UKBouldering.com

Apple Macs (Read 5201 times)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
Apple Macs
June 04, 2005, 11:52:08 am
hey guys, I just got an apple and was wondering if you guys knew of any software good for downloading stuff on it? or any mac tips?

Chris

ps if anyone else has one and would like Final Cut Pro HD, Photoshop CS or anything like that, PM me ;)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Apple Macs
June 04, 2005, 12:40:35 pm
I've used macs for about 2 years and love em. Can't really think off the top of my head about any good utility software that really improves  OSX. A download manager might help, but I just use Safari most of the time. If you go to the apple site there's a section that's got lots of downloads on it, shareware and freeware etc, and lots of little utilities.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#2 Apple Macs
June 04, 2005, 04:39:15 pm
You can get soulseek for the mac which in my opinion is still a good source for music: http://www.7nights.com/asterisk/archive/2004/05/soulseek-for-mac-osx

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#3 Apple Macs
June 04, 2005, 06:33:50 pm
cool, i heard mac soulseek is a nightmare to set up? im trying out iSwipe which is like Bittorrent and Gnutella put together. Firefox mac works really well, just as it did on the PC

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#4 Apple Macs
June 10, 2005, 11:45:02 am
Apologies in advance for the geekiness of this post:

For those Macheads out there we just impressed ourselves by superflying a batch of old original G3 iMac's. We bunged some extra RAM in them and they are now running OSX 10.4 Tiger with iMovie HD on them. Even cooler than that is we pushed OSX onto the iMac over firewire from one of our G5's as we only had a DVD copy of Tiger and the iMac's don't read DVD's. Clever huh? :D

If you know a bit about Mac's, be impressed  :D , if you don't, just pretend you are impressed. :wink:

JR

• forum abuser
#5 Apple Macs
June 10, 2005, 12:07:38 pm
lol, we need to get you out to the pub more often toby!

You around for saturday night?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#6 Apple Macs
June 10, 2005, 02:30:42 pm
unfortunately not, down in the big smoke. is it your bday bash?

JR

• forum abuser
#7 Apple Macs
June 11, 2005, 11:08:45 am
yup, but were having a few drinks on wednseday night, on the actual day, if your around.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#8 Apple Macs
June 12, 2005, 11:53:10 pm
I may be able to make it, as long as I can borrow a Mac laptop from work.  :wink:

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#9 Apple Macs
June 15, 2005, 07:36:20 am
riiiiight, somehow I changed my Itunes icon to a ruler and a pencil?! Any clues as to how to get it back to being the note logo (How do you change icons??)

thanks

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#10 Apple Macs
June 15, 2005, 08:56:20 am
If it's the icon in the dock at the bottom of the screen drag it to the bin and create a new alias to iTunes by dragging the iTunes icon from your applications folder onto the dock.

JR

• forum abuser
#11 Apple Macs
June 15, 2005, 10:19:02 am
god, windows is so much easier - all you have to do is right click.

You mac boys.....  :lol:  :roll:  :wink:

cofe

• forum hero
#12 Apple Macs
June 15, 2005, 10:45:21 am
you flogging any of those macs obi? tis but a query.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Apple Macs
June 15, 2005, 11:59:07 am
Quote from: "JR"
You mac boys.....  :lol:  :roll:  :wink:

JR I use both daily, WinXP, SP2 and Mac OSX10.4 PussyCat. Usually I sit firmly on the fence (its not comfortable!  :cry: ) but the more I use the Mac's the more I realise how much time is wasted on PC's not actually doing anything productive.

It would be fascinating to do a time study to find out over a year how much time you spent tweeking, waiting, upgrading, rebooting, reinstalling, configuring network settings, using regedit, searching for drivers, etc etc etc on a PC compared to a Mac.

I'm not suggesting we start the age old PC 'v' Mac debate, cos it's pointless, they are two very different animals. But for the first time I am seriously considering parting with my own hard earned cash for a MacMini for home use.

Quote from: "JR"
god, windows is so much easier - all you have to do is right click.
are you sure it's as simple as that on a PC?  :wink:

JR

• forum abuser
#14 Apple Macs
June 15, 2005, 12:28:52 pm
Quote from: "Obi-Wan is lost..."

Usually I sit firmly on the fence (its not comfortable!  :cry: )

Ill bet!

It would be fascinating to do a time study to find out over a year how much time you spent tweeking, waiting, upgrading, rebooting, reinstalling, configuring network settings, using regedit, searching for drivers, etc etc etc on a PC compared to a Mac.

I'm not suggesting we start the age old PC 'v' Mac debate, cos it's pointless, they are two very different animals. But for the first time I am seriously considering parting with my own hard earned cash for a MacMini for home use.

Netiher am I!   You like what you know an all that.  My problem is ive hardly used macs, and the only times we used them to do constructive things, like at uni,  reading data from all sorts of sensors they always crashed at least a couple of times a day losing all the data that had just been taken on that run.

are you sure it's as simple as that on a PC?  :wink:

Well...... almost! its very easy though! ;-)

You popping down the devonshire tonight?  I assume Kim's texted you.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#15 Apple Macs
June 15, 2005, 02:01:31 pm
If it's the icon in the dock at the bottom of the screen drag it to the bin and create a new alias to iTunes by dragging the iTunes icon from your applications folder onto the dock.

ta, ill try that when I get home.

Im very impressed with the Mac i got, although I thought it would have been much quicker considering the spec (2gig processor 1gbram). and its pretty slow loading CDs or DVDs, is this a universal mac problem or maybe just something wrong with mine. Tiger is certainly an impressive OS

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#16 Apple Macs
June 18, 2005, 05:26:31 pm
crisis!!

right i plugged my iRiver into my apple (external HD basically) and the power ran out, i got a message saying I should have ejected it properly, and now when i plug it in, it won't recognise it?

can i fix this???

thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal