UKBouldering.com

north devon bouldering (Read 9812 times)

hootchi

north devon bouldering
December 01, 2005, 12:03:13 am
hi everybody

i am fairly new to bouldering and climbing but i am coming home from university to north devon, bideford bay area and was wondering if there were any bouldering areas near me?

i know about dartmoor but thats a bit far for often trips

i can climb F6a at the wall at uni as a guide but not sure what that translates into in boudlering terms?

many thanks for your help in advance :8)

cheers

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 north devon bouldering
December 01, 2005, 10:27:26 am
upton has some good stuff, as has hartland quay and the trench, these are on the coast between bude and clovelly. check out javu, maybe.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 north devon bouldering
December 01, 2005, 11:19:30 am
Quote from: "andi_e"
upton has some good stuff, as has hartland quay and the trench, these are on the coast between bude and clovelly. check out javu, maybe.

Did you just read the posts in the above links and repeat the info? :?

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 north devon bouldering
December 02, 2005, 09:23:49 am
Quote from: "SA Chris"
Quote from: "andi_e"

Did you just read the posts in the above links and repeat the info? :?

no, i read my mind and didn't visit the links

DScuffle

• addict
#5 north devon bouldering
December 02, 2005, 11:42:52 am
When I go down to North Devon I stay at Woolacombe.  This makes all the established areas a dick to get too as you have to drive all the way inland to get across the estuary, when I can see Hartland point out the window :twisted:   The bouldering at Putsborough is extremely limited (scraping the barrel in fact, not worth bothering unless your their anyway).  

I always drive by a quarry which has been disused for as long as I've known it (20 odd years) on the backroad from Barnstaple to Ilfracombe (near Muddiford).  I always intend to go and check it out, and to find out who owns it, but never get around to it.  There's got to be loads of mini craglets like this about waiting to be discovered.  I might go on a mission now that I am an unemployed bum.

Have any other N Devon residents ever checked it out?

DScuffle

• addict
#7 north devon bouldering
December 08, 2005, 08:26:03 pm
OOh, that's a new one on me.  What's with the access issues?

The one I was talking about is here

http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=254500&y=140500&z=3&sv=little+silver&st=3&tl=Little+Silver,+Devon+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

I have just been told by my old man that they are opening it up for recycling???!!?  There are diggers in there at the moment.  I don't know about the quality of the rock as I have only driven past it, but it might be worth a look if anyone is local.  If not I'll check it out over christmas.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 north devon bouldering
December 09, 2005, 08:15:44 am
Quote from: "DScuffle"
OOh, that's a new one on me.  What's with the access issues?

Don't know the lowdown, but it gets a mention in the back of the North Devon and Dartmoor guide. Guess the usual landowner crap, but contact Bendy on Javu, he should know more if you are interested. Looks pretty good actually, but has grass cornices. Must be the most obscure E8 in the country there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal