UKBouldering.com

Antihydral (Read 6850 times)

LongMonkey

• player
Antihydral
January 17, 2006, 10:53:19 am
I recently ordered a tube of Antihydral out of curiosity after reading a thread on here. Apart from the advice read on here of applying only once a week what about how much to apply and when? It does come with instructions but they're all in German (I think!). I figured on around a 5p-sized dollop but can you put it on just before you climb or should it be an hour or so before? Anyone tried it before? How effective is it?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Antihydral
January 17, 2006, 11:09:38 am
the jury is alway's out on elixirs. basically put a small amount on each finger n rub other fingers in. don't go over the fold where finger bends. johnny put's it on on the way to the crag, tho most people put it on when in bed. either way it take's about 10 mins to dry. skin does become like leather after a bit

BoulderHog

• addict
#2 Antihydral
January 17, 2006, 11:13:30 am
A large pea sized blob should be enough, get a nice even thick layer over each pad, but avoid any skin creases at the joints, or else you'll be asking for a split. Leave it for 45 minutes, wash it off. You won't notice much until about two days later.

I don't reckon you should use this stuff more than twice a week though. I don't bother with it much these days, not much use for grit, especially winter grit, but still good for indoors.

I've heard some people leave it on overnight, but not sure this adds anything over the 45 minutes - god help you if you rub your eye in the night. It would be interesting to hear exactly what amputees do with it . . .

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Antihydral
January 17, 2006, 11:21:04 am
Use it only as a short term fix for thin skin, not as a way to build up thick skin long term (or that Alum alternated with Climb on is much more effective.)

ie you should only be using it for concentrated sessions on abrasive rocks - a trip to font or the mid feb grit high pressure season.

It doesn't rub in like other creams and if you apply it thick enough to be effective it takes ages to dry out. So put it on for as long as you can be bothered to sit around not touching anything. Sticking it on for an hour before climbing seems to work, for more serious applications sit around the gite with a beer for a couple of hours before yo homies cook the dinner. Like dense ses, just put it on tips don't cover the joints. It dries out what skin you have left making it last a bit longer, but it doesn't speed up the growth of proper skin. Overdo it and expect huge hideous flappers.

dave

#4 Antihydral
January 17, 2006, 06:42:01 pm
only thing i can add  to JB's flava is that i find its goot to apply on/in split tips (i.e. like actual splits, mini-canyons, not just where its worn through) as it dries the whole lot out and then makes its easier to sand the whole split away. you can often get a moderate split to dissappear entirley in 48hours if you do this and plenny sandying.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Antihydral
January 17, 2006, 07:59:27 pm
Quote from: "dave"
only thing i can add  to JB's flava is that i find its goot to apply on/in split tips (i.e. like actual splits, mini-canyons, not just where its worn through) as it dries the whole lot out and then makes its easier to sand the whole split away. you can often get a moderate split to dissappear entirley in 48hours if you do this and plenny sandying.

Fighting fire with fire. I can see how it might work... That stuffs not for me though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Antihydral
January 17, 2006, 09:30:30 pm
I've had the most benefits applying a little bit the night before. When I apply it before climbing (e.g. driving to the crag) I actually sweat through the stuff  :?  :evil: .

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Antihydral
January 17, 2006, 09:57:43 pm
There's no set rules with this stuff, it depends on how dry your skin is to start with. Some people are just going to split, but I never had any problems even using it all over my hands 3 times a week.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal