UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1149319 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3200 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 11:58:10 am
I loved it too.

And ‘Efdemin’ one of my best of 2019 recs.  8)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#3201 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 12:04:43 pm
Ditto that amazing Donato Dozzy / Anna Caragnano track at the start.

macca7

• addict
#3202 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 12:13:11 pm
I enjoyed it (who doesn't enjoy watching sketchy hard grit ascents) but with the odd exception it doesn't feel like time has moved on from the Consumed era of 20 years ago.

I'd love to see the new 8c/9a generation tackling some obvious challenges rather than going over old ground e.g.

New Statesman ground up? Surely a contender with modern volumes of bouldering mats. Michele Caminati took the ride from pretty much the last point before good gear arrives and walked away (and went back the following week(?) and did it)

Mother of Pearl repeat - has this seen much attention? Has Ben Bransby made progress on it in his quest to tick Stanage?
Absolutely this. I tried to skim through to find something interesting and gave up (twice!). Same old regressive wasting of strength and skill on the same old headpoints with the rigging anchor still in shot of the same old sub-cutting edge classics that have often been onsighted / ground-upped already.

P.S. Chatted with Ben one day at Stanage while his/family's dogs were busy chewing my bouldering brush and running off with my shoe, he's put some effort into MOP but apparently it is really bloody hard and he didn't sound close.

Couldn't we all say the same about almost every climbing video that is posted on YouTube then, including yours?

So from now on no posting any vids unless its cutting edge and breaking new ground....

Please, its just a group of mates having a good time and showing the world what they have been up to. Just a lot closer to the cutting edge than the vast majority of us. As has been said its not out there pretending to be anything its not.

Give people a break. At this moment when we can't get out I'm happy to see as much climbing as i can thanks!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3203 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 12:51:55 pm
I thought it was awesome - watching it a second time was like sitting through that first sequence of Hard Grit waiting for JMTT to fall off and smack his shin.

I've seen the AWD footage about half a dozen times and still flinch when his foot pops.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3204 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 01:17:54 pm

Soul-tingling track, isn't it? Get some headphones on for it.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3205 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 01:26:14 pm
I thought it was good. Fiend's comment about Consumed and SOTN just underlines how good those films are.

Putting this on for the drive out felt like part of the routine for a number of years after I watched Consumed.

mark20

• junky
#3206 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 01:42:19 pm
I used one of those YouTube-to-mp3 sites and burnt the full video soundtrack to CD, complete with loads of wind noise and ”fucking Bon effort” sound effects  :punk:

Enjoyed Jim’s vid. Good to see the sequence on Destructive Tendencies and his new Gardoms route

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3207 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 01:51:17 pm
It's worth posting yours and Neil's Consumed homage again if people are in the mood.

21.55 mins being a personal highlight in lashing

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3208 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 02:03:31 pm
“I dunno who’s more scared here Neil!”

“I can tell you for sure, it’s me.”

:lol:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3209 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 06:31:43 pm
introductory monologues about the profound emotional development engendered by being bought a fuck-off van and not having to work for 5 years

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3210 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 07:27:58 pm
That's quite mental indeed.
Lyrics: "Trascino un pensiero profondo, parola protratta, ritratto, promessa, ritorno protetta."
Roughly: I drag a profound thought, protracted word, portrait, promise, I'm protected again."
There you go.
 :-\

Steve R

• forum abuser
#3211 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 07:46:23 pm
I tried to skim through to find something interesting and gave up (twice!). Same old regressive wasting of strength and skill on the same old headpoints with the rigging anchor still in shot of the same old sub-cutting edge classics that have often been onsighted / ground-upped already.
C'mon, credit where it's due - flashing Na'han (even though he pissed it obvs) isn't regressive and hadn't been done before I don't think.  Plus couple of new routes.  Plus a couple of the cliched headpoint routes in there involved decking out.

petejh

• forum hero
#3212 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 08:00:00 pm
I loved it, top effort for putting it together and making it available. Thought it was as nice mix of wad and non-wads. Non-wads sketching up stuff makes a good contrast to wads seemingly effortlessly cruising up things and reminds you none of the routes are 'easy' or without consequence should you fluff it. Genuine sweaty palms watching a couple of those ascents!

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#3213 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 10:24:22 pm
I enjoyed it, strangely enough in a similar way to how I have enjoyed Fiend's recent films. Just people climbing, sometimes well, sometimes sketching, no bullshit. And that bit on AWD - that was a truly shocking moment. In that split second, regardless of the external logic of the situation, I just thought, fuck, he's dead!

Murph

• forum abuser
#3214 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 01, 2020, 10:06:17 am
Bloody hell fiend! I loved it but I am an easy man to please. My hardest onsight to date is still VS so I find any of this extraterrestrial. Hope Dom was ok - always get a bad feeling when the crap portrait phone footage comes out!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:29:43 am by Murph »

Lopez

• stalker
#3215 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 01, 2020, 10:23:29 am
It's worth posting yours and Neil's Consumed homage again if people are in the mood.

Monopoly looks like such an awesome route  :wub: Damn, if I didn't appreciate staying alive and having use of my legs so much...  :-\

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#3216 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 01, 2020, 12:15:23 pm
I think what makes Fiend's comments so utterly miserable is that if the film showed cutting edge climbing then he'd be in absolute bits about how it was all a big showing off puff piece for the sponsors. For God's sake, man! Decide!

JamieG

• forum hero
#3217 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 01, 2020, 12:52:20 pm
I really think we should stop piling on Fiend. The film didn't work for him, he didn't find it inspiring and expressed that in probably not the most tactful way. But we all have different tastes and many climbing films people love, I don't get. In this case I really enjoyed Jim's film and found it quite nostalgic (as others have mentioned). But maybe it just felt like already well worn ground to Fiend and so he didn't enjoy it. He is entitled to his opinion but I think we should stop the the berating.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#3218 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 01, 2020, 05:06:26 pm
I had never seen either consumed or shock of the new before now.  Watched them after watching Jim's video.  All proper simple climbing videos with some hard, some beautiful, some scary, and some crazy stuff.  Thanks all for sharing those!

More please?   :popcorn:

Doylo

• forum hero
#3219 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 01, 2020, 05:17:48 pm
Just watched the intro to Consumed. Not seen it for about 10 years. Had totally forgot about Dan falling off Unfamiliar and elbowing me in the temple. I could only eat soup for a week after that. Hadn’t forgotten the Knocking belay though  :ohmy: Class those films.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#3220 Re: Quality chuffing videos...0
May 01, 2020, 06:02:30 pm
Sorry, I’ve got confused - who is Nan / Some Shit New Climbers? Because that’s a brilliant little film too...

I had a brief climbing resurgence in the mid 2000s when I’d finally recovered from my calcaneus-crushing sleepclimbing accident, had a small board at home, and had not yet met my wife-to-be. Having previously watched HG to death, that entire period was fuelled by Doylo’s two films, and a copy of Shock of the New that Nik sent me. When I subsequently watched the “professional” films of that era - various Dosages, etc - I found them mostly lacking in comparison.

The only thing missing from Doylo’s oeuvre was a mashup of the two films, detailing a Yosemite big wall ascent with a portaledge mushroom session and competitive, “Who can shit into the poop tube from the furthest away...”

Doylo

• forum hero
#3221 Re: Quality chuffing videos...0
May 01, 2020, 06:17:42 pm
The only thing missing from Doylo’s oeuvre was a mashup of the two films, detailing a Yosemite big wall ascent with a portaledge mushroom session and competitive, “Who can shit into the poop tube from the furthest away...”

I can pencil that in for the WCG 20 year anniversary trip in 4 years.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#3222 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 01, 2020, 06:35:29 pm
I think Fiend's caught some flak because his reasoning seems like nonsense and contrary to what he normally looks for. Personally, I got bored halfway through this new thing, Consumed, SotN, and Some Shit New Climbers. But that's because I've got a child's mind and need a bit of narrative to keep me engaged. That said, I've watched them all in stages and enjoyed them all for what they were.

remus

• forum hero
#3223 Re: Quality chuffing videos...0
May 01, 2020, 06:41:45 pm
Sorry, I’ve got confused - who is Nan / Some Shit New Climbers? Because that’s a brilliant little film too...

Mark Rankine and Neil (can't remember his last name).

Yossarian

• forum hero
#3224 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 01, 2020, 06:43:56 pm
I am struggling coming to terms with your YOB being 1989, and also your getting bored through this “new thing”. You were about 12 when Consumed came out. Surely a techno-themed narrativeless banger was your formative experience, rather than Chris Bonnington struggling to squeeze out the nugget revealing his reasons for travelling to Nepal in 1982..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal