UKBouldering.com

Squamish (Read 63638 times)

chappers

• forum hero
Squamish
December 16, 2005, 02:10:41 pm
dave and other pimps who have been........

when be the best time to hit Squamish up?

aug too hot???

dave

#1 Re: Squamish
December 16, 2005, 02:47:00 pm
we were there in june and it was warm and wet, often very sweaty in the forest especially after rain - however the temp would have been fine if it was dry. was a comfortable temperature on the apron though for doing routes cos its got more wind, but i assume you are bouldering. I would assume august is very hot, but then again it may be the best place to go if you have to go in august - just don't expect your skin to last forever. some of the north wall areas are supposed to be more shady (and got better landings) which may be more suitable. If you can get hold of the squamish bouldering guide it will tell you the beta - i've got a copy but its at home, will try and look at it later. I seem to remember it saying kinda september/october was the best time, drier than spring but not too cold.

In summary, i expect august in squamish is better than a kick in the teeth, but i expect a month or so later would be better. try posting on boldering.com (at your peril).

Even if you're just thinking of bouldering if you can fit in rope and rack the routes there look amazing and a shame to miss out on totally. Even if you can only fit in a rope a harness, a few of quickdraws and a few nuts then you can do like a classic .8 slab route like banana peel or the diedre or summert. believe me its worth it. we did banana peel it was excellent. the grand wall looks ill, squamish butress after a route on the apron would be an amazing long day out. ditto for angels crest. make sure you at least walk to the top of the cheif.

ferret

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Squamish
December 16, 2005, 05:56:04 pm
was there aug 15 thru til end of sept. very smeggy in aug (ask irish si, we had daily fits about it) towards end of sept was excellent tho. wud recommend mid sept thru to mid oct, but the later you are the more chance you take with the rain.

chappers

• forum hero
#3 Re: Squamish
December 16, 2005, 07:31:42 pm
thanks guys,
im applying for the ole working visa so there is potental to be there for a while, its just i may have to take the option of saving my lille white ass off then going for one month then it will probs be just aug (poss back by september to become a student again :lol: )

hay ho like you say dave better than a kick in the teeth.

did either of you travel elsewhere in canada?

AndyR

• forum hero
#4 Re: Squamish
December 16, 2005, 07:40:05 pm
Hey chappers - I'm moving to the 'couve in February - send me a pm and I'll let you know what the score is re conditions and bouldering etc - I bought the guide when I was out there a couple of months ago, and it looks like there's plenty to go at.....

chappers

• forum hero
#5 Re: Squamish
December 17, 2005, 01:59:18 pm
sweet cheers andy. will do.
this visa application is more complicated than it sounds............

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#6 Re: Squamish
April 03, 2006, 12:56:40 pm
I might end up being in Vancouver sometime in May, so obviously a trip to Squamish is on the cards. Firstly, where can I meet some randoms to climb with as I'll be by myself. Secondly, what are the classic problems? Are there any decent websites with info and graded lists... I just want to see the big numbers to be honest  :lol:

ta

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#7 Re: Squamish
May 04, 2006, 11:13:09 am
So I think I might head to squamish tomorrow. Where is the best place to stay that's near the rocks. Someone mentioned this place;

http://www.squamishhostel.com/

Any other tips on accomodation?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#8 Re: Squamish
May 04, 2006, 12:06:31 pm
So I think I might head to squamish tomorrow. Where is the best place to stay that's near the rocks. Someone mentioned this place;

http://www.squamishhostel.com/

Any other tips on accomodation?

Thats where we stayed last Sept. Well nice for a hostel. Mostly smallish private rooms, some with bathrooms, tvs, etc. Big clean kitchen/dining area. Internet access etc etc. Its across the main road from town, about a 10min walk from the main supermarkets/gear shop/starbucks. It's not far along the road to the Chief, takes about 5 min driving, didn't walk it but I guess 10-15 min. Busy road though, not fun to walk.

The only accomodation right below the Chief is the campsite. Basic facilities (eg. bad toliets  >:() and no shops.

dave

#9 Re: Squamish
May 04, 2006, 11:16:03 pm
the hostel is basically THE place to stay. it really is cheap as fuck, and decent. When we went last year our 5 nights there cost about the same as one night in a hotel in vancouver. Be warned the woody was out of anction indefinetly when we went - bit of a pisser as it was my fallback idea for the wack weather. best place to eat and drink is the howe sound pub at the other end of town. http://www.howesound.com/

Phil D

#10 Re: Squamish
May 08, 2006, 07:44:38 pm
Was there last week, weather hit and miss at the moment, raining on and off..

If Squamish wet you can head to numerous other localities for rock in BC.

Bouldering outside of Squamish can be found in the Hope Valley, close to Hope, Nicola Lake off highway 5a just outside of Merrit, Scuittio Lake outside of kamloops (currently developing these boulders)..

Crags too numerous to mention but a good place to head would be Skaha near Penticton.  Check out www.rockclimbing.com for more BC rock, loads of established places and loads to be established.

Squamish also has a good bouldering guide, I'll see if I can get you the isbn #, but most stores in in Vancouver and the area will carry the guide, its the same lay out as the Rockfax's back home, think it retails at $30..

Need anymore info let us know, cheers Phil D..

AndyR

• forum hero
#11 Re: Squamish
May 08, 2006, 07:48:20 pm
Hey Phil - where's the stuff near Hope? Have seen it mentioned a few times, but haven't found any details.
Nice and sunny in Vancouver today, with a good breeze - should be good up at Squamish!

Phil D

#12 Re: Squamish
May 08, 2006, 07:58:56 pm
Hey Andy, will get you some directions, not bouldered there myself but climb with a lad who visits regulary and raves about it, he's a sound lad and cranks hard so trust his judgement...Looking forward to getting down there myself and checking it out  :)

I'm just heading out to Nicola Lake for the afternoon, close to Merrit, great place, lots of developing still to do.

Will get back to you re the Hope boulders directions, Cheers mate  ;D

AndyR

• forum hero
#13 Re: Squamish
May 08, 2006, 09:19:47 pm
Nice one Phil - cheers for that.
Am hoping to get out towards your neck of the woods in the summer - might drop you a line to see if I can get a tour - I'm fat and weak at the moment, so your projects are safe  ;D

Phil D

#14 Re: Squamish
May 08, 2006, 11:57:13 pm
Sounds good mate, just let us know when you're heading this way.

Just got back from boulders at Scuittio Lake  (gave Nicola Lake boulders a miss), just added five new lines on the top tier, V0 to V4 stuff, nice lines..Plenty more to go at!

Going to be back home on the grit for most of June but will be around after that.

Later mate  :)

"Climb like ya drink"

runt

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Squamish
June 26, 2006, 09:15:36 am
Any other recommended bouledring spots in BC? other than the obvious squamish, and these new spots nicola lake, and scuittio lake?
cheers

AndyR

• forum hero
#16 Re: Squamish
June 26, 2006, 04:40:14 pm
I'm only just starting to find out myself.
Went to the boulders at Pemberton last weekend -  some great gneiss with flat sandy landings - well worth combining with Squamish. There's also quite a few other venues between Squamish and Whistler, like Chek, but I haven't been to these yet.

Other than that, I know there's quite a lot of stuff around Hope, but buggered if I can get any decent details.
There's a new venue on the Island near Tofino as well.

Starting to get the impression that there's a lifetimes worth of stuff a bit higher up as well, in the sub-alpine areas, but zero details available.

runt

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Squamish
June 26, 2006, 11:47:53 pm
Cheers Andy
Good bit of info, d'you mind posting any knowledge if/when you get to these new spots? be handy to check back on here while I'm away.

Thanks
Andy

AndyR

• forum hero
#18 Re: Squamish
June 27, 2006, 01:52:30 am
Cheers Andy
Good bit of info, d'you mind posting any knowledge if/when you get to these new spots? be handy to check back on here while I'm away.

Thanks
Andy
Yep - no problem.
I'm on the island in early August for hols, so will go and check out the area near Tofino, as that's where we're staying.

runt

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Squamish
June 29, 2006, 02:01:40 pm
Cool, have a good trip, maybe see you on the island after we finish in squam!

AndyR

• forum hero
#20 Re: Squamish
June 30, 2006, 08:35:46 pm
Will do - cheers.
If you're in squamish in July, then I may bump into you - am trying to get up there for a few hours most weekends.
Look for a greying punter falling repeatedly.....

runt

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Squamish
July 03, 2006, 07:57:19 pm
Right ho, will be there with rob for a fair bit of July I hope, failing and trying not to miss the stingy sized pod!

bob

• player
#22 Re: Squamish
July 07, 2006, 10:15:56 pm
 :great:

runt

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Squamish
October 29, 2006, 12:19:06 am
Some of the holiday snaps

runt

• obsessive maniac