UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1139734 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3625 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 12, 2021, 09:46:51 am
I very much agree with one of the two opinions posted just above.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#3626 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 12, 2021, 09:52:37 am
I very much agree with one of the two opinions posted just above.
0/3 stars?

Duma

• forum hero
#3627 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 16, 2021, 07:38:27 pm
Sure this has been on here before, but I do love Arnaud Petit:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3628 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 16, 2021, 09:24:26 pm
Sad robot!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3629 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 18, 2021, 09:35:09 pm
I think I get why the Norwegian route on the Troll Wall rarely gets done

Ged

• junky
#3630 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 18, 2021, 09:44:51 pm
The troll wall vid is great. Looks utterly harrowing!

andy_e

• forum hero
#3631 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 01:55:10 pm
Half climbing film, half life story; the climbing is gorgeous hard techy trad, and the life story is important.

I've got a bunch of trans and non-binary friends, so this one means a lot to me (also, check the content warnings because it deals with some hard stuff).

Watched this last night. It's not light entertainment but it is essential viewing. Having a common passion is a great way to learn about other people, and when you can't live an experience for yourself, understand people through their lived experiences. It's both light-hearted in its approach to the climbing and open and honest (and shocking in places, see slab_'s content warning!) in its approach to their life story.

seankenny

• forum hero
#3632 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 02:12:40 pm
Half climbing film, half life story; the climbing is gorgeous hard techy trad, and the life story is important.

I've got a bunch of trans and non-binary friends, so this one means a lot to me (also, check the content warnings because it deals with some hard stuff).

Watched this last night. It's not light entertainment but it is essential viewing. Having a common passion is a great way to learn about other people, and when you can't live an experience for yourself, understand people through their lived experiences. It's both light-hearted in its approach to the climbing and open and honest (and shocking in places, see slab_'s content warning!) in its approach to their life story.

I watched this on the weekend and enjoyed it. Philosophically/politically my views are "gender-critical" and I often find the way the trans rights movement works deeply disturbing, so for someone of my views it's even more important to watch a film like this. Plus the climbing footage is really good and I enjoyed the total lack of macho bullshit.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#3633 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 03:45:06 pm
I watched this on the weekend and enjoyed it. Philosophically/politically my views are "gender-critical" and I often find the way the trans rights movement works deeply disturbing, so for someone of my views it's even more important to watch a film like this. Plus the climbing footage is really good and I enjoyed the total lack of macho bullshit.

Very curious about what (if any) effect the film had on your gender critical views?

seankenny

• forum hero
#3634 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 04:14:12 pm

Very curious about what (if any) effect the film had on your gender critical views?

Well, none, I mean I hold those views for a reason and the film didn't touch on those at all. But certainly good to hear the stories of trans people and get an insight into their lives, whatever you think about the political aspects of the trans issue.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#3635 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 05:05:26 pm
good to hear the stories of trans people and get an insight into their lives, whatever you think about the political aspects of the trans issue.

It certainly is! I hope that hearing the stories of more trans people and gaining an insight into their lives eventually persuades you that it might be more helpful to frame trans rights as a social issue rather than a  political or
philosophical one :)

seankenny

• forum hero
#3636 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 05:29:57 pm
good to hear the stories of trans people and get an insight into their lives, whatever you think about the political aspects of the trans issue.

It certainly is! I hope that hearing the stories of more trans people and gaining an insight into their lives eventually persuades you that it might be more helpful to frame trans rights as a social issue rather than a  political or
philosophical one :)

Well, the question of what rights we have and how we claim those rights is always political and philosophical! But whilst we will have to agree to disagree, I definitely liked the film.

One thing that did annoy me about it tho - and this has nothing at all to do with the trans aspect of the film at all - is the sheer bloody Protestant earnestness about climbing that seeps into so many films these days, particularly American ones. Jeez, all this crap about learning experiences and self improvment and all that, it's so worthy.

abarro81

• forum hero
#3637 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 05:34:58 pm
Yeah, very American. I prefer the simple "I went rock climbing and it was fuckin' awesome" narrative myself...

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3638 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 06:37:39 pm
They’re crap. The best ones are tinged with madness.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3639 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 07:06:04 pm
I always feel American climbing films are played in very broad strokes- out-and-out comedy sections making way (very obviously, often with comically dramatic music) to earnestly serious bits and not much that fits in the vast area inbetween.

I have watched They/ Them yet though as it’s so long! I’m so used to sitting down to watch what I expect to be an hour long meaty climbing film only to find it’s about 20 minutes  long and the actual climbing footage is an afterthought (Girls Gone Wide higher up this thread is a good example- I really wanted to like that as the people in it seem really nice but there’s just so little decent climbing in it!) that it’s a surprise to come across one that’s 100+ minutes.

remus

• forum hero
#3640 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 07:10:58 pm
...it’s a surprise to come across one that’s 100+ minutes.

Maybe worth noting that They/Them is 'only' 60mins. There's a ~30min Q and A afterwards.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3641 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 07:37:16 pm
so little decent climbing

You might want to give the Troll Wall one a wide berth...

Chossfest cliff, but at least it's compensated for by the, errrr, shuffling grass-bashing.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3642 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 19, 2021, 07:48:59 pm
 :lol: Yeah I watched that last night. They really captured the “get spooked by loose rock, stop enjoying yourselves and just try and get off the cliff as soon as possible” vibe.

I meant decent climbing footage but I missed a word out. Either works in the Troll Wall case but I often feel like films have people climbing interesting routes but they’re either filmed from obscure angles/ onscreen for hardly any time at all/ butchered in the edit and as a result it’s frustrating to watch.

Maybe worth noting that They/Them is 'only' 60mins. There's a ~30min Q and A afterwards.

:slap:

slab_happy

• forum hero
#3643 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 20, 2021, 12:59:30 pm
Incidentally, for anyone who wants the nerdy details on the route Lor's working on in the film (as there was a deliberate directorial decision to avoid mention of grades etc.):

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web21w/newswire-lor-sabourin-sends-cousin-of-death

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#3644 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 24, 2021, 10:22:20 pm
For anyone who hasn't seen this from the Wide Boys:

It really is a great wall, and stunning effort. Beautiful view down the arête of Earth Rim Romer/Earth-Sea.

:clap2:  :2thumbsup:

Duncan campbell

• junky
#3645 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
October 27, 2021, 12:41:18 pm

Thought this had some good footage in, especially the go it got done. Looks cool.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#3646 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 04, 2021, 05:09:18 am
found myself a new little crag to bolt the other week - this one was the pick of the bunch (okay, it's not an 'quality chuffing video', but it is an awesome line)

kc

• obsessive maniac
#3647 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 04, 2021, 08:55:34 am
Looks like a lovely spot.
Have fond memories of climbing in HK. Dimple Face was my first proper sport climbing redpoint 26 year ago.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#3648 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 05, 2021, 04:55:48 am
Dimple Face was my first proper sport climbing redpoint 26 year ago.

Probably my fav route in the whole of HK - guessing i've clocked well over 300 trips up it over the years as it'll get a lap or two on most days out on Tung Lung  ;D

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#3649 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 06, 2021, 11:11:22 am

a trip down memory lane for kc  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal