UKBouldering.com

Stuck in Cambridge (Read 2350 times)

dm

• regular
Stuck in Cambridge
April 01, 2008, 05:27:18 pm
I'm in Cambridge for about 3 months, and having just checked out the state of the wall at Kelsey Kerridge, am feeling desperate.  Does anyone know of anything else that exists in the area?  Maybe someone who has a woddy or campus board they'd be willing to share for a sixpack of beer or something?  Please don't tell me I'm doomed to climb on that shit-heap, I just got back from a week in Font  :(

(A search on "cambridge" didn't turn up anything useful BTW)

Also, is there anywhere I can buy chalk?

sammo

#1 Re: Stuck in Cambridge
April 01, 2008, 09:04:29 pm
Hiya,

You can buy chalk from Open Air on Green Street, just round the corner from Sainsburys.

There's a very small campus/systems board in Jesus College gym which you can probably use - someone from the Uni mountaineering club (http://www.cumc.uk.com/content/about_us/) should be able to help you out.

There used to be a couple of garage woodies (Nick's wall and Liam's wall), but I don't know if they're still going. Again, I'm sure someone at the Uni club could give you the latest information.

Best of luck! If it's any consolation, you can get to Font for the weekend if you're keen...

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#2 Re: Stuck in Cambridge
April 01, 2008, 10:20:16 pm
Haha - Duncan! - Theres nothing there. Just by a hangboard and stick it somewhere and get the fuck out whenever you can!  ;)

dm

• regular
#3 Re: Stuck in Cambridge
April 03, 2008, 12:36:40 pm
Haha - Duncan! - Theres nothing there. Just by a hangboard and stick it somewhere and get the fuck out whenever you can!  ;)

One poor deluded soul was trying to tell me that it's actually a pretty good wall, and that she'd been climbing there for 3 years!  Thanks for the link Sammo.

I might just have to try lifting some stuff to put some muscle on my scrawny frame.

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#4 Re: Stuck in Cambridge
April 03, 2008, 02:22:12 pm
Well I've been using it since 1982 and managed to convince myself long ago that it's good. It sort of depends on what you want from it. I still like it! I'm still trying to repeat stuff I did 25 years ago... Not much else locally to be honest, try to keep fit and enjoy the trips out when you can.

Some tips: go when it's quiet, really clean the holds and it's OK. Busy = greasy. Be prepared for some retro fingery stuff, font it aint. You can find the crux of left and right wall if you look.

There is the world famous long road bridge for free fingery bouldering/short routes, but I'd rather got to the KK!

dm

• regular
#5 Re: Stuck in Cambridge
April 03, 2008, 03:52:41 pm
1982 eh? :jaw: No wonder it's so polished!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal