UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1139717 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
#3175 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 04:05:10 pm
Weird to think Jim was a foetus when Hard Grit came out!

I asked Jim on FB about the selection of routes, the history etc. He was kind enough to reply (hope he doesn't mind me quoting him):

"I found out about these routes from watching films like consumed which i guess is why i went to do them. And a lot for the history, meshuga/masters edge for example. I think the routes are still hard. I think with sport and bouldering when things are hard its about strength and fitness, but with these routes the strongest person might never climb them if there not strong in the head. Its a different challenge, and I think they’ll stay hard challenges forever for that reason."

Yes, interesting how radically different his frame of reference is (e.g. Consumed, not Hard Grit). But it's not surprising. Quite a few of the routes in the film are are around 35 years olds. Transpose that to when I started climbing and it means routes first climbed in the early 40s. What frame of reference did I have for understanding those days?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3176 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 04:39:49 pm
Absolutely loved BB&GF. A film about Jim Pope put me off climbing films completely (not just making them but watching them too) and now it seems he’s made one that’s got me psyched again himself.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#3177 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 05:19:42 pm

Michele Caminati took the ride from pretty much the last point before good gear arrives and walked away
Michele was extremely lucky on that occasion (missing the rock by inches) and even more so on Elder Statesman.

Could easily have been like the fall on Weather Report at the end of the shock of the new which is harrowing.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3178 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 05:24:20 pm
Could easily have been like the fall on Weather Report at the end of the shock of the new which is harrowing.

But which the climber, incredibly, walked away from!

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#3179 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 05:26:01 pm

But which the climber, incredibly, walked away from!

That's good to know! You just get the screams and then it cuts  :blink:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3180 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 05:38:27 pm
Confirmed by the man himself here.

I always thought that the sequencing of the film was a masterstroke- you watch them all having fun and getting up the routes of their dreams without a hitch thinking “looks like a right laugh this headpointing business” then get smacked in the face with footage of a guy experiencing major traumatic injuries and writhing around in agony, immediately putting the successes of the preceding 50ish minutes into a new relief. Kind of spoils it when you know that he was OK!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3181 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 06:42:45 pm
I wouldn't fancy many of those falls!

The one off Never Never Land is an absolute classic!

You did that with Stu Bolton IIRC. Think I flashed it on your top rope but no interest in leading it. Gnarly slopers at the top

Bradders

• forum hero
#3182 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 08:27:35 pm
Absolutely loved BB&GF. A film about Jim Pope put me off climbing films completely (not just making them but watching them too) and now it seems he’s made one that’s got me psyched again himself.

Was it Through and Through that put you off? Totally get why if so...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3183 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 08:39:50 pm
On the point about the new crews doing the old routes, I think it's correct to say that Jim is a strong wad but I think the rest might be (relative) punters? (Sorry if they're all wads and I'm mistaken).

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3184 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 08:58:10 pm
On the point about the new crews doing the old routes, I think it's correct to say that Jim is a strong wad but I think the rest might be (relative) punters? (Sorry if they're all wads and I'm mistaken).

Scottish Nic and Pat have done Bat Route and Mecca respectively, but it depends on what defines waddage nowadays. Has Mecca been cusped yet? Had Grimer done it?

grimer

• forum hero
#3185 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 09:23:28 pm
No, I haven't cusped Mecca yet.

andy popp

• forum hero
#3186 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 09:27:19 pm

You bloody shipwreck of a flake, why not?

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#3187 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 09:30:58 pm

Scottish Nic and Pat have done Bat Route and Mecca respectively, but it depends on what defines waddage nowadays. Has Mecca been cusped yet? Had Grimer done it?
Yeah Pat could still be borderline punter though he does do Meshuga in the vid...  :2thumbsup:

grimer

• forum hero
#3188 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 09:41:49 pm
No not cusped me me that's for sure.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3189 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 09:49:04 pm

Growth mindset. Nice.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#3190 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 10:21:37 pm

Yeah Pat could still be borderline punter though he does do Meshuga in the vid...  :2thumbsup:

Definite punter, he’s not even on insta

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3191 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 29, 2020, 11:20:22 pm

Can't speak for Mecca but Bat Route was cusped by Jim not long ago. To be fair it was getting minorly cusped day in and day out before that, but Jim really was the last straw.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3192 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 09:23:33 am
I enjoyed it (who doesn't enjoy watching sketchy hard grit ascents) but with the odd exception it doesn't feel like time has moved on from the Consumed era of 20 years ago.

I'd love to see the new 8c/9a generation tackling some obvious challenges rather than going over old ground e.g.

New Statesman ground up? Surely a contender with modern volumes of bouldering mats. Michele Caminati took the ride from pretty much the last point before good gear arrives and walked away (and went back the following week(?) and did it)

Mother of Pearl repeat - has this seen much attention? Has Ben Bransby made progress on it in his quest to tick Stanage?
Absolutely this. I tried to skim through to find something interesting and gave up (twice!). Same old regressive wasting of strength and skill on the same old headpoints with the rigging anchor still in shot of the same old sub-cutting edge classics that have often been onsighted / ground-upped already.

P.S. Chatted with Ben one day at Stanage while his/family's dogs were busy chewing my bouldering brush and running off with my shoe, he's put some effort into MOP but apparently it is really bloody hard and he didn't sound close.

abarro81

• forum hero
#3193 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 09:32:34 am
And I thought I was old and bitter

Duma

• forum hero
#3194 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 10:06:17 am
You miserable cunt Fiend. It's a bunch of clips of him and his mates climbing. No sponsors, no claim to be cutting edge, who gives a fuck if it doesn't confirm to your narrow view of what's worthy.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3195 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 10:12:15 am
I thought it was good. Fiend's comment about Consumed and SOTN just underlines how good those films are.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3196 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 10:22:13 am
New Statesman ground up? Surely a contender with modern volumes of bouldering mats. Michele Caminati took the ride from pretty much the last point before good gear arrives and walked away (and went back the following week(?) and did it)

He then hurt himself quite badly, which is worth remembering.

Doylo

• forum hero
#3197 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 11:06:13 am
Bit harsh jibing it for not showing  next level ascents. It’s not Reel Rock, just Jim Pope the climber  putting some clips of what him and his pals have been up to together and sticking It on YouTube.  No big claims or film tour (still more entertaining than most ‘pro’ films).

Yossarian

• forum hero
#3198 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 11:50:21 am
I thought it was awesome - watching it a second time was like sitting through that first sequence of Hard Grit waiting for JMTT to fall off and smack his shin.

In a world of overblown Sprünt-esque promotional ads for tropical energy drinks, tedious talking heads, and introductory monologues about the profound emotional development engendered by being bought a fuck-off van and not having to work for 5 years, that vid was tight and tense and pleasingly lo-fi.

And CJ Bolland, obvs...

Whyatt

• menacing presence
#3199 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 30, 2020, 11:57:04 am
Anyone know if there is a copy of hard grit uploaded??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal