UKBouldering.com

Baslow info request (Read 23904 times)

Paz

• junky
#75 Re: Baslow info request
November 01, 2007, 04:50:40 pm
A bit of quim fingers going on there too.  Did you deliberately both wear complimentary yellow and brown outfits (and chalk bag ?!) for Cofe's photo or is that just coincidence?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#76 Re: Baslow info request
November 01, 2007, 05:15:26 pm
Dunno about left and right hand starts, we just went up it from the lowest point and the landing was worrying. Think I used a slightly different sequence than Al. My way felt pretty easy. 6a+. Would have said the groove was soft 6b. When compared to Remergence or Nicotine stain, or the 6b arete problem (Balls Out?) pictured higher up this thread. Mind you it's highball, always good to be a bit generous for highballs. Anyway, I'll ask my mates, see what they thought.

Whilst I'm waffling, I realised my comments about the Ripper eliminate may have sounded a bit dismissive. All I meant to say was that the non-eliminate way is pretty good and should be considered the main challenge ...but the strict version is logical, also a worthwhile problem, and has an excellent finishing move.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:20:40 pm by r-man »

r-man

• forum hero
#77 Re: Baslow info request
November 04, 2007, 11:05:52 pm
Another grade opinion. The man on the groove in the photo reckons 5+ or 6a, for the groove.

r-man

• forum hero
#78 Re: Baslow info request
April 03, 2008, 01:51:19 am
the groove in the first pic is excellent. have you been on and done pensioner's bulge and that lot? also, Has Shaun Got False Teeeth? is a decent highball.

?Is pensioner's bulge area the bit with these features:

1. Parallel twin cracks
2. Slab just to right around vague arete
3. Next buttress with bulge on left, behind trees
4. Striking pillar of rock on right hand side

If so, I tried the slab direct, with three mats. When I say tried, I got to the point where two or three pure friction moves beckoned, moved up once, moved down once. Repeated several times and eventually backed down. Woe is me. What's this one, and how hard is it? That slab is so tempting, but I'm a wuss.

Still haven't tried the stuff just to the right. Wandered off to the fact hunt stuff - good problems, probably 7b and 6c respectively.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal