UKBouldering.com

qui êtes-vous ? (Read 15573 times)

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 10:24:21 am
Right you lot. I climb 8a, but who the fuck are you? Lots of people post on this site with witty and interesting nicknames, like "saltbeef", and "moo", which is very mysterious and makes us look like a funky little club. I like it. But I'm also a nosey little bastard and have a sneaking suspicion that behind the nicknames some of you might be people I've met, or at least burnt off once. This makes me feel a bit uncomfortable; I don't want to be slagging someone off on a friday only to find they're arranging my pads on a saturday.

So i thought it might be nice if I found out who everyone really was; like a proper, google-able name, perhaps a picture and a brief description of your favourite things.

To kick things off: I'm Stuart, like it says on the tin. I climb mostly in the peak district with my friend Rupert. I like chocolate, but not cheese. I have an over-inflated sense of adequacy. Please don't ignore this thread. I'll feel shunned.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 10:36:29 am
:lol:

I'm not sure how many people will be owning up to this one - even I only know who about half of them are and I have access to signup information, etc.

For the record, I don't think I've ever met you Stu, but I have met Ru. I think my real name is somewhere in the photo gallery, and probably findable by using domain information that's publically available.

Googling my name actually brings up way more information for a classic motorbike racer of the same name...not that you'd be googling for any of my climbing achievments anyway!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 10:47:27 am
I'm some no mark scouser who doesn't climb hard and most people who know me know I'm fatneck. But I have thoroughly enjoyed working out who's who over the last couple of years. Pseudonyms like C.J.D. and Pantontino are easy, others are easy if you've met the person, like ferret. But there are still a few mystery strong folk to be outed I'm sure.

Discovered who Dense was recently, although it's obvious if you think about it... :roll:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 10:49:37 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
Googling my name actually brings up way more information for a classic motorbike racer of the same name...

Wierd... my alter-ego also races bikes.. well a superbike racer actually.

Stu - I use a pseudonym so I can't get googled at work as I like a bit privacy.

That said, I have met you once or twice.  Gav Ellis' stag-do was one..

Doylo

• forum hero
#4 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 11:00:08 am
I'm chris, i like limestone traverses and my main role on this site is to downgrade problems i haven't done  :)

BenF

• forum hero
#5 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 11:19:24 am
Not quite sure why I'm replying to this thread, I guess I'd hate to think that Stu would feel shunned by a lack of responses to an interesting thread that appeals to my inate sense of wondering who everyone actually is.  His sense of adequacy might be compromised.

This is all sounding like an AA meeting isn't it?  Maybe NA would be more appropriate given that NYE has just passed but here we go:

My name's Ben, my surname begins with an F.  I live in Liverpool and climb mostly in the Peak, Yorkshire and North Wales.  Nobody on this site will know who I am (with a couple of exceptions) and I don't climb hard, just too often.  I like mantels into slopey, green scoops above bad landings.

PS:  Fatneck, nobody I know calls you Fatneck.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#6 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 11:35:18 am
saltbeef isn't actually my name. its one of my knicknames for my girlfriend. my name is james. you already know me stu. i like campusing and hanging out with my delightful girlfriend. I also like gin,beer, wine, electronica and studying medicine(yes I'm a geek).I climb mostly at the tor, the wall in sheff or peak grit, and every hols i can i like to get away to foreign climes to crank. oh and i'm quite nice don't hate me!

Stubbs

#7 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 11:37:51 am
Tim Stubley - climber of little note, usually found at almscliff. I've met Bonjoy at the cliff and at Kilnsey a few times, and Panto at Caley, but i think that's about it for UKB peeps.  

I think it's fair enough if people want to stay anonymous for privacy reasons, but i think it's a bit weak to not identify yourself when slagging people off.

Consider my two penneth added  :wink:

BenF

• forum hero
#8 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 11:54:51 am
Quote from: "Stubbs"
I think it's fair enough if people want to stay anonymous for privacy reasons, but i think it's a bit weak to not identify yourself when slagging people off.

Spot on, although to be honest there's rarely much slagging off on this site.  That's why I like it, it's almost always light-hearted, fair and most posters have salient and interesting things to say.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#9 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 11:58:15 am
Ben, I think most people know I post on here as fatneck which is what I meant! Anyway I haven't anything salient oir interesting to say so I'll see you at the wall... :D

Bungle.

• player
#10 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 12:36:33 pm
Stu i post as bungle ( a nickname i cant escape ) my real name is James Perry.

Mainly spend my time when not in London bouldering in the peak and Yorkshire , In my past lives i have worked for DR , Int Cops , Routeset for for the IBL's ext ext .

Main interests include Climbing, Drinking , Snowboarding , and eating

Ive met you around quite a Lot over the years and am about to retire to OZ via South America so if anyone knows anything about good south american bouldering and could let me know that would be great .

James

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 01:12:10 pm
There's a rumour going round that I'm gay which is completely without foundation. There's also a rumour that I stalk dense, but I only stalk people who are really strong. Along with r-man, my youthful enthusiasm is wasted on the quarries and I can't get out anywhere else anyway.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#12 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 01:31:25 pm
ive already posted pics (and video!!!) of my easy-target-for-pr0no-ethnic-jokes face, and i met huf and other pullers in magic wood last july.
ive been in da peak a few times, last one was october 2004. bliss.
im sure ive met some others of you boys.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#13 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 02:04:41 pm
Quote from: "andi_e"
Along with r-man, my youthful enthusiasm is wasted on the quarries and I can't get out anywhere else anyway.

Wasted/Quarantined...  :lol:

Anyway, I'm moving to Sheffield tomorrow. The quarries and their esoteric riches will remain dear to my heart, and the projects will have to wait for another day (cos I'm pretty sure no one else is interested). Most galling of all, I managed all but the final move on Right Hand Hank and time has run out... However, I'm pretty certain my grit-based thrutchsome frolics of the coming months will drown out any sorrows...

So anyway, some of you may know me from such movies as The Day the Earth Stood Still and the critically acclaimed sequel, The Day The Earth Stood Stiller. Yes, that was me in the lead role. A more convincing portrayal of the Earth has never been witnessed on screen.

I know Andi_e, occasional posters Jonny Raymen and MB, and I've met clm and Graeme once. I can confirm they are all different people. Andi_e is perhaps the most different.  :wink:  Actually, I'm pretty sure I've bumped into a few of you before around the peak and probably in magic woods in August, but only worked it out later.

Outside UKb I make surprisingly few lists. I'm unemployed/freelance at the moment, and if anyone has any work for a writer, I'd be grateful... If not, you may see me behind a bar in sheffield in the near future...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#14 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 02:07:27 pm
I'll stick with my name Fiend.

I'm a trad climber really, but come on here because the clientelle (SP?) are a lot less irritating than those on UKClimbing.

I like: single pitch crags, quarries, esoterica, hidden gems, interesting rock formations, and routes which are bold but safe.

I dislike: suffering from bad psychology, sweaty skin, and the lack of self-awareness and though amongst some climbers.

UKB ticks:

Stu - saw you in Outside once, moaning about Inertial Reel Traverse.
Ru  - saw campusing down the Foundry.
nik - climbed with in Denham quarry and met on the hobbling foot Plantation day.
fatneck - met at Cratcliffe.
BenF - met and spotted at Cratcliffe.
Scouse - met down the Matrix now there's a surprise.
Kim - climbed with at Filey Brigg before he became a Beardown G I think.
Dense - went to font with.
Jim - went to font with and met at Eagle Tor.
clm - met in Egerton quarry on a clean-up meet.
squeek - climbed with in Anglezarke and at Slipstones.
unclesomebody - saw at Burbage South, see below.
james - passed up toothbrush when he was checking Equilibrium on abseil.
Bonjoy - met at the Edge (lack of antennae confused me the first time).
grimer - met in his earlier days in Auchinstarry Quarry and stole one of his Irish friends to climb with.
SA Chris - met at Almscliff and climbed with up near Aberdeen.
hongkongstuey - stopped over with in HongKong for a cool guided tour.
Johnny Brown - saw at Stanage when he was soloing Goliath's Groove in trainers, facing outwards.
cofe - saw when he was pissing himself witnessing the above.
sloper - seconded up and HVS traverse at stanage after he scared a n00bie shitless on it.
Huffy - went round and collected a copy of Consumed.

Errmmm, that's quite a few actually. And a disproportionate number were in Lancashire quarries or other esoterica  :wink:

Also, UKB people I've had beef with on UKC:

dave
unclesomebody
james
FH
maybe Paz?
...think that's all?

nik at work

• forum hero
#15 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 02:26:01 pm
I am Nik Jennings.

I am however not at work, as I don't have a job.

Quite a few of my friends know me as Keeg (which is the name I post under on RT).

I have met you in passing a few times Stu although you probably don't know who I am so I will not be offended if you don't remember. Most recently was probably a couple of years ago when I hobbled past you at the plantation having knackered my ankle falling off the business boulder.

I am largely inconsequential in the climbing world, and really don't climb often enough to justify the label climber.

But next season I'll be back (or maybe the one ofter that)...

Scouse D

• forum hero
#16 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 02:39:20 pm
I'm Dave Norton. I'm from Birmingham.
I saw you yesterday at Burbage north.I was wearing cofe's boots.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 03:09:50 pm
I'm Ru. My full name is known only to a specially selected and vetted "inner circle" of initiatees.

And to anyone that's seen my book, Peak District Bouldering by Rupert Davies.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#18 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 03:13:16 pm
<---

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#19 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 03:56:25 pm
I'm Spartacus.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#20 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 04:45:18 pm
My signature pretty much tells the story.  I'm a tall, thin, shambling figure who haunts the Durham University Chemistry Department.  You may have stumbled across me at various Yorkshire grit / "county" crags (or Sunderland Wall): my Martin Keown-esque features furrowed in contemplation of a crossword as I try to pace my efforts on whichever V6ish problem I am blighting.  

Special Powers: bad sequence invention, complaining about the cold, and malt-loaf consumption.

I think I have met a few of the ukb regulars in the flesh though I don't believe I've ever properly introduced myself.  Is this thread a supporting case for some potentially ice-breaking ukbouldering t-shirts? Perhaps I should wear antlers whilst out-and-about? Or maybe just stop being so bloody rude?!

Anyway, I once chatted to someone I'm fairly sure was Squeek on a baltic day under the Calf.  We both struggled with the cold and some very slippery V5 eliminates before he went on to Almscliff.  Later on Ru turned up with a posse and did a hideous looking V11ish traverse (Pikkatu Challenge?); impressing me both with his ability to invert his pelvis whilst laying away from holds that appeared painted on (I suspect helium was involved) and with his rather nice hat.  

Also met the beardown bunch and Jordan Buys filming some grit action at Widdop last spring - vaguely recall chatting with dave (I think) about the greatness of Kyloe-in.  

Have also climbed briefly with Sloper at Slipstones (there had been some kind of "picnic" at Brimham).  We spotted one another on Ripper before making our mutual excuses for giving-up and him deciding to regale us with font anecdotes whilst our finger-tips clotted.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#21 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 04:50:28 pm
I'm as inconsequential in real life as I am on here, although I have actually climbed with you down Cheedale once.

I'm interested in this thread because I am stalker of famous climbers but I'm also interested to see if anyone climbs as badly as me. Unfortunately it would seem not, so I shall go over to Rocktalk where I can be condecending to people without feeling embarassed.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#22 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 05:00:54 pm
My real name is instantly unrecognisable. I started using Palomides as a name I didn't mind losing in the world of chaos that was the old planetfear forum. It's apposite for a number of reasons that only I know, care about or find faintly amusing.

You don't know me Stu, although I think I beat you in a BUSA comp once, and I once gave you a toprope on Big Greeny.

I also don't know any of the UKB/UKC glitterati, although I was staying in the Sella refugio at the same time as Pantontino and his gf - and the crazy man with the cactus wine and the gun.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#23 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 05:06:59 pm
Hurray! This is better than I'd hoped. I feel like I know you all so much better. Nik I do remember you. The first time we met was at the edge I think, where we were introduced by a third angry dwarf, or mike lea, I don't remember which.

Unfortunately there are a few people who have posted clinging to anonymity, whilst darkly hinting that they know me. Now I respect the right to privacy as much as the next, but it does mean you'll miss out on wedding invites...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#24 qui êtes-vous ?
January 03, 2006, 05:12:37 pm
i always perform quite well at weddings that are not mine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal