UKBouldering.com

Rock climbing link to Dupuytren's disease (Read 121931 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
For the last two weeks my little finger (which the lump is in line with) has been twitching like mad on and off, proper spasms. Is this an ominous sign that it might be getting worse? Anyone had similar?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I get pins and needles/ numbness in my little finger. Never though to associate it with DC, pretty sure it is referred from back problems.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Hopefully it's just me correlating. My back has been OK for a while.

tomtom

• forum hero
Shit. Just found a small lump for my ring* finger tendon in my RH (its about the size of a large grain of rice). No pain, no contracture. Having schlepped through 4-5 pages of threads - it seems there is little to do about it until it causes pain/problems.. Have I missed anything/is there anything I can/should do about it? Aside from stretching that may or may not help :)

Or is it just wait for it to get bad enough to require surgery? No need to stop climbing/training?

*edit - sorry put index in first post..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
My tendons feel bigger than rice grains tbh, lumps are lentil sized. Mine doesn't seem to be progressing the last five years. Massage it, stretch it.

tomtom

• forum hero
Thanks JB. No contracture whatsoever, but was a bit of a shock to find it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Mine is more lentil sized too. Climbing or not climbing seems to have no effect, so you may as well carry on.

tomtom

• forum hero
Shit. Just found a small lump for my ring* finger tendon in my RH (its about the size of a large grain of rice). No pain, no contracture. Having schlepped through 4-5 pages of threads - it seems there is little to do about it until it causes pain/problems.. Have I missed anything/is there anything I can/should do about it? Aside from stretching that may or may not help :)

Or is it just wait for it to get bad enough to require surgery? No need to stop climbing/training?

*edit - sorry put index in first post..

Just been re-evaluating my lump after a day at Curbar seems to have worked it a little bit.

I initially thought it was on my ring finger - but now pretty certain its on the tendons from my little finger. Apparently this is less common. Nothing else to report... :/

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I've got 2 lumps on each hand and on my left hand there seems to be growing some sort of worm hole/portal to another dimension similar I think to what Jonboy has. Have only noticed this recenlty and can only say with the little amount of climbing I do these days, it seems to be getting worse the less I climb although it doesn't actually seem to cause any pain, just looks bad?

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
Just keep on trucking till it gets in the way in finger/hand jams.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Is it pulling your fingers in yet? Restricting how far back you can bend them?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Mine doesn't seem to have advanced in four years since I first noticed it. Biggest problem is callus management, to stop flappers.
Considering that I train or climb ~16-20 hrs per week, I'm currently doubting the link.
I definitely have restricted movement, when my hand is placed palm down on a flat surface and I try to raise my fingers. But, it hasn't changed.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

tomtom

• forum hero
An update...

Following my Dupuytrens last year - I (for other things) had a series of blood tests - which found FA except that I had low vitamin D levels. I was put on a high dosage (c.5 times normal daily input) for 6 months followed by normal levels daily supplements (that I just get from the chemist).

And... during the 6 months of high dose my Dupuytrens has nearly gone... there are still small knots there - but its much reduced and no pain whatsoever. No real changes in any of my climbing patterns or training...

Just saying....

alpinebisou

Just adding my experience for the record - this thread is a good resource.

I'm 39, climbing 25 years, no family history.

In April I discovered 2 nodules in my left hand - on the palm, tendons leading to ring finger and pinky. Initially had some sensation in them - not exactly pain, but kind of stiffness in the hand. Apparently there is often pain/sensation when they are growing. No contracture.

I saw two doctors (surgeons), who basically said come back when your hand is crippled and we'll operate.
I am lucky enough to have insurance through work so decided to have radiotherapy treatment on the hand, which they covered after some arguuing. I had it done in Guildford as a private patient at an NHS hospital, although it is not currently available on the NHS. It is the only more preventative tratment available, so I thought I'd give it ago. The evidence of its effectiveness is quite encouraging, but its not completely proven.

The doctor and staff that saw me didn't seem in any doubt it was related to climbing. They run a specialiist clinic for it and seemed to know what they were talking about / doing - they were great.

Since I had the treatment, the nodules have not progressed and maybe have even got slightly smaller. Obviously, this could have been the case anyway, and it may still get worse over time. So I can't say the treatment was 'successful', but so far it hasn't been unsuccessful. I had to take some time off climbing for the skin to heal, but nothing serious.

As it is currently, the condition doesn't affect climbing or anything else. No doctor told me to stop climbing and I wouldn't see the point unless it was a lot worse than my case.

I was taking glucosamine for probably 5 years on and off (not religiously, fairly small dose) before I got the nodules. I read some stuff about a possible connection so cut that out straight away. Can't say I noticed much difference taking it or not anyway.

Cheers, Andy

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Likewise, adding more anecdote in the hope it adds up to evidence!

I developed nodules along my LH little finger around 5-6 years ago, they progressed very slowly at first, but for the past 1-2 years the severity increased apace.  During this period I took up fingerboarding - maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

I finally bit the bullet and went to the GP about it.  I have health insurance through work and got an appointment with a consultant at a private hospital.  I explained to the consultant that my job relies on manual dexterity (I am a forensic scientist), that climbing is very important to me, and that as I am fairly young (41 y.o) I would prefer a minimally invasive treatment that does not predjudice future treatments. 

The consultant made it clear that in his opinion, surgical fasciectomy was the only choice.  I pointed out that I would prefer to avoid an approx 6 week lay-off from work (I work in dirty contaminated environments).  Also, I feared that, given the early onset of my condition, I might relapse fairly quickly, and need further intervention, and that surgery can prejudice the future use of other treatments (basically, after two surgeries, scar tissue build-up might render amputation the next recourse).

After google-inspired prodding, the consultant then admitted that needle aponeurotomy was perhaps more suitable and I got another referral to his colleague who did the treatment.  The second consultant said the needle treatment was the quite obviously the most sensible first course of action given my life-style - it might not keep the condition at bay for as long as surgery, but it can be performed repeatedly without problems (and surgery is always an option afterwards, which is not the case vice-versa).

The result: I had the needle treatment: the operation lasted around 15 minutes (amidst 1/2 day of hanging around with my arse hanging out of an unflattering gown).  The post-op damge was limited to a couple of small incisions covered by plasters: I was back climbing (indoors) in a couple of days and work was uninterrupted.  Whilst I am not "as new", my hand is less crooked and even if it reverts within a few years, I would prefer to lose another day or so than be out of action for months with the knowledge that I have permanently reduced my future prospects of recovery.

The LR:DR version:  the nature of a consultant's decision can depend more on their particular prejudices / specialities, than what is best for you: do not be afraid to query.

and TomTom... sounds like coincidence to me... but I have ordered a jar of ultra-strength Vitamen D tablets!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Sure it's old news but..

I've had some nodules in my right palm along my little finger tendon for about 15 years. The only time I've noticed growth (perceived or otherwise) in that time is when I was taking GSS, which i stopped as soon as i read about the link on here. This was about 5 years ago. Since then i've done nothing, and there is no sign of growth as far as i can see and (apart from getting a bit sore if i climb on jugs, or do a long cycle ride) it causes me no discomfort. I'll keep watching though (I'm 48 now).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I've got 2 lumps on each hand and on my left hand there seems to be growing some sort of worm hole/portal to another dimension similar I think to what Jonboy has. Have only noticed this recenlty and can only say with the little amount of climbing I do these days, it seems to be getting worse the less I climb although it doesn't actually seem to cause any pain, just looks bad?
after having 9 months off climbing last year due to shoulder surgery mine has definitely got worse to the point where I might have to do something about it, probably start by taking vitamin D supplements like Tomtom suggested and see how it goes from there although I have just started climbing again although no where near as much as I used to (once a week if I'm lucky!)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
You’re not going to believe this, but...

Mines got better.

The nodules are still very much there and calluses are still an issue, however I have recovered full mobility (ie no restrictions in the flat surface test, I can raise all fingers).
I’m putting it down to removing repeaters from my training (this has also resolved a long standing tendonitis in my right brachioradialis (I know, n=1, correlation not being causation etc etc)) and switching to deadhangs/frenchies/pullups on the BM. Still Campusing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Just had a second one appear on my palm, on the ring finger tendon. Feels like it has appeared over the space of a month or so, to a point where it is visible under the skin and sore to the touch. I can't remember the first one (on pinkie tendon) appearing at all, or being painful, is it likely to desensitise over time? I've made no changes to training, diet or anything, if anything, climbing less than usual right now.

Hope this doesn't end my dream of Olympic Gold.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
Mine seem to go through phases of being more/less prominent and more/less tender.
One hand was particularly sore on lumps first appearance. I have also pulled tendons in my palm and a friend discovered his lumps were cysts, not dupuytrens.

Standard disclaimer that you should ignore all medical advice on the internet and if concerned have it checked out, have you had the other lump 'diagnosed'.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Yes, had last one properly diagnosed, has the classic dimple in the skin just above it where it's attaching, not had this one officially diagnosed, but it has the classic dimple too, so assuming it's the same.

What did he do with the cysts? Hit them with a King James Bible?

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
I think they either vanished (benefit of cysts over dupuytrens) or he now just ignores, which I think, unless they are bothering you is now the advice.

a13c

• regular
I've had one properly diagnosed 2-3 years ago on my left middle finger, since then I've had a pair of lumps on on my right hand pinkie and ring and one on my left thumb... My all healing osteopath said that you can massage and stretch them out when they're new but that didn't work me. The next best is to just keep stretching them so the contracture doesn't set in. I can cope with the lumps but can't be arsed with permanently folded fingers!

tomtom

• forum hero
Apparently it’s called the Viking disease - some 30% of pop of certain Scandinavian countries have it at some point.

Mine nearly completely cleared up after I went on a course of high dose vit D. Cause or coincidence? Dunno. Not come back since...

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
My all healing osteopath said that you can massage and stretch them out when they're new...

I doubt it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal