the shizzle > music, art and culture

Games, games, games

(1/214) > >>

squeek:
Recently I've started play computer games again.  After an obsession with online Counter strike and half life many years ago through xbox games, MAME 2 player games I then had a slump and didn't play any games for a while bar a few on my girlfriends Nintendo gamecube.

I've now got a laptop with a graphics card that can run new games and have revived my love for all things polygony.  So here's a run down of what I've been playing:

Age of Empires III : Despite now liking one of the prequels as it seemed like a farming game with a bit of fighting I really enjoyed this.  The gameplay is good, the interface is quite clean, it's pretty stable, graphics are good.  It's maybe a little short on the single player, and the difficulty doesn't seem progressive as you work through it.  ie the last level isn't very difficult.

Half life 2 : Excellent game, varied, very polished, lots of thought put into the structure, lots of little touches.

Max Payne : Not that impressed, 'bullet time' seems like cheating when you use it, and seems very samey and the film noir theme doesn't really keep me interested.

Total Annihilation : Old game, but it seems pretty good I haven't played enough to get a good opinion of it yet.

I've just got darwinia which looks lovely and quite innovative and have ordered Chronnicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay, which is about a running a meat stall I think.

So what else is worth having a dable at or leaving well alone?

Anyone played any MMORPG I keep on hearing about?

andy_e:
transport tycoon still amuses me, despite being at leats ten years old.

older, and better, are:
Lemmings- obviously
Commander Keen series- original platform game
Xenon 2 Megablaster - Chees music and fantastic blasting for the angry
Italia 90- the world's worst football game is good for a laugh, and you can easily make crap teams win the world cup.

</nostalgia>

squeek:
I've not got round to playing CS Source yet through fear of losing half my spare time like I did with CS.  I enjoyed UT, is 2004 the same, but with new guns/levels/graphics?

Andi-E - suggestions that I don't have to dig legacy hardware out of the loft to play might be more useful!  Xenon 2, was featured in one of the PC mags a year or so back for a how-to-make-your-own-game feature.

andy_e:

--- Quote from: "squeek" ---Andi-E - suggestions that I don't have to dig legacy hardware out of the loft to play might be more useful!  Xenon 2, was featured in one of the PC mags a year or so back for a how-to-make-your-own-game feature.
--- End quote ---

you could download them probably

Fiend:
Ah squeek, a man with impeccable taste in hobbies. Well, apart from liking CS  :x get a grip, honestly. Anyway, games yes...

Newish:

Far Cry - excellent game, just get it. One of the few FPS games where the design of the game and technology involved makes a notable difference to the gameplay.

Quake 4 - good game, decent sequel to Q2, nice style and plenty of action.

Doom3 - good game, very atmospheric and downright scary in a few places, nice monsters.

Dawn of War - great if you like Warhammer 40k toy soldiers, but even if you don't it's an objectively good, functional, and stylish RTS.

Riddick - good choice, another good game, good graphics, stylishly done, control system can be a bit ass but the atmosphere and style is well worth it.

MMORPG:

Guild Wars - this is what I did all summer following the foot debacle. Nice graphics, some very nice settings, well controllable, it's the first MMORPG I tried and I think it's a pretty damn good one. Can be a HUGE time-sink if you explore lots tho (I've clocked up triple figure hours  :shock: )

Older games:

Blade Of Darkness - excellent, underrated 3rd person hack-em-up. Strong style and very interesting combat.

Enclave - good fantasy 3rd person hack-em-up, good and varied settings and good controls.

RTCW - good FPS, nice balance of straight-up shooter gameplay and good designs.

Undying - good FPS, interesting gameplay and some great settings and atmosphere.

Battlezone 2 - well old now but the graphics were astounding at the time, and the combination of FPS and RTS gameplay is almost unique and very well done.

Can post more if you want. If I had to narrow it down to a few suggestions it would be: Far Cry, Q4, Blade, BZ2.

Oh, finally, UT2K4 is alright, not as good as UT though, doesn;t have the same elegance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version