UKBouldering.com

Insomnia (Read 5533 times)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Insomnia
October 26, 2005, 08:31:26 pm
All I want in life is two good nights sleep back to back, you wouldnt think it could be that difficult could you. On average over the last three weeks I have had three ours of sleep per night, or something around that mark anyway. I am perpetually tired.
You know on fight club when he says, when you have insomnia you are never really asleep, and never really awake, that couldnt be more true.
I'm gonna have to get greg to sing me some lullabies in his husky voice.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Insomnia
October 26, 2005, 09:14:35 pm
Are you stressed out? Are you depressed? Both are very common causes of insomnia.

If you can't sleep, it's better to get up and do something for half an hour than just lie there trying to sleep, which never seems to work.

If you can't sort it, I'd get a short course of sleeping pills and see if that helps - a course of a month or so won't cause any dependency problems.

Or smoke a fat spliff and have a beer ;)

saltbeef

• forum hero
#2 Insomnia
October 26, 2005, 10:24:43 pm
as yo man bubbs says. are you stressed, or depressed.? good sleep hygiene. have your room, tidy and just for sleep, sex. if you don't sleep, try reading before going to bed. if its noisy, get some ear plugs from boots, they revolutionisd my sleep. if your in bed for an hour and no sleep, get up have a warm milky drink, (fnar fnar) don't watch tv. leave the lights somewhat dimed and go back to bed after a read/ when you feel ready. insomnia is a bitch. don't get sleeping pills, don't get on the pop, don't drink cafeinne after midday, and go running, or some aerobic exercise, it'll make yu tired. hope that helps.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#3 Insomnia
October 26, 2005, 10:55:14 pm
opiates?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 08:18:08 am
I reckon theres a lot to be said for good honest exercise tiring you out.

However, if you go climbing (or something that you get really emotionally involved in) then sometimes its hard to stop thinking about 'that move' or sequence or something - its probably best to do something really boring (like running  :wink: ) before you turn in.

Buz reckons to think about nothing, that didnt work for me, me mam reckons to count, and claims she has never gotten past 100! I just seem to think about nice things - thinking about actual events or things that have happened doesnt help!

jonas

• regular
  • gajin
    • Tusen tranor
#5 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 09:11:55 am
I used to have big problems with insomnia. People have already listed the common causes, but for me the root of the problem was vitamin-B deficiency. I was a test subject (control group) in some research on working with vibrating machines, and as part of the test, they made us all have a really thorough medical exam, and one of test showed that I had that deficiency. I started to take really strong vitamin pills (prescribed variety) and my sleeping problem more or less disappeared. I also had a lot of aches in the muscels before starting to take vitamin pills, which I always wrote that off as natural soreness from training, but that stopped to.

So it doesn't have to be stress, etc... there can be a lot of other reasons.

Greg C

• forum hero
#6 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 09:19:42 am
Writing graded lists is a bad idea when comes to trying to get some sleep, every time I'm just about to drift off I wake with a start and  remember I've missed off some one move 7b eliminate Gaskins did 8 years ago on Farleton Knott.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#7 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 09:20:46 am
on the earplugs ting, I have considered this but always been worried about not hearing alarm and not getting up for work...how do you get round this?

am seriously considering this as my sleep has been shot since I moved down here - woken up by car alarm at half four this morning, kept going right through till seven.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 09:48:39 am
I've just had two shitty nights in a row. I reckon it's partly due to lack of sunshine / SAD. I've heard those SAD lights help, but not actually tried them myself. I also reckon it's due to doing less exercise than I was in the summer.

AndyR

• forum hero
#9 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 10:11:22 am
I've had some shitty sleep over the past couple of weeks, but that's due to having a seven month old baby. Any ideas?

Rico

• menacing presence
#10 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 10:12:05 am
I've had sleeping problems for years and these days just watch TV until I fall asleep. It leaves me tired and irritable the next day but I gave up trying to find a sensible solution ages ago.

Although with the advent of ‘Babestation' and the like, even this doesn't work as well as it used to.

Damn slags.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#11 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 10:17:02 am
I don't have sleeping problems but I reckon saltbeef's ideas are good for sure. All about relaxing beforehand (combined with some exercise during the day) and making sure everything is peaceful in the room. I've found earplugs to be really useful for making things extra....well, quiet. I think alarms would cut through them though.

Also my partner rates Valerian (sp?) homeopathic tablets - they aren't sleeping pills, they're a natural remedy thing that helps relax your muscles and stuff. Maybe worth a look.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#12 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 10:34:28 am
i rate having a milky drink, it does work!

failing that, Diazepam was a pretty effective solution  :wink:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#13 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 10:46:53 am
Quote from: "AndyR"
I've had some shitty sleep over the past couple of weeks, but that's due to having a seven month old baby. Any ideas?

Sell the baby to the cat food makers. You'll get a mint - nice size at 7 months.

AndyR

• forum hero
#14 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 11:14:12 am
Quote from: "dobbin"
Quote from: "AndyR"

Sell the baby to the cat food makers. You'll get a mint - nice size at 7 months.

I'll look into it - the extra money might come in handy - I need a new pair of boots.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 11:38:15 am
Earplugs don't work for me, makes Tinnitus worse. Melatonin is pretty effective for making you sleep, but you can't get it in this country.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#16 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 03:02:08 pm
Managed 8 hourse last night, for the first time in ages and feel so very much better for it.
Reading is the way forwards, for insomnia tv is killer, never watch tv when you can't sleep.
As reccommended been having plenty of milky drinks and so on cheers guys.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 03:30:28 pm
Milky Drinks with ground nutmeg if you want sweet dreams. Apparently nutmeg is hallucinogenic!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 03:36:55 pm
Don't overdo it though - too much nutmeg will kill you!

runt

• obsessive maniac
#19 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 04:07:33 pm
I recommend  a value pack of post its, then scribble out everything you have to do for the next day before bed = no waking up thinking "shit I forgot to do this that and the other"

or is this a sign of cracking up in itself!!?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#20 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 04:45:08 pm
When I was a yoot i was told that brewer's yeast tablets were good for dreams.  So I used to eat them by the dozen before bed. I think they worked.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#21 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 05:04:59 pm
so thats why your so wierd then?
how about cracking one off?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#22 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 05:33:59 pm
works every time

saltbeef

• forum hero
#23 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 11:13:47 pm
you'll hear your alarm clock through your ear plugs.
opiates.... hmmm depends if you want respiratory depression, constipation and a nasty habit, or just a bit of kip!

clm

• forum hero
#24 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 11:18:08 pm
establish a pattern, go to bed at the same timne and get up at the same time even at weekeknds and even if yoiu have a late one.  get your body into the pattern.

dont stress about it - it will become cyclical.

try to stay awake....and guess what will happen??

saltbeef

• forum hero
#25 Insomnia
October 27, 2005, 11:21:18 pm
the monster in the cupboard comes out and eats you?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#26 Insomnia
October 28, 2005, 06:51:06 am
its under the bed, don't you know anything doctor?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#27 Insomnia
October 28, 2005, 10:14:45 am
Try a bit of access work, youll find yourself nodding off at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately the side effects are getting enormously fat cos you eat and drink to much and doing naff all at weekends cos your elbows hurt.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#28 Insomnia
October 28, 2005, 11:22:26 am
I get that anyway, without doing any rope access work. Apart from the bit about nodding off and dropping hats.

The worst thing though is when you pull back the duvet make your way to the refrigerator; one dry potato inside, no lie not even bread, jam.

Then the light above your head goes bam.

Happens all the time to me.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#29 Insomnia
October 30, 2005, 08:52:36 am
Music got me through a fairly horrendous insomniac patch.  Non-vocal stuff that you're completely familiar with (mogwai, sigur ros, gsybe for me) played only just loud enough to hear if you are trying.  

Worked for me because my insomnia seemed due to my mind being too "busy" (often would get no sleep because i was worrying too much about having no sleep) - the music gave my brain something to lock-on to and calm down with and got me to drift off fairly quickly.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#30 Insomnia
October 30, 2005, 09:40:58 am
Unless I am really tired I have to have the radio on (usually a news channel) to be able to get to sleep. Otherwise I am just thinking about the day and all the stuff I have to do the next day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal