UKBouldering.com

fly looking shoe (Read 4448 times)

dave

fly looking shoe
August 14, 2005, 09:38:45 pm
yo spotted this on the fiveten ting, think its some old advert:

the question is what the god dam are the white shoes on the left? i rate they look well jackson. Presumably another one of those shoes which fiveten discontinued after 6 weeks.....anyone got the jackanory?

JR

• forum abuser
#1 fly looking shoe
August 14, 2005, 09:54:49 pm
just look like a white version of the blue ansazi slipper?

dave

#2 fly looking shoe
August 14, 2005, 10:08:36 pm
my guess is this advert predates the blues by a decade or summert though. plus they don't even look the same shape.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#3 fly looking shoe
August 14, 2005, 10:09:30 pm
Quote from: "JR"
just look like a white version of the blue ansazi slipper?

I assume so, it looks like they've got the exact same little artwork thing on them.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 06:31:09 am

I don't see the similarity?  :?

dave

#5 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 08:15:38 am
they look more like a fly than they do the new blue slipper!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#6 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 08:24:32 am
I don't know if you lads haven't seen the blue ones or summat, but they don't have a big gaping v-neck thing.

dave

#7 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 08:28:09 am
amen to that dobbin.

looks like they might have been a kinda min-90s flava - any of you cats from back in the day got the 7-11?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#8 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 08:53:29 am
Don't remember 'em Davo, though I do remember the much-admired-but in-actual-fact-shite-Rocksocks - did anyone ever own a pair? I remember they looked flava...

dave

#9 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 08:58:32 am
never had ny rockcocks. never really saw any real people wearing them. only in advert in mags.

on a similar note on hard grit that dave jones on braille trail has got some teal coloured anasazi velcros - word!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 09:05:33 am
Once had a pair of Boreal Matrix in a rocksock stylee, man they were shite! Boots with no internal support are good nothing.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#11 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 09:16:29 am
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Once had a pair of Boreal Matrix in a rocksock stylee, man they were shite! Boots with no internal support are good nothing.

me too, though i thought that the crapness of the boot was made up for by the fact that I looked crazy fly.

Why don't boot companies do some sort of "dopeness test"? I mean 5.10 Anasazi Laceups stick like shizzle to the blankizzle but pink ain't exactly this years black is it?

dave

#12 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 09:47:35 am
one o my Gs from back at uni used to have these 5-10 laceups which looked vaguely like the current laceups, but they were postbox red, real suede adn I think they were not at stiff as current laceups. think he had them since the mid/late 90s but not worn them. no idea how they performed but they looked well weapon. can't remember what they were called.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#13 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 12:33:07 pm
were they the vx or something tech sounding, they were real good for slabs

dave

#14 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 01:30:12 pm
wasn't the VX just what they initially called the V10s when they first came out?

Bungle.

• player
#15 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 02:21:06 pm
the VX was the grey lace up with the Five Ten Patented awful Heal , where as the red boots actually had a fairly good heal and were quite good in action , however usefully i cant remember what they were called

The forerunner to the V10's was the dragon

and the old school boots that started the thread were from Memory fairly crap

dave

#16 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 02:35:26 pm
the VX was the grey lace up

you sure? I swear down the VX was what they initially called the V10 (X meaning ten). RE the dragon/V10, weren't they were just supposed to be a slipper/velcro version of the same shoe.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 02:59:31 pm
Red lace-ups were called Razors I think. The VXs were indeed grey (with red rubber triangle flap with VX written on it) then they did another VX which was white, with two strips of black band on them.

Bungle.

• player
#18 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 03:00:23 pm
That is possible concerning  the VX (american use of roman numerals who would have expected that )

As far as the V10 / Dragons , I always thought the dragon came out first and then the V10 was the slightly wider fitting version and easier to get on .

Personally i also think the V10 was a much under rated shoe .

however you may be right, as my boot train spotter skillz have been on the wane since @ 1997

dave

#19 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 03:33:21 pm
If everyone says the VX's were a laceup than i'll go with that, but I'm still 90% sure they called the V10 that to begin with, probably why it got changed if they'd used that name already or summert.

didn't they also have a grey/burgundy version of the mesa out at one point anall? fuck me they get through a lot of boot designs. like the gold womens zlipper. also my pair of guide tennies went back to the shop 3 times when they feel to bits within months, and each time the replacemnt pair was different, different laces, different hexagones blanked out etc. and they are all totally different to the current version, and all completely different to the original "best forgotten art" shoes.

another one - remember that photo of dawes on that blackrocks scoop promentory project, the one where he's facing outwards with a massive wirebrush on his harness? what were those shoes, look a bit like pinks but a kinda sagey green/grey colour? were they the mysterious VXs?

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 03:40:27 pm
remember that photo of dawes on that blackrocks scoop promentory project, the one where he's facing outwards with a massive wirebrush on his harness? what were those shoes, look a bit like pinks but a kinda sagey green/grey colour? were they the mysterious VXs?

Correctamundo. (i.e. yes they were)

Graeme

• menacing presence
#21 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 03:41:11 pm
Yeah they were the VX'x very similar to those right stiff shoes what the hell were they called? Newton or something, they also had another velcro years ago, the UFO I think, the white things in the add were the original anasazi slipper I think.

Looked a bit odd really, like the velcro but without the split tongue in it.

dave

#22 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 03:48:19 pm
word the UFOs are what matt birch has on in stick-it innit? also sported by leo in a photo of him "grimacing up another cromlech desperate" if i recal correctly in an article about north wales bouldering in OTE 74 (the first issue i bought). hows about that for memory trivia recall?

Graeme

• menacing presence
#23 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 04:27:43 pm
Thems the ones and they don't make them anymore either, they looked pretty good too.

AndyR

• forum hero
#24 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 05:08:44 pm
Quote from: "Graeme"
Thems the ones and they don't make them anymore either, they looked pretty good too.

UFOs were the best (actually, mainly comfiest) boots I ever owned - had a couple of pairs then they vanished - RIP

Also had a pair of Newtons - within a couple of wearings, they smelled as though a dog witha penchant for eating week-old mackeral had crapped in them - horrific - nice boots, but the smell used to make me fall off things.

Have never had an (unacceptable) odour problem in any other pair of boots in 20 years of climbing......

dave

#25 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 05:36:39 pm
Quote from: "Ru"
then they did another VX which was white, with two strips of black band on them.

shit i've just remembered the white ones, If i recall right they looked a bit like those white newtons, but was the fabric round the lace holes yellow?

so these are the older VXs then:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#26 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 08:14:56 pm
The rocksocks were amazing, if anyone has a pair languishing in a cupboard 'cos they were shit' then send em over to me. size 7.5 please.

also my pair of guide tennies went back to the shop 3 times when they feel to bits within months,

Which shop was this? When mine did that, I got told to stick them up my arse and fuck off whilst doing it.

dave

#27 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 10:00:30 pm
was t'edge shop. first pair was even 6 months old and had me loctite repairs done and they still got me sorted for me - word. it was the sole that kept delaminating. the second pair then did it again inside 3weeks. classic 5:10.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#28 fly looking shoe
August 15, 2005, 10:28:55 pm
I started using a pair of 5.10 Mesas for trad climbing this year. I bought them comfy and at first I loved them, but pretty soon the stench became unbearable. I've ditched them for some Sportiva Barracudas that have bagged out slightly after a winter season of bouldering - these don't smell at all.

My mate Rob used to climb in a pair of Newtons and if he was seconding a pitch, I swear I could smell him getting close (i.e. 50 feet away!), especially on a hot day.

james

• obsessive maniac
#29 fly looking shoe
August 16, 2005, 09:06:04 pm

these are called the prima, not exactly the same, close...ish.

andy_e

• forum hero
#30 fly looking shoe
August 16, 2005, 09:13:09 pm
hmm, too many shoes are too similar:

and

confused me when i saw fiveten climbers wearing mugens...

dave

#31 fly looking shoe
August 16, 2005, 10:58:57 pm
you're right, a lot do look the same:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal