UKBouldering.com

best band that is broad (Read 4510 times)

cofe

• forum hero
best band that is broad
November 28, 2005, 11:30:01 am
ladies.

what is best broadband to get? i.e. cheapest. been told bulldog is good and looks to be about £20 a month at the mo for 8mb pipe and phone line too.

does bt blow? etc. ta.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 best band that is broad
November 28, 2005, 11:45:21 am
I like Nildram - BT's customer service is notoriously shite, and you might not get bulldog's 8mb, I can't.

check out http://adslguide.org.uk for lotsa info.

dave

#2 best band that is broad
November 28, 2005, 11:56:29 am
word our house already had a telewest cable going into the cellar so we got telewest broadband. can't remember how much it is a month, also can't remember what connection it is - started off as 1/2 meg, then got free upgraded to 3/4meg, then free upgrade to 1meg, don't know what is is now. dunno how it compares to ADSL but it is very reliable, in the 1.5-2 years we've had it only been unable to connect to internet once and that was a few weesk ago when all of yorkshire went down. Have never had to use customer services really so can't comment on the usual complaint of telewest having wack customer services.

when we had it put in this guy turned up and installed everything and got the whole thing up and running.  A collegue had thme do her broadband recently though and said they turned up wired the cable through to the cable modem and just fucked off leaving her the installing CD for her to do it herself which then took her an entire day off work to sort out, which sucks a bit. Might just depend on the installer you get though.

my feeling is if your crib is already hooked up on cable (or theres cable on your road) its makes sense to look at that as a first option.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 best band that is broad
November 28, 2005, 12:50:45 pm
My bro rates Bulldog, but hes down in the smoke so can get it easily. I've used local boys www.plus.net for a while and have been impressed.

Like Bubba says check ADSLguide, use their compare page http://adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp to see how speed, reliability and cus service compares. When I signed up Plusnet always beat the biguns (BT, Don'tWannaDoo, etc) on all three. One thing to note is that Don'tWannaDoo is about to be rebranded Orange (as in the phones) and might have some deals on shortly.

Have no personal experience of cable, I think it makes sense if your in the market for pay-tv too. Personally I'd stick with FreeView which justs keeps getting better.

dave

#4 best band that is broad
November 28, 2005, 12:53:45 pm
word i'd just like to claify that we ain't got cable telly or phone, just tinternet. the fact that the cable was already in meant we didn't get stung the £whatever charge for installing the cable, which was nice.

cofe

• forum hero
#5 best band that is broad
November 30, 2005, 12:53:55 pm
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/products/goactive/index.asp

is 1 gig download restrictive - i.e. will we fly through that? otherwise that plus phone seems a cheap package. won't be downloading loads of music or films.

is single user ADSL usb modem what we need - cos its free.

JR

• forum abuser
#6 best band that is broad
November 30, 2005, 12:58:41 pm
Quote from: "cofe"
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/products/goactive/index.asp

is 1 gig download restrictive - i.e. will we fly through that? otherwise that plus phone seems a cheap package. won't be downloading loads of music or films.

is single user ADSL usb modem what we need - cos its free.

it is very restrictive yes, thats only 1.5 films or about 200 tracks.  How much is loads of music and films?  Me and the ginger bitch used to get through about 20-30gb a month i reckon.

single user modem is fine, u only have one computer word dont you.

dave

#7 best band that is broad
November 30, 2005, 01:06:27 pm
if you're not downloading full DVD rips or load sof albums then its not going to be restrictive at all. even if you only download music thats still going to be like 15 albums a month, i.e. one every other day. can you even think of that many albums you might want to listen to, and more importantly have time to listen to? i suggest not. I'me sure most of the people who i've spoken to who download loads and loasd of film and music admit to never or hardly ever watching/listening to most of the stuff they download. you simply download stuff "because its there". i download fuck all music really and i still don't even listen to 95% of it on even a semi regular basis.

cofe

• forum hero
#8 best band that is broad
November 30, 2005, 01:06:37 pm
i ain't gonna be downloading loads of films and blue movies like you guys though, and the small premuim on top of that works out cheaper than mopst others.

got to order today - that's the problem.

any other knowledge?

squeek

• junky
#9 best band that is broad
November 30, 2005, 02:16:20 pm
Quote from: "dave"
if you're not downloading full DVD rips or load sof albums then its not going to be restrictive at all. even if you only download music thats still going to be like 15 albums a month

15 albums a month, and nothing else.  Every web page you go to is bandwidth, if you browse image galleries with large photos you can use quite a bit of bandwidth.  If you download programs off the internet you can use quite a lot of bandwidth up, there's lots of freeware and open source ones.  Windows updates, program updates, emails and they're attachments, videos off web sites.  If you watched some videos off yorkshiregrit, freak climbing, etc you might use 100MB up in a couple of hours.  I can easily use 1 gig a month with legitimate internet browsing without resorting to downloading any illegal films or songs.

If you're just going to browse the internet a little and check your emails then you might get away with it.  Don't expect to be able to download 15 albums and do anything else wihtout going over your limit.  Check the details, if you're going to be charged £10 for going over your limit and you do it twice in a year, then it's false economy and you should get a deal with more bandwidth.  ukonline were doing a good deal for 9.99 if you local loop's unbundled, the web site will have more details.

cofe

• forum hero
#10 best band that is broad
November 30, 2005, 04:26:50 pm
cheers squeek. it is more likely to be occasional usage. i sit on the internet all day at work so i can look at stuff then and i'll usually have had enough by the time i get home.

ordeover-caffeinated sugary drink companydog anyway. still seemed best value after trawling through em. so we'll see...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#11 best band that is broad
November 30, 2005, 04:37:09 pm
What ever you decide on put Tiscali out of the picture.  I've had so many problems with them its untrue.  Last time I spoke to customer service they hung up on me twice as I wanted to speak to a manager :evil:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal