UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1139831 times)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3075 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2020, 05:47:45 pm

I agree some absolute class films have been released lately for free. I'm not rushing to buy the latest Reel Rock 14, for example.

The other sections are pretty weak but I’ve watched The Nose speed record feature a few times already. Happy to support Reel Rock in general due to the overall high quality of what they produce and the serious amount of hours they must put in.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3076 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2020, 06:23:40 pm

I agree some absolute class films have been released lately for free. I'm not rushing to buy the latest Reel Rock 14, for example.

The other sections are pretty weak but I’ve watched The Nose speed record feature a few times already. Happy to support Reel Rock in general due to the overall high quality of what they produce and the serious amount of hours they must put in.

Worth it then?

Doylo

• forum hero
#3077 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2020, 07:12:09 pm
Here is something for people who do not have time for hour-long videos.

Agincourt, uncut video. 3 min 16 s.

Looks nails. Especially when you consider it’s 8c and hes climbed 9b/+. 1989  :punk:

Doylo

• forum hero
#3078 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2020, 07:12:59 pm

Thanks, great to watch. Is there similar footage of older ascents? Be interesting to compare how modern footwear / training / climbing "style" allows it to be climbed.

Moony on it in Buoux 8c.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3079 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2020, 08:19:41 pm

Moony on it in Buoux 8c.

I recently picked up 80s birth of extreme for a fiver at the wall. Keen to stick buoux 8c and the jimmy jewell film online if a) anyone has any suggestions on how to do this (im clueless) and b) its considered kosher from a copyright perspective?

andy popp

• forum hero
#3080 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2020, 08:23:11 pm
If you have the time the Huber brothers film is superb.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3082 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 08:09:42 am
Keen to stick buoux 8c and the jimmy jewell film online if a) anyone has any suggestions on how... its considered kosher from a copyright perspective?

It’s not.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3083 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 08:13:49 am
Fair dos!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3084 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 09:23:22 am

Thanks, great to watch. Is there similar footage of older ascents? Be interesting to compare how modern footwear / training / climbing "style" allows it to be climbed.

Moony on it in Buoux 8c.

I though it was, thanks

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#3085 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 09:38:10 am
Is Buoux 8c available anywhere to buy? I'd love to see it

Doylo

• forum hero
#3086 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 10:11:05 am
Is Buoux 8c available anywhere to buy? I'd love to see it

A quick search suggests no. I reckon 20+ year old films with limited monetary value now should be put online like Real Thing; One Summer, Rampage have (especially when they’re not even available to buy). Obviously it’s at the prerogative of the owner but it’d be a great community service and historical record. What’s the point having the 80s DVD mothballed?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3087 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 11:18:52 am
The 80s - Birth of Extreme (with Buoux 8c) goes for really high prices at pizbube (they have *everything*) and Liberia La Montagna: https://www.mntnfilm.com/en/film/buoux-8c-1989
Very thin market I'd guess....

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3088 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 11:30:07 am
I obviously defer to Cheque as someone with more skin the in copyright game, but otherwise i tend to agree with Doylo. Is Alun Hughes still contactable ? Could ask him if ok to put online?

remus

• forum hero
#3089 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 11:37:15 am
A quick search suggests no. I reckon 20+ year old films with limited monetary value now should be put online like Real Thing; One Summer, Rampage have (especially when they’re not even available to buy). Obviously it’s at the prerogative of the owner but it’d be a great community service and historical record. What’s the point having the 80s DVD mothballed?

:agree: Seems such a shame that it's so hard to watch these older films, some real gems in there.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3090 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2020, 12:08:37 pm
I obviously defer to Cheque as someone with more skin the in copyright game, but otherwise i tend to agree with Doylo. Is Alun Hughes still contactable ? Could ask him if ok to put online?

Copyright’s really simple on this level- as soon as you create something you own the copyright in it (it’s a myth that you need to register copyright although it is always a good idea to have proof that you created something in case someone claims they created it) and only you have say on how it’s distributed. If someone buys a copy they only buy that copy, they don’t buy any of the distribution rights. It’s easy to think of the law as more complicated as the internet makes it much easier to break it and much harder to police.

Where it gets more complicated is when you create something that uses something someone else has created, like making a climbing film that has someone else’s music in it which is what causes the problems in a lot of these cases- the person who made the film needs to come to some sort of deal with the people who made the music before they can distribute it  and it could be that they already made a deal that only covers the film being released on DVD for example.

Getting in touch with the people who made these classic films is a great idea as it could be that there’s nothing stopping them going online at all. I think most of them used to be on the SteepEdge site.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3091 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2020, 09:57:31 am
I was one of the founders and shareholders in SteepEdge with Brian Hall, John Porter, Julie Ann Tait plus Jim Curran as a silent partner.  We were very excited by the project and whilst we never thought it would make a lot of money we thought that it might at least wash its face.  Brian and John had access to this enormous archive of films through Kendal and knew all of the filmmakers around the world.  We started it seriously just before streaming really started to take hold so pivoted quite early to be able to support streaming and downloads, plus 3G mobile had just appeared.  John managed to persuade many of the filmmakers including those mentioned in the thread and the big skiing honchos, several of whom were very sceptical, to join in the project.  It was tough work negotiating the copyrights and persuading people who were selling DVDs at 20 quid a pop to put their films up (not naming any names!).  It was pretty complicated working out the rights, payment terms and tax for an international media distribution business. 

The first year seemed to work OK, not making any money but with a reasonable level of interest and regular downloads.  I was mainly on the tech side and was pushing for a much more active social engagement and events like comps 'n stuff but I had to bow out of any day to day involvement when my marriage imploded and moved to London. 

We had a fantastic catalogue of climbing films including all the ones mentioned in this thread and loads of old climbing and expedition/alpine films that were impossible to see other than at mountain film festivals.  Unfortunately by this time streaming was really taking off and there were so many free films and shorts available that actually paying for something seemed mad and the revenues weren't covering the costs. Jon B and Cofe at Vertebrate got involved as a parallel channel to publishing and did an absolutely brilliant job professionalising it, expanding social reach and marketing.

By this time many films were being funded by the big outdoor firms and being made available for free, partly as a brand/marketing thing but I suspect as much to do with supporting filmmakers.  David Handy of Alpkit stepped in to SteepEdge in this manner until 2016 when it finally shuttered up shop.

I'm really proud of SteepEdge and that we actually managed to pull it off. With hindsight there a loads of things we could have done differently and there was certainly some naiveté and best intentions but ultimately it just wasn't viable.  It was great fun and hard work with lots of disagreements but I'll always be glad that I was involved. 

Anyway, that's my story, I'm sure others involved will tell it differently.  It would be great to have all these films available again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 10:04:47 am by Falling Down »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3092 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2020, 01:08:34 pm
Good background FD. I used steepedge a lot for uni climbing club film nights, it was great. If you happen to have contact details for Alun Hughes please pm me and I will ask him the question about 80s Birth of Extreme; first watched it on SteepEdge.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3093 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2020, 03:48:11 pm
Sent you a PM.  That’s nice to hear that you used it for film nights at Uni. Gives me a warm feeling that we did something positive.

Nike Air

• forum abuser

Ged

• junky
#3095 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 05, 2020, 02:24:11 pm

Worth it then?

For the nose speed bit yes. The bit where they both take a wipper, then sit on top mulling over the madness of it all is absolutely riveting.

And watching honnold charging up the upper section placing a piece every rope length,with Caldwell in hot pursuit. The phrase world class is probably used too often, but that epitomises it I think.

Doylo

• forum hero
#3096 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 05, 2020, 02:35:45 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlOhZM1V5-E&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1rOpPQvkn9q68IuydEVF2ktITpozh0Jz5Tqo6KemZDCkVDXUJOYKTkdsM

This was ace!

Something about seeing Dave Graham in V10s made me happy and nostalgic.

Thanks for posting that  :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Not seen that for Donkeys. Hopefully the old flicks all end up online.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3097 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 05, 2020, 04:37:45 pm

Worth it then?

For the nose speed bit yes. The bit where they both take a wipper, then sit on top mulling over the madness of it all is absolutely riveting.

And watching honnold charging up the upper section placing a piece every rope length,with Caldwell in hot pursuit. The phrase world class is probably used too often, but that epitomises it I think.

:2thumbsup:

andy popp

• forum hero
#3098 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 07, 2020, 07:36:51 am
More from the gnarly check dude. This time he decides a belayer is unnecessary as he attempts the FA of a crumbling pile of  sand.

Duma

• forum hero
#3099 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 08, 2020, 09:02:41 pm
Bmc are doing a live premiere of big bang on their Facebook on Fri 17th 8pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-uxXiLjtsJ/?igshid=1f4uv6v2jkdon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal