UKBouldering.com

Rodellar (Read 3417 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Rodellar
July 11, 2005, 02:19:32 pm
I am off there in Oct for ten days. Its not really a bouldering spot although some of the waterworn scoopy limestone in the bottom of the gorge looks like it might be good.
 Just wondered if anyone has been and has any info. Does anyone know of where I could order a guidebook?

saltbeef

• forum hero
#1 Rodellar
July 17, 2005, 09:07:46 am
there is some bouldering, looks steep. you can get a guide out there. i've got guide back in the uk, if you get hold of humpty he'll lend it ya, though i think he's on his european vacation...
its really good there.

ShopGirl

#2 Rodellar
July 18, 2005, 12:39:27 pm
Hey, Tommy & the leetle Spanish chica are heading there the end of the month and word on the streets is theres a new guide out/due for the area.. They'll could  bring you one back.. it sounds amazing & the thing to do on one of the days you're there is go canyoning....

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Rodellar
October 25, 2005, 10:43:32 am
Rodellar was totally fantastic. Didn't see any worthwhile bouldering, but the routage was peerless.
 Beautiful location in the foothills of the Pyronese(sp?). Spectacular scenery everywhere. All crags in walking shot of the village.
 The crags where very varied in height style and aspect. There are shady crags for all times of day. The best routes were in the 7b and above range and tended towards long, steep/very steep and juggy/tufary.
 Unfortunately we arrived after the first heavy rains for 7months and many of the best tufa routes were wet for the whole week :cry: . Fortunately there where still heaps of classics to be done which were dry, but can't wait to revisit when the Gran Boveda is fully dry. Sept/Early Oct are probably the best time to go to get nice climbing weather and the best chance of dry tufas, but it can stay bone dry much later into the year.
 Bungalow accomadation is the way forward and dispite the high prices quoted on the websites is only ten euros per bod per night (this is a special rate for climbers, punters have to pay full wack apparently :lol: ).
 There is also another amazing climing area at Alquezar, about 40mins drive away. The topo is available at the Rodellar campsites. Alquezar has some fantastic long vertical routes on a huge golden wall below the village and various awesome looking cave crags. The biggest cave, home to Tsunami 8c if truly massive with some of the most gobsmacking lines i've ever seen, all of which seemed to be seepage free. Again I really need to go back and climb on this crag.
 Will try and post some pics up soon.

squeek

• junky
#4 Rodellar
October 25, 2005, 11:43:12 am
Did you book the bungalow before you went?  If so where from?

Will it be too hot/seeping in Spring?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Rodellar
October 25, 2005, 01:26:00 pm
There is plenty of shady crags so heat will not be a bother. The big tufas may well be seeping, but there will still be heaps of totally dry stuff and Alquezar will be fine.
 Google for 'El Puente camping' to get the website for accomadation. We e-mail a reservation beforehand, although you would almost certainly be able to just turn up and book in, it has plenty of excess capacity in the off-season (climbing on-season :D ). Ignore the prices on the website.

squeek

• junky
#6 Rodellar
October 25, 2005, 01:45:55 pm
Cheers for the info, much appreciated, I'm thinking of a sports climbing trip next year.

Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Ignore the prices on the website.

Are the prices on the web site, not per appartment per night, instead of per person per appartment per night?  â‚¬62.50 for 6?  Just wondering as if it's per person then it would be €2625 a week which seems extremely expensive.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Rodellar
October 31, 2005, 03:46:08 pm
I think it's per apartment per night on the site, but this is still pricey if you go out as a pair. If there were five of you in a cabin I doubt the special climber rate would be much/any cheaper, but it certainly is for two.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal