a black fly on a rainy day"

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#19 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 07, 2006, 07:50:43 pm
I'd wager Brad Pitt is instantly recognisable to virtually anyone. Also Superman to those who have seen One Summer

Superman isn't recognisable even when your at the crag. Even people who've been there loads still stand there asking where it goes. The only iconic thing about that crag was the ladder.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#20 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 08, 2006, 10:12:57 am
tis true. how dare people slag off one summer! it's the blue riband of bouldering vids

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#21 Re: Is our stuff famous?
September 08, 2006, 03:32:11 pm
Seconded. I wouldn't have the sound-quality/sketchy edits/just plain wrong edits/off camber camera work any other way. Let's bring back primitive hi-8 cameras.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal