UKBouldering.com

Roswell repeat... (Read 4840 times)

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 09:20:04 am
Sorry - I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but if I don't report it, who will!  Got back from Switzerland a couple of weeks ago, and apart from falling of the last move of everything, I managed to top out on the Dave Graham test piece, Roswell 8a+.  Despite only being two moves long to top out, its pretty thin holds wise, so I was well pleased to tick this 3rd go before breakfast, which, by the way, was horrible, unless your keen on 2 plain boiled eggs that have been in the back of the car for a week.

Greg C

• forum hero
#1 Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 10:06:00 am
Despite only being two moves long to top out

Two moves Chris! You been working on your stamina  :wink:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 11:08:03 am
Glad to hear about the breakfast info  :wink:

BenF

• forum hero
#3 Re: Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 12:15:25 pm
Quote from: "c.j.d."
unless your keen on 2 plain boiled eggs that have been in the back of the car for a week.

Good effort with the climbing, but more importantly well done with the breakfast.  Although I require a little clarification; had the eggs been boiled before sitting in the car for a week or were they boiled post-automobile?  Either way, a good send.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#4 Re: Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 12:18:17 pm
breakfast, which, by the way, was horrible, unless your keen on 2 plain boiled eggs that have been in the back of the car for a week.

actually, if you had covered them in clay and kept them for another 93 days or so then you might have been able to flog them to a chinese gourmet..

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#5 Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 01:26:33 pm
Glad to see there good interest in the eggs there guys.  To clarify things for you Ben, they were uncooked in the car,  and actually smelt a little bit on the wrong side when peeled.  To further blow my own trumpet, on the same trip, I found out that the random 8b I did a couple of years ago (Bloc 10, Raindogs sector, Chironico) was actually a second ascent of a Bernd Zangerl problem that he had, at that time, recentley ascended.  I was hanging out with a couple of swiss guys that week, who had a fair bit of cash, so it was a Full English that day. :lol:

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#6 Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 01:39:43 pm
Chris, you oughta be careful with all that blowing, you'll get a crick in yer neck.

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 01:39:45 pm
boiled eggs :shock: .  i thought you were a chef,could'nt you have turned them in to a mushroom/truffle omlette using erbs and mushies found in the woods.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#8 Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 01:43:58 pm
I once asked Chris what the secret of good food was and he said immediately: "top quality ingredients - get that right and you can't go wrong."

So, if all you've got is a couple of mouldy old green eggs, they'll still taste like shite, whatever you do to them, even if your name is Gordon 'fucking' Ramsay.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 02:24:04 pm
Unless you doused them liberally with curry powder before making an omlette. It's what curry was first used for anyway.

andy_e

• forum hero
#10 Roswell repeat...
December 05, 2005, 09:00:38 pm
were you ill afterwards? sounds heavy. congrats on the send... not really blowing your own wang, more like willy waving...

BenF

• forum hero
#11 Roswell repeat...
December 06, 2005, 08:15:15 am
Glad to see there good interest in the eggs there guys.  To clarify things for you Ben, they were uncooked in the car,  and actually smelt a little bit on the wrong side when peeled.

Thanks for that; the egg update is very much appreciated.  I may in fact be heading over that way myself next year so any beta is useful indeed, particularly regarding automobile boot storage of poultry products and subsequent cooking and eating techniques.

Do you have any other top tips for my planned trip to Switzerland?  What about toast soldiers?  Any suggestions on how to cut them accurately or maybe a timescale for leaving sliced bread in the car prior to manufacture into soldiers?  Maybe you have other delicious mouldy food tips?

As before, any beta is good beta. :lol:

blockhead

• player
#12 Roswell repeat...
December 07, 2005, 12:54:58 pm
Not sure soldiers are a great idea for switzerland, since they have adopted a neutral stance on most military matters. Prehaps you should try toast triangles or perhaps something with cheese?

BenF

• forum hero
#13 Roswell repeat...
December 07, 2005, 03:23:12 pm
True, thanks for the advice Blockhead, I wouldn't want to start some kind of toast wars.  Early 20th century assasinations in the Balkans would pale into insignificance in comparison with me bringing a boot load of toast soldiers illegally into Switzerland.  Questions would certainly be asked in the commons.

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Roswell repeat...
December 07, 2005, 03:25:51 pm
it might be ok to eat toast soldiers in swizerland but only on a tuesday but not after 8.00pm.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Roswell repeat...
December 07, 2005, 04:18:38 pm
Quote from: "blockhead"
Prehaps you should try toast triangles or perhaps something with cheese?

Toast triangles may be difficult to achieve using a baguette, for example. All depends which part of Switzerland you are in and what the prevalent bread format is in the region.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#16 Roswell repeat...
December 07, 2005, 04:27:12 pm
Quote from: "SA Chris"
Quote from: "blockhead"
Prehaps you should try toast triangles or perhaps something with cheese?

Toast triangles may be difficult to achieve using a baguette, for example. All depends which part of Switzerland you are in and what the prevalent bread format is in the region.

how about a tribute to the Swiss founding father of the Red Cross contructed from baguettes dipped in Strawberry jam (the staple diet of my easter trip to font thanks to Formule1's all-you-can-eat breakfast).

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#17 Roswell repeat...
December 08, 2005, 04:57:32 pm
Not sure about the soldiers, or, in fact, foreign bread at all.  It only ever lasts for about 5 minutes before it goes stale.  A good 'extremly minimal washing up for a week' tip though.

You need one pan, a large butty box (tupperware is preferable, although not essential) and a fork.  Some tins of tuna, pasta, jar of pesto or similar, coffee and eggs.  

Basically, cook the pasta, bang it in the butty box with tuna and pesto    
 (maybe some cheese?), apply lid and shake - tastes great.  When finished rinse out with a bit of water.  The next morning, use the same pan for your coffee, and then boill your eggs, and rinse the pan afterwards,

Repeat for several days.  You may need soap after this (just once) and then repeat.  Winner.

Hope this helps Ben.  You can also replace the coffee with tea, just for variation.

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Roswell repeat...
December 09, 2005, 08:02:48 am
where is it that you work.i must go there for a meal sometime,just the place for that special occasion. :wink:

blockhead

• player
#19 Roswell repeat...
December 09, 2005, 10:17:09 am
If its bread you're after the only true calorie free way forward is ryvita.

However dont waste money on this expensive pile of crap... You need a lage butty box (tupperware is preferable, although not essential). Leave a loaf on the parcelshelf of your car for about 2 weeks preferably in hot sun (you may need to prepare this in advance if your only on a short trip). Place said bread in butty box add sawdust, sand (preferable collected from cuvier - its more garlicky), bits of bark and optional sheep poo. Apply lid and shake - tastes shit. However can be fashioned into all sorts of interesting shapes including 3 dimensional soldiers.

Enjoy.

BenF

• forum hero
#20 Roswell repeat...
December 09, 2005, 12:56:26 pm
Not sure about the soldiers, or, in fact, foreign bread at all.  It only ever lasts for about 5 minutes before it goes stale.  A good 'extremly minimal washing up for a week' tip though.

You need one pan, a large butty box (tupperware is preferable, although not essential) and a fork.  Some tins of tuna, pasta, jar of pesto or similar, coffee and eggs.  

Basically, cook the pasta, bang it in the butty box with tuna and pesto    
 (maybe some cheese?), apply lid and shake - tastes great.  When finished rinse out with a bit of water.  The next morning, use the same pan for your coffee, and then boill your eggs, and rinse the pan afterwards,

Repeat for several days.  You may need soap after this (just once) and then repeat.  Winner.

Hope this helps Ben.  You can also replace the coffee with tea, just for variation.

Wow, feckin' hell what a recipe and top tip.  You must have too much time on your hands.  Thanks for that.  

Only one problem, I don't actually like eggs that much.  Can Llanberis's answer to Jamie Oliver suggest any replacement ingredients?  I was thinking along the lines of Toffos or Rolos.  Or maybe satsumas?  Or even pine cones?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal