UKBouldering.com

Peak based boulderer seeks quick ticks... (Read 30903 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
The bolting was surprisingly unepic, considering i've never bolted a route before. Aided the route with two ropes on, tied one off to the belay and lowered off on the other, then jummared the fixed rope bolting as I went. Only had to place five bolts (in place of three manky threads and three 17 year old Pollit bolts). The end section of the route already had brand new bolts thanks to aid climbers re-bolting the end of Kyrie Elyson recently.
 Was too goosed after bolting to do the route in a oner, but worked all the moves. Absolutely amazing climbing, after a tricky wall section it crosses the huge roof by linking a line of pods, pockets, huecos and undercuts. Some truly wild feet first moves and a hands off 'bat hang' rest on double foot bars, the bit to the chain involve walking your whole legs onto either side of a giant thread before spinning through 180 degrees to match hand and foot on a huge finishing bucket.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Sounds like more fun than a barrel of mokeys! What numbers does it get?

dave

sounds word. got any photos?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Nice one Joy....someone should start a bolt fund for these things ;).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Was only the two of us at crag so didn't get any pics of the climbing. Have got some pics of the route but will have to montage them together at home before posting. But here's a pic of someone doing it as an aid route:

Gradewise oddly it's given E7 6b in the Northern Limestone book, but it has always been a total clip-up. It's in the E7/8a section of the grade list and I think 8a is about right, i'd say it was harder than Free Monster and Roof Warrior which are as near in style as your likely to find in the UK.

dave

presumably chris craggs and alan james thought it was E7 when they did it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Out of interest, who did the FFA?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Andy Pollit 1988. Hasn't seen many repeats, presumably cos it stays wet most of the time and more recently cos the fix gear was rotten.

dave

theres a photo of someone (nadin?) on it in gordizzle stizzle's uber-book "Da Peak".

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
What angle is the shot from?

dave

the back

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
very similar to that aid shot, except the champ looks to be on a bit of a tight rope, and the second doesn't have the casual mid-fag look. Caption: Simon nadin 'the buxton stick-man', is seen flitting up 'Thormen's moth'...
for bonus points, who did the real first ascent?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Bob Dearman, A Cornish, Jeff Morgan 1969

Jeff Morgan used to be in my local climbing club (the Alfreton Mountaineering Club)as a yoot.

dave

are you sure he wasn't there as a ute? was it a spohisticated-fancy-dress climbing club?

cofe

• forum hero
Quote from: "dave"
are you sure he wasn't there as a ute?

you're thinking of doug willis. he had a ute back in the day.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Dearman, the gnarly old get :lol:

I've heard him scoff about bouldering before so I'll have to remind him how boulderers have been ticking his aid routes ;)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Quote from: "dave"
are you sure he wasn't there as a ute? was it a spohisticated-fancy-dress climbing club?

Yeah, I usually came as a Pontiac Tempest

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Seen Dearman do some amazing things with etriers. He can drill a vertical bolt ladder with the bolts six feet apart  :shock:

Plus he spent like three weeks on a patagonian big wall climbing capsule style. The style and the environment haven't really been considered compatable by anyone before or since... gnarly old get fo sho

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yeah, Dearman has got some right old tales - I had a little piece he'd written about getting old and the things he used to do - it's a nice bit of writing and I'll try to dig it out.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Good scene at the cave yesterday. Thormen's got a mighty four ascents, me, Keenus, mystery polish beast Slavek and an incredible flash from the Bransby! Bransby received a big round of aplauds from the tourists on completion, but was unable to thank the crowd as he was too busy curled up in a ball retching with exhaustion!
 Anyone who can, should go do this route now while it's dry, it is absolutely class. You will not be disappointed, I promise.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Bransby 'retching with exhaustion'.

Hardly a recommendation.

What do you mean 'it looks quite far?' Evil Kenevil made it look piss... etc.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
:lol: True but, to achieve such an extreme level of knackerage you would have to be utilising all the hideous jams used by Bransby to stay on past the normal point of hands opening up fuckedness. Realistically most people drop off well before the goose really comes out. As a redpoint it's ok (as 8as go) so long as you move fast on the horizontal bit.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
It would be nothing for a man of your calibre cowboy. Get to it y'all. Bear in mind Ben was climbing onsight and as well as near terminal exhaustion he cut his wrists and ankles to ribbons with his jamming camming foot faggottry. Keenus barely broke a sweat on his final redpoint.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Poorly constructed montage(sp?) of la route:

ned

• menacing presence
:shock:
looks amazing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal