#2 Kinda cool magic sand
October 29, 2005, 05:24:03 pm
thats crazy :shock:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Kinda cool magic sand
October 30, 2005, 09:38:50 am
Bubbs... do you often spend time on amateur chemistry sites or did someone send you the link? just curious like  :?

AndyR

• forum hero
#4 Kinda cool magic sand
October 30, 2005, 09:43:08 am
Errr, it's just a hydrophobic granular material that's denser than water - it isn't actually 'magic' fingers....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Kinda cool magic sand
October 30, 2005, 09:45:21 am
Quote from: "Falling Down"
Bubbs... do you often spend time on amateur chemistry sites or did someone send you the link? just curious like  :?

Saw the link on a blog - not my usual line in surfing!

A whole beach of the stuff would be fun.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#6 Kinda cool magic sand
October 30, 2005, 12:53:18 pm
Quote from: "AndyR"
Errr, it's just a hydrophobic granular material that's denser than water - it isn't actually 'magic' fingers....

:?

hang the witch

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Kinda cool magic sand
October 30, 2005, 05:10:30 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
A whole beach of the stuff would be fun.
That's MAD! I wonder what would happen? I expect the 'hydrophobic' quality would mean the contact between the water and particles would create vert low friction, almost like maglev, and on a shallow sloping beach the water would not loose much energy and the waves would go straight up the beach! Imagine the skimboarding potential!

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Kinda cool magic sand
October 31, 2005, 09:34:19 am
that's cool:
Lotsa toys!

there's someting for bubba to add to his christmas list...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Kinda cool magic sand
October 31, 2005, 09:50:23 am
Fantastic :)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#10 Kinda cool magic sand
October 31, 2005, 10:00:58 am
Gotta go and see my mate Geoffrey  :lol: . Now, If I can just afford enough sand to test my theory...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#11 Kinda cool magic sand
October 31, 2005, 10:11:10 am
Just don't show Fingers...

How it works:
This is a great demonstration to introduce students to the properties of substances that are hydrophobic and hydrophilic. Hydrophobic substances do not mix with water. The term "water-fearing" is often used to describe the word hydrophobic. Hydrophilic substances, on the other hand, are "water-loving". Notice how the drops of food coloring color only the water and not the oil. Since oil is hydrophobic, the oil did not mix with the food coloring or the water.

What are other examples of oil and water not mixing? A newly waxed car will make water form beads on its surface. Oil from cars will float on top of puddles. Oil and vinegar salad dressings need to be shaken up before using.

So, how does Magic Sand work? The surface of sand grains is wetted by water, which means that water molecules are attracted to sand grains. Remember, this water-loving property of sand is called a hydrophilic property. Magic Sand is regular sand that has been coated with an oil- like substance that is water-hating or hydrophobic.

Other Uses for Magic Sand
The coating on Magic Sand is like Scotchguard, which is sprayed on fabric to protect it from stains. Magic Sand was originally developed as a way to trap oil spilled from oil tankers near the shore. The idea was that when Magic Sand was sprinkled on floating petroleum, it would mix with the oil and make it heavy enough to sink. This would prevent the oil from contaminating beaches. However, it is not being used for this purpose, perhaps because of the expense of making Magic Sand.

Another potential use of Magic Sand is to bury junction boxes for electric and telephone wires in the Arctic in order to protect the utilities from the extreme cold temperatures but make it easy to dig up for repairs. Normal earth is frozen so hard because of moisture content that it is difficult to dig. However, Magic Sand remains dry and is easy to dig, regardless of how cold it is.

Additional Information:
Regular Sand vs. Magic Sand
For this activity you'll need a small amount of regular sand and Magic Sand. Fill 2 cups with water. Use a spoon to sprinkle a small amount of regular sand into one of the cups. Notice how the sand immediately sinks. Sprinkle a thin layer of Magic Sand on the surface of the water in the second cup. Why does the Magic Sand float on the surface whereas the regular sand sinks?

The surface of the regular sand grains is wetted by water, which means that water molecules are attracted to sand grains. Magic Sand is regular sand that has been coated with an oil-like substance so it is water- hating. The Magic Sand grains like to stay in contact with each other. Also, the surface tension of the water makes the Magic Sand float.

Making Magic Sand Wet
Pour a small amount of Magic Sand in a cup of water. As expected, the Magic Sand stays dry. Add about 12 drops of liquid detergent to the water and use a spoon to stir the mixture. Soap breaks down the oil coating on the sand and lowers its hydrophobic properties. Adding soap removes the "magic" from Magic Sand and causes it to behave like regular sand. The secret is revealed!

andy_e

• forum hero
#12 Kinda cool magic sand
October 31, 2005, 10:13:04 am
and after you've destroyed the hydrophilic properties you have to buy a new batch?

AndyR

• forum hero
#13 Kinda cool magic sand
October 31, 2005, 02:10:00 pm
Hydrophobic.
I doubt it,  unless the action of adding the detergent actually removes the coating - adding the detergent just changes the properties of the water so it can 'wet' a normally energetically unfavourable surface - just the same as doing the washing up.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#14 Kinda cool magic sand
October 31, 2005, 07:18:08 pm
too much science ruins the magic  :crazy:

Paz

• junky
#15 Kinda cool magic sand
October 31, 2005, 07:48:41 pm
I can't see the movies so can someone confirm for me:
It's not proper sand, i.e. soil.  It's cheating.  

I wouldn't normally worry but I am (supposed to be) writing a thesis on it.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#16 Kinda cool magic sand
November 01, 2005, 12:18:20 am
Quote from: "Paz"
I can't see the movies so can someone confirm for me:
It's not proper sand, i.e. soil.  It's cheating.  

I wouldn't normally worry but I am (supposed to be) writing a thesis on it.

Magic Sand is regular sand that has been coated with an oil- like substance that is water-hating or hydrophobic.

You've confused me with the 'soil' bit?!

Now a thesis on why 'whistling sand' whistles/squeaks, that I would read. Mind you I kinda agree with Fingers, I don't really want anyone to spoil the 'magic'!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal