UKBouldering.com

fight for your right to partion (Read 12267 times)

dave

#50 fight for your right to partion
December 23, 2005, 04:31:22 pm
coming in your ears.

just installed my copy of zonealarm on the box with the new stable Xp with SP2 on, and upon running Za it went into this endless restarting loop again. This is exactly what it did before when i had XP on with ZA then ran the sp2 install. It seems to me that there is some conflict between my copy of ZA and sp2. I booted into safe mode, uninstalled ZA and the machine runs fine again. my copy of ZA is a couple of year previous to sp2, maybe i need a more up to date copy of ZA.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#51 fight for your right to partion
December 23, 2005, 05:10:44 pm
What power supply does it have Dave? Also was the system stable when you bought it? Windows can be quite fussy with memory too...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom

dave

#53 fight for your right to partion
December 23, 2005, 05:32:48 pm
am now using norton tinterweb flava. see PM jim.

anyone any idea if Za on my laptop would be stopping my new box being able to see and map a drive on the laoptop? have set up a workgroup on both machines and set the C drive on laptop to share, but although the new box can see the machine, it won't go down to drive level.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#54 fight for your right to partion
December 23, 2005, 08:39:15 pm
I've had that problem before and what gruff is suggesting is along the right lines - you need to add it to your trusted zone - to be honest, I also found Norton Internet Security better than ZA, but now I just rely on my router's firewall, and a couple spyware detection programs.

The router firewall seems to work a treat.

dave

#55 fight for your right to partion
December 23, 2005, 11:27:12 pm
Quote from: "gruff"
That's if you're set up with static IPs.

which i ain't.

as far as i understand the router get the IP as dished out by my ISP, and the machines sit behind that. not exaclty sure how i would add one machine to ZA's trusted zone as yet.

you are right though bubbmaster, could probably just fuck ZA off totally.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#56 fight for your right to partion
December 24, 2005, 12:01:48 am
Your router will get the ISP's WAN (Public) IP address, and then your individual PCs in your network will be differentiated by addresses in the LAN (Private) IP ranges, typically 192.168.0.x or 10.0.0.x

Hit the windows start button...then run...then "cmd"...then "ipconfig" to establish which machine is allocated which IP.

On my router you can force an IP to a certain MAC address which is handy; otherwise your router may allocate the IPs on a first come first served basis...which if you've only got 2 machines isn't the end of the world.

Anyway; using ZA...on the machine you need to access, just add the LAN IP of the other machine into the trusted zone or whatever it's called *

* This advice comes with no warranty - I usually just fuck about with network settings until something works ;)

dave

#57 fight for your right to partion
December 27, 2005, 09:43:18 pm
yo bubbs that seems to have worked - got my laptop mapping the data drive on new box, and got the box seeing the C drive on the laptop.

The only problem is that when accessing the laptop C drive from the new box it allows access to some folders and stuff like Shared Documents, but comes up with an Access Denied message for users'ducs and program files folder etc. This is depite the whole drive being set as shared.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#58 fight for your right to partion
December 28, 2005, 05:19:37 pm
Have you checked the permissions for those individual folders? I'm guessing that even if you've set the whole drive as shared, a folder permission might override that or something?

dave

#59 fight for your right to partion
December 28, 2005, 06:49:21 pm
aye, had thought of that - from what i could find it all looked OK, even set say my docs up as a specific shared folder on its own (i.e. from the new box could map it seperately as a drive) but still won't give access - i'll have another look though, theres probably something set somewhere against the user accounts or some shit.

p.s. its even the same when i set the security level for Za trusted zone to low/firewall off.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal