UKBouldering.com

ReDiscovered Burbage (Read 3723 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
ReDiscovered Burbage
April 12, 2003, 08:36:28 pm
what a quality day out - its been wall to wall sunshine over Sheffield and the Peak district this saturday (12/4), and I walked a bit further into the burbage valley armed with a print out of the new problems from this site. Having never walked down further than submergence in 8 years of living in sheffield I was made up to discover the Sphinx and all the problems in that neck of the woods.

The sphinx is such a moreish, commiting problem - I didn't do it (jams have never been a strong point) but I had a good time trying. Good Effort to Ian Fitz for putting up Giza - there are no holds though! dunno what you're supposed to do ??? The terrace is nails as well and whilst I could do all the moves on Jasons undercling it'd be a challenge to combine them.

Quality - go again to burbage, but make the effort to walk a bit further - you probably do already and i'm a lazy shite!  :wink:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 12, 2003, 08:38:23 pm
I could do all the moves on Jasons undercling it'd be a challenge to combine them.

I mean Jason's roof.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 14, 2003, 12:09:35 pm
Yeah, some good stuff down that way and also be sure to check out the far left hand end of Burbage South which also has some hidden gems.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 14, 2003, 07:19:39 pm
Heres a piccie of Strong Jamie going for it on the Sphinx:-

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 14, 2003, 10:53:16 pm
(bubba applies photoshop:)

update! (davidS applies even more photoshop - cheers for that Dave)

Giza looks well 'ard don't it?

dave

#5 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 08:53:16 am
I love that extra bit of burbage. I've spent hours week after week at that terrace/jason's area, its brilliant. I wanna do every problem there eventually.

Keep trying with Jason's its worth the effort.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#6 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 09:04:06 am
Yeah it does look good. Question, from the undercut keel up to the edge is a stretch but ok, then I was slapping my left out to the little arete thing and trying to almost jump my foot onto the bottom of the shield thing - is this right? are there any tricks I'm missing?

The terrace is very good too. I'm gonna get back on that at the weekend I think...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#7 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 09:05:52 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
(bubba applies photoshop:)

What do you have to do Bubba, to sort out piccies? like that i mean?

Quote from: "Bubba"
Giza looks well 'ard

And then some! has anyone done it?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 09:08:48 am
Quote from: "dobbin"
What do you have to do Bubba, to sort out piccies? like that i mean?

Could probably do a much better job by just working on areas rather than the whole pic but that was done in PS7, but just using the "adjust brightness/contrast" and "hue / saturation" sub-menus from the image menu.  Just mess about with the sliders until you get results. The clever way to do it would be to seperate the sunlit background and adjust that seperately.

update! David S used the "magic wand" tool to isolate the bright background and adjust that seperately. Ah, the wonders of photoshop!

dave

#9 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 09:11:06 am
Quote from: "dobbin"
Yeah it does look good. Question, from the undercut keel up to the edge is a stretch but ok, then I was slapping my left out to the little arete thing and trying to almost jump my foot onto the bottom of the shield thing - is this right? are there any tricks I'm missing?

Yeah thats how i did it, get RH on edge/pinch, LH on arete (theres 2 good bits, the lower on has a useful pebble-finger-catch), then jump outwards to get LF on the lip of the shield, then you've got just the finishing move of the "B9". Bear in mind i fell off this move from the start about 30 times last year before doing it.

I think in the brief clip on stick it jerry matched the LH hold and then does summert else, but that seems a shit sequence to me....

nik at work

• forum hero
#10 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 09:19:58 am
Is giza the direct from the start of the spinx? Hands on a pretty shit seam/break. Put foot up next to hands and do a big rock up for the top? Need good technique and lots of mad bendy leg action.
Yup thats quite hard.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 09:21:43 am
Quote from: "nik at work"
Is giza the direct from the start of the spinx?

That's the one - you done it?

nik at work

• forum hero
#12 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 09:44:12 am
Many moons ago...(i.e. over 2 years ago)
I think I was flailing horribly on the sphinx so tried Giza instead.
Aren't the hand holds really shit? Seem to remember it was very tenuous and lots of knuckle scrapping falls was 'enjoyed' before success.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 ReDiscovered Burbage
April 15, 2003, 09:46:54 am
Quote from: "nik at work"
Aren't the hand holds really shit?

Well they look appalling, but I didn't even bother trying to use them !!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal