UKBouldering.com

Games, games, games (Read 278086 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
#875 Re: Games, games, games
August 25, 2022, 03:56:42 pm
WELLSY rescue me from these Discoheads, how did the rest of Elden Ring Sting go for you??  :devil-smiley:

Genuinely loved it from start to finish. I think it's brilliant. BUT I think Blood Bloodbourne is actually a bit better, in my view it's the real masterpiece. Especially in that the Hunter's Trick Weapons are better even than the cool weapon arts and all that (twin-blade 4 life)

One thing I will say about Elden Ring is I thought it was a little easier than other FS games. Thoughts?

slab_happy

• forum hero
#876 Re: Games, games, games
August 25, 2022, 06:24:07 pm
Really glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was fantastic. I often find I play RPGs in the way closest to the decisions I would actually try to make. I struggle to really 'role play'. Thus when the 'sorry cop' achievement/cop style came up it really made me laugh. Apparently I just went around apologising constantly for what an utter shambles I was. Quite telling. :-)

If I play it again, I think I'll have to go for the super arrogant, disco obsessed, meat head and see what happens. :-)

The game's real hard mode: making decisions that Lt Kitsuragi will silently judge you for.

JamieG

• forum hero
#877 Re: Games, games, games
August 25, 2022, 07:27:35 pm
Really glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was fantastic. I often find I play RPGs in the way closest to the decisions I would actually try to make. I struggle to really 'role play'. Thus when the 'sorry cop' achievement/cop style came up it really made me laugh. Apparently I just went around apologising constantly for what an utter shambles I was. Quite telling. :-)

If I play it again, I think I'll have to go for the super arrogant, disco obsessed, meat head and see what happens. :-)

The game's real hard mode: making decisions that Lt Kitsuragi will silently judge you for.

Tell me about. I was having flashbacks to my Church of Scotland upbringing. The guilt was powerful. 😂

slab_happy

• forum hero
#878 Re: Games, games, games
August 25, 2022, 09:48:29 pm
After some experimentation, I've just started another playthrough on Hardcore Mode because I genuinely think that may be less stressful for me than trying to play too drastically against my own instincts (and the silent judgement of Kim Kitsuragi).

(Yes, I too hit "sorry cop" on my first playthrough.)

Carliios

#879 Re: Games, games, games
August 25, 2022, 10:17:54 pm
After some experimentation, I've just started another playthrough on Hardcore Mode because I genuinely think that may be less stressful for me than trying to play too drastically against my own instincts (and the silent judgement of Kim Kitsuragi).

Ahhh I fully avoided sorry cop! Didn’t want to feel sorry for mysel. Also went tee total  :lol: I feel like he needed a detox

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#880 Re: Games, games, games
August 26, 2022, 07:42:27 pm
Genuinely loved it from start to finish. I think it's brilliant. BUT I think Blood Bloodbourne is actually a bit better, in my view it's the real masterpiece. Especially in that the Hunter's Trick Weapons are better even than the cool weapon arts and all that (twin-blade 4 life)

One thing I will say about Elden Ring is I thought it was a little easier than other FS games. Thoughts?
Yay!! Hours? Level? I know a couple of soulslike fans who also think it's inferior to BB. But I do think ER should be judged as a soulslike-open-world-rpg hybrid.

Yes I think it is easier, simply because you can avoid a lot of bosses in the open world, and use exploring and looting to level up a lot. Suits me fine TBH!

Fiend, you saying you don't want to get bonuses on specific checks by strategically wearing the Flare-Cut Trousers and the Man From Hjelmdall T-shirt?
Do I get bonuses for strategically wearing 3/4 length shorts, compression stockings, and a Devourment vest??

Anyway after the sedate feline charms of Stray, I'm continuing my foray into cyberpunk worlds by getting straight onto the just-out Ascent DLC:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1802470/The_Ascent__Cyber_Heist/

Aka that isometric twin stick shooter RPG-lite game that is so packed with luxurious graphics, stunning detail, and classic cyberpunk atmosphere that your eyes could melt out of their sockets and dribble onto the floor.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#881 Re: Games, games, games
August 26, 2022, 09:01:26 pm
{accidental double-post while trying to edit.}
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 09:11:56 pm by slab_happy »

slab_happy

• forum hero
#882 Re: Games, games, games
August 26, 2022, 09:02:49 pm
Fiend, you saying you don't want to get bonuses on specific checks by strategically wearing the Flare-Cut Trousers and the Man From Hjelmdall T-shirt?
Do I get bonuses for strategically wearing 3/4 length shorts, compression stockings, and a Devourment vest??

That seems exactly like the sort of outfit you can build in DE, and would probably be game-breakingly powerful.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#883 Re: Games, games, games
August 26, 2022, 09:20:50 pm
Doesn't work IRL tho alas!!

The Ascent DLC is pretty hard and brutal, btw. So if anyone played the base game and wanted more of a walloping, there you go....

slab_happy

• forum hero
#884 Re: Games, games, games
August 27, 2022, 07:49:17 am
quote author=Carliios link=topic=4653.msg665084#msg665084 date=1661462274]

Ahhh I fully avoided sorry cop! Didn’t want to feel sorry for mysel. Also went tee total  :lol: I feel like he needed a detox
[/quote]

Yeah, I rejected "sorry cop" when it was offered, but felt uncomfortably seen! I detoxed Harry too.

Really impressed by how much the game gets you to commit to character choices.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 08:11:42 am by slab_happy »

Wellsy

• forum hero
#885 Re: Games, games, games
August 27, 2022, 02:08:29 pm

Yay!! Hours? Level? I know a couple of soulslike fans who also think it's inferior to BB. But I do think ER should be judged as a soulslike-open-world-rpg hybrid.

Yes I think it is easier, simply because you can avoid a lot of bosses in the open world, and use exploring and looting to level up a lot. Suits me fine TBH!

Anyway after the sedate feline charms of Stray, I'm continuing my foray into cyberpunk worlds by getting straight onto the just-out Ascent DLC:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1802470/The_Ascent__Cyber_Heist/

Aka that isometric twin stick shooter RPG-lite game that is so packed with luxurious graphics, stunning detail, and classic cyberpunk atmosphere that your eyes could melt out of their sockets and dribble onto the floor.

Hours: too many to think

Level: 152 I think?

I'm gonna replay from new rather than NG+ I think.

I think it's as hard but feels easier because stuff is more escapable, yeah

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#886 Re: Games, games, games
August 30, 2022, 10:50:17 am
For the Elden Ring fans:

The microwave sequence  ;D

The ambulance, and the xp gathering  ;D

The lobster and the crab  ;D

Heeding the warning messages  ;D

Carliios

#887 Re: Games, games, games
August 30, 2022, 02:17:27 pm
Not sure I’ve seen it posted here but for any fellow swashbuckling pirate wannabes the new Monkey Island comes out September 19 and I’m very very excited. One of my favourite game series of all time!

slab_happy

• forum hero
#888 Re: Games, games, games
September 01, 2022, 04:09:08 pm

I can highly rec playing again with different stats even if you're not sure you can roleplay differently, because you get a wildly different experience right from the start -- what you can notice or interact with changes, how you perceive other characters, the hunches or gut feelings you get, etc.. There are all these layers of info and dialogue options and potential actions that you might or might not get depending on your skill allocation.

And some of the skills -- like Authority or Electrochemistry or Half-Light -- tend to prompt you in ways which can push you to develop the character differently (or make you have to actively push back against them). It's fascinating.

The Thought Cabinet also continues to be the strangest, most delightful mechanic. I'm trying to avoid learning out of game what the Thoughts do, because having to commit (or not) blind is a lot of fun.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#889 Re: Games, games, games
September 14, 2022, 01:38:19 pm
Currently 65% off on Steam, in case anyone fancies taking it for a spin:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium__The_Final_Cut/

slab_happy

• forum hero
#890 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2022, 12:42:10 pm
Now I seem to be doing this gaming thing -- anyone got recs for games that are available on macOS and don't require reflexes?

The very limited amount of motor co-ordination my brain is capable of is all reserved for climbing.

JamieG

• forum hero
#891 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2022, 02:02:22 pm
What kind of games do you think you'd like? There are a lot of games that don't require reflexes but are very different from each other.

Some games I've enjoyed recently that might fit:

Baba is You - puzzle game about changing the rules by moving words. Weird and tricky but very cool.
Creaks - really cool art style with nice puzzles, really enjoyed this one.
Roki - kind of a little bit puzzley but nothing that taxing. Just a nice story set in Scandinavian folklore.
Slay the Spire - Excellent card building roguelite. Once you get a good run going it feels awesome. Got a bit addicted to this one.
Her Story - this was amazing! You are searching through an old database of police video clips of interviews with a woman about a missing man, trying to work out what happened. I don't want to say anymore since anything extra is potentially a spoiler. But I thought it was great. I think the guy who made it has now made a couple more similar games in the same vein if you enjoy this one.

If I think of any more I'll add them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#892 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2022, 02:16:02 pm
World of Goo is a bit old, but pleasantly quirky and challenging, sure it's on most platforms.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#893 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2022, 02:38:30 pm
World of Goo is a bit old, but pleasantly quirky and challenging, sure it's on most platforms.

This is really good fun, and probably available for very little money, but quite a few of the puzzles require you to be quick and accurate with the mouse.

If you have a Switch then the new Monkey Island game is fun. I'm not sure how much of the pleasure I got from it was a nostalgia hit from playing (more like "attempting to play") The Secret of Monkey Island with my brother on the family Atari in the '90s.

JamieG

• forum hero
#894 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2022, 03:02:40 pm
Two more excellent games that don't require fast reflexes (I think).

Inside - atmospheric story/puzzle game. Some sections may require a little bit of faster reflexes but I don't remember it being at all twitchy really.

Gone Home - Excellent story game, about a girl returning home (hence the title). Again the less I say the better, but this is an ace game and definitely doesn't require any twitchy controls. Highly recommend.

yetix

• forum abuser
#895 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2022, 03:12:06 pm
Must say I've recently enjoyed:
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Witcher 3
Star Wars KOTOR 1 (and 2, but didn't enjoy the 2nd on the switch as its hella buggy) brought back some decent nostalgia from playing it many years ago

I've recently started playing Mass Effect Andromena, but I'm not sure how I feel about it right now...

Planning to get Horizon 2 and Elden Ring once I'm finished with Mass Effect

crzylgs

• stalker
#896 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2022, 06:00:50 pm
Not sure on the Mac aspect but some of my faves:

- Cities Skylines (the modern day good version of Sim City)
- Stellaris (ridiculousyl epic space '4x' strategy game, with near infinite roleplay/replayability options)
- Hearts of Iron IV (Grand strategy. Similar to Stellaris but WW2 with either 'roughly follow historical events play through' OR 'batshit crazy re-write history' version)
- Terraria, '2D Minecraft' possibly the best value game of all time. RPG where you'll spend as much time building a cool base / home as you will going off into the world to kill monsters.

Both Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV do take a few hours to pick up and have some quite deep/complicated/advanced game play mechanics.

Cities Skylines is much more user friendly and is my go to relax, chill out and build a nice city game.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#897 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2022, 08:50:45 pm
Now I seem to be doing this gaming thing -- anyone got recs for games that are available on macOS and don't require reflexes?

The very limited amount of motor co-ordination my brain is capable of is all reserved for climbing.
Any turn-based strategy games don't require reflexes and can be great fun. XCom Enemy Unknown / Enemy Within are semi-recent classics, I also really rated Mutant Year Zero which is a bit smaller scale and has an endearing amount of character and atmosphere, and of course Battletech which does everything it promises for addictive mech-based combat.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#898 Re: Games, games, games
October 15, 2022, 08:48:55 pm
What kind of games do you think you'd like? There are a lot of games that don't require reflexes but are very different from each other.

Baba is You - puzzle game about changing the rules by moving words. Weird and tricky but very cool.
Roki - kind of a little bit puzzley but nothing that taxing. Just a nice story set in Scandinavian folklore.
Slay the Spire - Excellent card building roguelite. Once you get a good run going it feels awesome. Got a bit addicted to this one.
Her Story - this was amazing! You are searching through an old database of police video clips of interviews with a woman about a missing man, trying to work out what happened. I don't want to say anymore since anything extra is potentially a spoiler. But I thought it was great. I think the guy who made it has now made a couple more similar games in the same vein if you enjoy this one.

Well, so far I've fucking loved Disco Elysium, enjoyed and been annoyed by Kentucky Route Zero in equal measure, and have been having fun revisiting my teenage AD&D years by playing Planescape: Torment.

So: I'm into narrative and interesting characters, have no objections to walls of text, like mysteries to uncover, have a very high tolerance for weird artsy-ness, and want to feel like my choices make a difference.

JamieG

• forum hero
#899 Re: Games, games, games
October 15, 2022, 09:27:48 pm

Well, so far I've fucking loved Disco Elysium, enjoyed and been annoyed by Kentucky Route Zero in equal measure, and have been having fun revisiting my teenage AD&D years by playing Planescape: Torment.

So: I'm into narrative and interesting characters, have no objections to walls of text, like mysteries to uncover, have a very high tolerance for weird artsy-ness, and want to feel like my choices make a difference.

In that case I really recommend her story. It’s a great mystery you uncover and the way you find it is unique to the order you search for clips.

I can’t believe I forgot these but both Papers Please and Obra Dinn are amazing. Made by the same one man developer. Cool simple art styles hides their depth. On the surface puzzle games but really much more about the narrative/themes/choices you are discovering/making.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal