UKBouldering.com

Rock climbing link to Dupuytren's disease (Read 121938 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Yep, i have my doubts too. Climbed for first time since it appeared on Wednesday, and it's already desensitising.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
I tried some high rep kettle bell swings for a bit of cardio, it had the unexpected benefit of massaging out the Dupuytren's and leaving my hand much more mobile. Only lasts a day or so.

I've found it hard to motivate myself to do the swings so am back to claw hand.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Yep, i have my doubts too. Climbed for first time since it appeared on Wednesday, and it's already desensitising.

One year on and it's now doubled in size and is a visible lump, much bigger than the first one, and causes pain when puling on big holds on steeper boards, especially when you have to change hand positioning while weighted.

Bit more concerned about this one, even though finger movement is unaffected.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Update. Noticed fingers locking up slightly and clicking with a slight pain when i force them to close. Anyone else with DS having this? Been like this for a while, but feels like worsening of late.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
I completed this lady's research survey - she's Italian and the wording is a little clunky but I thought it might help...

Incidentally, I definitely don't have Dupuytren's but I do have ganglion type lumps in both hands broadly underneath my ring fingers. I get zero hassle with these but they are definitely getting worse over time, albeit slowly!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Why do you think it's not DC? The nodules are the start.

I've found my fingers start locking open on both hands now after a hard climbing session, have to force them closed with a hard click when they release. Not sure if it's related or not.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
[quoteSA Chris]Why do you think it's not DC?[/quote]

Because I've had them for 7+ years and the rate of worsening is thankfully so slow?

SA Chris

• forum hero
One of the ones on my right hand hasn't grown in about 10 years, but a second has come up in the last 6 months and is now twice the size of the other.

There is usually a characteristic small dimple in the skin either just above or below it.

tomtom

• forum hero
[quoteSA Chris]Why do you think it's not DC?

Because I've had them for 7+ years and the rate of worsening is thankfully so slow?
[/quote]

Similar to Si - mines not changed in a few years (maybe got better)

Guess I should just be grateful?

SA Chris

• forum hero
Apparently many adults don't progress beyond the nodules. The one growing on my ring finger is coming up fast though, the ones on my pinkies on both hands haven't grown at all.

There's a facebook page now, i recommend you don't follow it as it will freak you the fuck out..

tomtom

• forum hero
Disappointingly, a lump has appeared on my left hand (palm below little finger - a classic Dup spot apparently) in the same spot as my right hand. The one in my right has stabilised/shrunk a little over the years - but the one on the left is a little niggly - I guess its new and making its presence felt :D

But my Q - is there any new knowledge or advice for this? From my scan nothing seems to have moved on much in the last 10 years or so? To summarise what I think is the present state of knowledge - no one knows why it happens though its possibly genetic (Scandinavian links), theres no real therapy for it - surgery is the only thing that seems to work (and mine is a long long way from being that bad). In other words get used to it TomTom....

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
That sounds like a fair summary. I'd add, avoid high dose vit C and glucosamine supplements, on a precautionary basis as there has been suggestion these can promote DC progression.

tomtom

• forum hero
That sounds like a fair summary. I'd add, avoid high dose vit C and glucosamine supplements, on a precautionary basis as there has been suggestion these can promote DC progression.

Thanks Jon not taking either - anecdotally - the one on my RH got much better after having 2 months of high dosage vit D (250 ug a day prescribed for a deficiency - about 10 times the required) - though since then I've been taking a daily supplement at a regular dosage (10-25ug) so that casts some doubt on it... 

It may be no coincidence that I'm climbing/training 5-6 days a week since March which is a step up from any previous frequency...

Danny

• junky
I thought I might mention here that training pockets on a fingerboard seems to aggrivate my dups. Not sure if others have a similar experience.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Is it worth chatting to a GP when you have had a lump for a while, or just wait until it causes issues (other than getting skinned on slopers every once in a while). I think the NHS site said just get in touch if it stops you doing things...

SA Chris

• forum hero
I thought I might mention here that training pockets on a fingerboard seems to aggrivate my dups. Not sure if others have a similar experience.

I've been using my fingerboard a bit more recently, and find my fingers have a tendency to "lock out" the next morning when I wake up, and only move with a bit of pressure, and give a small jolt of pain, and a sharp click. Not sure if this is DC related or just old age. I have more discomfort training on a steep board and big holds though, they tend to catch right on nodules.

There is a group on FB called "DART, Dupuytrens Advocating Radiation Therapy" where radiation therapy seems to be recommended, but not sure about availability in the UK, and pretty sure not an option on the NHS.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Three, possibly four of the stupid nodule things here. I've been ignoring them for a couple of years now, they seem fairly benign and don't cause pain, other than if I really stretch the fingers open. I also have palindromic rheumatism and mentioned them to my consultant, she didn't seem overly concerned.

Are other people in the ignore camp?

petejh

• forum hero
Another ignore camp-dweller here. Modules on pinkie and ring finger tendons of both hands, been there over ten years now. They seem to have shrunk a bit over the last two years. Used to cause occasional minor discomfort but nothing at the moment.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
My dad has dupytrens and has had 2 operations. I got a nodule in the same place (palm over little finger tendon), same hand, about 10 years ago. It grew a bit, was sore for a while when climbing, but over the last 8 or so years it has gradually shrunk and is now not really noticeable at all. I keep my hand stretched but I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I've not done anything. I personally don't think they actually shrink. More your hand adapts to accommodate them, and they desensitise.

I won't do anything until it significantly affects what I do. I am quite careful about keeping hands open, massage forearms at trigger points to reduce tightness, and stretch my hands regularly.

Neither of my parents had it, nor did their parents as far as I know, although one grandfather died young, the other was a hand engraver and violinist, and my dad never mentioned he had any issues.

I am the only one of 3 brothers to have any issues at all though, which sometimes makes me wonder if it is at all linked to climbing, but if you look at people on Facebook Groups it seems to indicate not.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
My assumption is that climbing can trigger early onset in genetically susceptible people. People who might otherwise never present with symptoms, or maybe only much later in life.
That's based only on the observation that I know a lot of climbers with some DC presentation at an atypically young age. I'd also guess that this is a fairly recent phenomena resulting at least in part from increased climbing/training intensity in recent decades among participants.

Paul B

• forum hero
Another in the ignore camp here. Mine were the most problematic towards the end of a long trip when I ended up climbing in Spain on pockets. My diet was poor and my alcohol consumption was probably relatively high.

erm, sam

• forum hero
ignore

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
My 67 yo dad has Dupuytrens and didn't know until I pointed it out - he thought the nodules were just calluses from decades of wielding spades at work. My Dupuytrens was sufficiently bad that I got the less invasive keyhole surgery for it 2-3 years ago (at age 41-42). It's since redeveloped and is near as bad now, as it was then. Now I've just decided to cope with it until it becomes unbearable (not much choice anyway - suspect it's a low priority for hospitals at present!). So, lots of stretching, particularly before climbing - as otherwise my little finger tends to prang below holds! And, needless to say,  I really don't get in with big indoor slopers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
i do wonder if the nodules catching on the knobbles on the Holdz type slopers sometimes helps....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal