UKBouldering.com

Stoners clogging up the crags... (Read 25028 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 09:30:49 am
Am I getting older and more reactionary these days or does anyone else get pissed off with people toking the weed whilst at the crag?? The last two weekends I've had the misfortune to be climbing amongs groups of dreadlocked trustafarian stoners who seemed to be constantly skinning up and smoking spliffs... (and not getting up very much)

I'm not bothered about people getting stoned like but the smell is pretty offensive in contrast to the nice crisp fresh air..

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 09:42:38 am
i usually dont smoke while bouldering, pretty much because it affects my performance, i have to say. feeling dizzy and stoned dont go together, in my case, with the concentration i need to climb.

i dont mind that much if others smoke, but it depends alot on their attitude: with plenty of room around i often dont get why they have to puff just near you, without even asking if youre bothered. if it seems that aside of getting stoned in ones life theres not much, i feel uncomfy with it.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 09:56:01 am
I don't see how something so natural can be offensive? It is out in the fresh air and not likely to affect your personal performance? Most of the guys I climb with don't smoke whilst climbing but I do and find it helps me focus more. If someone were offended and asked me to, I would stop and I won't smoke it if there's kids about. Generally speaking I still don't see how someone smoking weed at the crag is that bothersome really...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 09:59:47 am
winners don't do drugs, don't spend it all on crystal meth

JR

• forum abuser
#4 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 10:57:37 am
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
winners don't do drugs, don't spend it all on crystal meth

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:01:19 am
Falling Down, photographed yesterday ;)

To be honest, I'm more offended by the smell of tailor-made cigarettes - a truly foul smell. I don't mind the smell of weed at all, but would never smoke at the crag personally.

dave

#6 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:15:04 am
the amount of smoking at the crags don't really bother me, but the byproduct does - i.e. loads of people just sat around chilling and eating all day making the place look untidy. I believe this is known as "getting down with nature". Theres a time and a place for that kind of thing, and burbage it aint. Less chillin' more illin' i say. You can chill and eat all you want at home. :wink:

JR

• forum abuser
#7 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:23:21 am
Quote from: "dave"
the amount of smoking at the crags don't really bother me, but the byproduct does - i.e. loads of people just sat around chilling and eating all day making the place look untidy. I believe this is known as "getting down with nature". Theres a time and a place for that kind of thing, and burbage it aint. Less chillin' more illin' i say. You can chill and eat all you want at home. :wink:

...and you quite often go to the crag with the person the smokes and chills more than the marleys!?!

ill and not in a good way...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#8 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:26:38 am
Quote from: "fatneck"
I don't see how something so natural can be offensive?

you have clearly never tasted cod liver oil...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:34:13 am
Or smelt fatboyslimfast's fart wind.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#10 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:37:15 am
Granted... :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#11 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:37:50 am
I quite like it...

...cod liver oil tablets, that is, not anyone's fart wind, well except my own of course...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#12 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:44:36 am
Quote from: "Yossarian"
Quote from: "fatneck"
I don't see how something so natural can be offensive?

you have clearly never tasted cod liver oil...

cocaine's natural too... don't get any ideas about doing lines on my holds!  

it's not what's being smoked that tends to piss me off - more the obstructive attitude that big groups of semi-conscious stoners sometimes have.  Loitering under a problem for hours without actually doing anything other than the odd unsteady bit of brushing - bouldering equivalent of a mass top-roping session really.  All too often accompanied by a self-righteous "if you disapprove it's because you're an uptight nazi".

DScuffle

• addict
#13 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:49:06 am
Quote from: "moose"
All too often accompanied by a self-righteous "if you disapprove it's because you're an uptight nazi".

You assume they even notice that your there.  I am sure it's not intentional, and if you asked them if you could have a go, they probably wouldn't be arsed to argue :lol:

DScuffle

• addict
#14 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:55:32 am
Quote from: "moose"

cocaine's natural too... don't get any ideas about doing lines on my holds!  

Would this constitute a donkey line.  I suppose it would not only point out the holds, but give you the energy required to do the move at the same time.  It sounds like a good idea to me :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 11:59:24 am
To be honest I find a group of braying keen types far more annoying than a group of stoners chilling. Actually, groups of screaming kids are fucking annoying too.

Who was there first? If I'd been working a problem and a bunch of people turned up and started blowing their puff my way then I might have a problem with it, but if I come along and they're already there then it's my problem and my choice to stay or go.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#16 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 12:07:36 pm
yeah i'm not psyched for it. again your trying fucking hard to climb something, ad then some deadbeat stands too foot away from you and you get a lugfull of cancer. winner. not conducive to trying hard. fact weed is more carcinogenic than tobacco you self righteous stoner twat, and also the cause of a large propn of psychosis. and you can't climb.

DScuffle

• addict
#17 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 12:11:04 pm
Quote from: "saltbeef"
yeah i'm not psyched for it. again your trying fucking hard to climb something, ad then some deadbeat stands too foot away from you and you get a lugfull of cancer. winner. not conducive to trying hard. fact weed is more carcinogenic than tobacco you self righteous stoner twat, and also the cause of a large propn of psychosis. and you can't climb.

Tell that to Sharma :roll:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 12:15:58 pm
then some deadbeat stands too foot away from you and you get a lugfull of cancer. winner. not conducive to trying hard.

Yeah, that's very annoying, but it's the same of any smokers innit?

fact weed is more carcinogenic than tobacco you self righteous stoner twat, and also the cause of a large propn of psychosis. and you can't climb.

not fact at all. the jury is still out.

why are you labelling stoners self-righteous? And yeah, go talk to Sharma :lol:

andy_e

• forum hero
#19 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 12:26:19 pm
don't usually have a problem with people smoking at the crag, except this one guy who did everything with a fag in his gob, and his baby under the crag, developing lung cancer from an early age... that's stupid.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#20 Re: Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 12:34:12 pm
Quote from: "Falling Down"
Am I getting older and more reactionary these days or does anyone else get pissed off with people toking the weed whilst at the crag??

Do you think so Ben? I thought surfer dudes were a bit more tolerant :shock:  It's something I have been guilty of in the past, and as such I never really have a problem with it now. As long as no butt ends are left lying around ands long as they arent getting in the way of anyone, or causing nuisance, there are things I find much more offensive at the crag, like tobacco.

I'm having doubts about getting you snowboarding now. Just dont go to Winter Park; at the last count there were well over a dozen smoking huts scattered throughout the resort. The secondary base there isn't called Mary Jane for nothing.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#21 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 12:36:22 pm
you self righteous stoner twat

Now now...

Loitering under a problem for hours without actually doing anything other than the odd unsteady bit of brushing

This is not how I climb, I go out with dedicated climbers who climb hard and I've never (to my knowledge) offended anyone or got in anyones way.

Granted there are the odd tossers out there, but isn't that the case in any situation/sport?

webbo

• forum hero
#22 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 12:40:28 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"

fact weed is more carcinogenic than tobacco you self righteous stoner twat, and also the cause of a large propn of psychosis. and you can't climb.

not fact at all. the jury is still out.

speak to anyone who works in psychiatry and you'll get a diffrent opinion.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#23 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 12:46:07 pm
Quote from: "webbo"
speak to anyone who works in psychiatry and you'll get a diffrent opinion.

Yeah, but that's their opinion, not *fact*.

Find me some definitive research that proves that cannabis causes psychosis. ....you'll have a tough job.

There is evidence that it may aggravate existing mental disorders, but none that proves it actually causes them.

webbo

• forum hero
#24 Stoners clogging up the crags...
November 21, 2005, 01:03:01 pm
yep your right there is no concrete proof but for a lot of people it is the trigger for a life time of mental illness.but there is always the possiblity that some other stressor may also have triggered it.
its your hands or even in your lungs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal